The Super Robot anime Lightspeed Electrogod Albegas (光速電神アルベガス Kousoku Denjin Arubegasu) debuted in 1983 amongst a sea of many robot anime. Had things gone differently for World Events Productions, it would have been formally incorporated into the Voltron mythos.
Three high school kids named Daisaku Enjouji, Tetsuya Jin and Hotaru Mizuki, construct three giant robots named Alpha Robot, Beta Robot and Gamma Robot as part of a school science fair. At the same time, the evil Derringer Empire decides to expand its domain to Earth- which has lived in peace for so long that they barely have any means to repel the invasion. Hence, when the villains begin their attack, Hotarus dad, Professor Mizuki, modifies the robots into combat machines that can merge into the Super Robot Albegas to defend the planet.
- Combining Mecha: In six different ways!
- Expy: Conceptually, the show is a very obvious copy of Getter Robo, straight down to "the three vehicles combine differently to produce different robots". This is a large part of the reason the show is forgotten in Japan, as it was generally seen as an inferior copy of Getter.
- Humongous Mecha
- Improbable Age: Three kids, still in High School, building three giant robots. Nuff said.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: Inverted with Hotaru, since she's the daughter of The Professor rather than the Mad Scientist.
- Multi Form Balance
- Street Urchin: It's strongly implied that Tetsuya once was this.
- Two Guys and a Girl: The two guys are Daisaku and Tetsuya, the girl is Hotaru.