Cyborg 009: Call of Justice is a All-CGI Cartoon film trilogy directed by Koudai Kakimoto (with 009 Re:Cyborg's Kenji Kamiyama as chief director). It was released over the course of 3 weeks (November 25, December 2 and December 9, 2016). The films were released worldwide via Netflix on February 10, 2017, and edited into 12 episodes.
Call of Justice features an original plot involving the 00 Cyborgs going up against a mysterious organisation of superhumans with nefarious goals named the "Blessed".
Tropes that appear in this work:
- All Your Powers Combined: Emperor's powers allow him to copy the powers of other Blessed.
- Ancient Conspiracy: The Blessed, though they function less like The Illuminati and more like a loosely organized group of people with similar powers.
- Been There, Shaped History: The Blessed have apparently been manipulating human history for centuries.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Dr. Davenport's notes imply that Thomas Edison was a member of the Blessed.
- Bittersweet Ending: The blessed are defeated and the world is saved but 004, 002 and Catalina are dead, in addition 009 is trapped in the Event Horizon with the defeated Emperor.
- Brought Down to Normal: 009 and 003 both briefly lose their cybernetic enhancements after a visit with a peaceful member of the Blessed, but they eventually choose to regain them.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Steven Archimedes / The Professor, a member of the Blessed and head of Dynamic Ultra, who is using the company's resources to assist the Blessed in their goals.
- Fate Worse than Death: Emperor subjects Catalina to one by erasing all of her memories, even the ability to speak and understand language, when she still couldn't bring herself to kill 009. He is later subjected to one himself by 009, who Accelerates him and traps him in a void to be alone for eternity.
- Gainax Ending: The last scene is of the shadows of the remaining 00 Cyborgs, who are then joined by the silhouettes of 004 and 002 (who had both perished) and 009 (who had become trapped in the Event Horizon).
- Hero Antagonist: The United Nations Guardians, who are only in opposition to the 00 Cyborgs because their leader is in league with the Blessed.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- 004 hooks himself up to the Blessed's satellite set to release plague-carrying their micro-drones, so the satellite will instead go on a path towards the Sun knowing it will incinerate them both.
- A non-lethal variant. 009 accelerates the Emperor into the Event Horizon in order to stop his world-ending plan, trapping them both there.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: At the start of the series, the 00 Cyborgs had been peacefully retired for years, and didn't even know the Blessed existed, much less were anything they needed to be concerned with. If the Blessed had tried a more subtle method of thwarting the reporter's attempt to recruit the Cyborgs to stop the Blessed, like, say, not giving them any reason to care about their existence or leads to investigate instead of openly attacking them in their home and then framing them as terrorists for defending themselves, they would not have known what the Blessed were up to until it was too late for them to be stopped.
- Not-So-Well-Intentioned Extremist: Emperor wants to introduce a deadly, incurable plague to humanity in a bid to force them to evolve and gain powers, because he believes humanity will die off if they don't. It's later revealed he actually Hates Being Alone, and wants someone to validate his existence as a supposed benevolent leader and god. Once he's completely isolated, he freaks out.
- Older Than They Look:
- The 00 cyborgs possess ageless bodies and are much older than they appear.
- The Emperor seems to be a man in his 20s/30s but is stated to be over 3000.
- 009 gets a special mention as, due to his powers of acceleration causing time to move faster for him, he has effectively lived a lifespan even greater than the Emperor.
- United Nations Is a Superpower: The UN is shown to be in control of a global peace-keeping force called the "Guardians".
- Un-person: The Blessed do this to Pyotr after the 00 Cyborgs discover he's working with them.
- Villainous Breakdown: Emperor starts becoming enraged as the 00-Cyborgs persist against him, despite all being woefully underpowered compared to him. He starts becoming more unhinged when he experiences, for the first time, the constant loneliness 009 feels every time he Accelerates, thanks to Catalina telepathically linking Emperor to 009. After Emperor kills Catalina with his powers, a vengeful 009 exceeds his usual Acceleration speed so Emperor can't even read his movements, and traps Emperor in a white void where he will be alone forever. It's where Emperor's cool facade finally breaks completely and he's reduced to a ranting, screaming madman.