Black Lion is a manga series by Go Nagai that ran from 1976 to 1978, that also recieved an anime adaptation in 1992.
The OVA tells the story of Oda Nobunaga, a 16th-century warlord intent on conquering all of Japan. With the help of time-traveling aliens from the future, he is able to further his goals with Jinnai, an invincible cybernetic samurai who hates ninjas. With these unconventional allies, the victory of the warlord and his mechanized army seems all but assured.
Enter our young hero, Ninja Shishimaru, the sole survivor of a battle where his girlfriend and comrades are killed by Jinnai. The story follows his quest for revenge, as he faces hordes of mechanized enemies, evil samurai and aliens, with the help of a formerly hostile sect of fellow ninjas.
- Cyborg: Jinnai.
- Gorn: And lots of it.
- Losing Your Head: One of Ginnai Donna's attacks have him detaching his head, which then flies all over the place while firing laser beams all over the place. It needs to be seen to be believed.
- Ninja: Shishmaru and the allied ninjas.
- No One Could Survive That!: Played practically to the point of parody, with the number of times the ninjas fail to kill Jinnai.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Jinnai and his family were killed by ninjas; when he was brought back and made immortal, he wants to kill all ninjas.
- Robotic Reveal: Combined with Finger-Twitching Revival.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Ninjas vs An Immortal Cyborg, rule of cool doesn't even begin to describe this anime.
- Sequel Hook: The anime ends on a pretty blatant one.
- Stuff Blowing Up: At a certain point, the ninjas' strategy against Jinnai becomes "double the explosives we used last time, repeat as necessary".
- Taking You with Me: Jinnai at the end, to Shishmaru. Doesn't work.
- Time Travel
- What Happened to the Mouse?: In the anime, things are left unresolved at the end. There was probably supposed to be a sequel, but there never was one.
- Things are actually resolved in the manga, but the anime only adapted less than half of the manga.