Android Announcer Maico 2010 (also known as Android Ana Maico 2010) is an anime series based on the manga series Maico 2010. The main character Maico (short for "Multi-Artificial Intelligence Computer Organism") is a pink-haired android girl brought in to revive a flagging radio program (although why they use an android in the form of a pretty young woman when she'll never be seen by the audience is never explained).
Other main characters include:
- Densuke, the male assistant director of the program, regularly abused by Matsuan.
- Izumi, the other assistant director, who seems to do nothing except offer the occasional biting comment.
- Katchin, the public relations manager, despised by everyone.
- Matsuan, the director of the program. He copes with crises (and he faces many of them) by hitting Densuke and dreaming of retirement, growing tomatoes.
- Ryoko, Matsuan's boss, who has put together the idea of Maico being on a radio program.
- Suga, the scriptwriter.
- Ume, the sound effects man.
- Catchphrase: Maico's "I am not a robot, I'm an android" (in Japanese, "Robotto ja nakute, andoroido desu").
- Fun with Acronyms: Maico's name stands for Multi-Artificial Intelligence Computer.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Maico, who is naked in the premiere when taken out of her box and before her operating system is installed. Even afterward, she seems to have no inhibitions about nudity.
- Insistent Terminology: "I am not a robot, I'm an android."
- Prematurely Bald: Matsuan isn't bald yet, but the stress of his job makes him lose a lot of hair.
- Sex Bot: Maico was originally created to be a "sexdroid", designed specifically for sexual intercourse. However, her creator wanted her to be as human as possible instead of merely being a sex toy, and Maico herself is rather innocent and has never actually had sex before.
- Silent Bob: Ume, the sound-effects man, never speaks; he communicates by using his sound-effects machine.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: Made in 1998, and apparently set in 2010.