Thru the Moebius Strip is a 3D animated film made in Shenzhen, China and produced in Hong Kong. The story involves an inventor named Simon Weir, who invents a device that enables him to teleport to anywhere in the universe. Upon travelling to a distant planet, he is captured by a race of giant aliens. Seven years later, his son, Jac, refuses to believe that Simon has died. He locates the teleportation device and embarks on a journey to rescue his father. Along the way, he is caught in the middle of a civil war.
The film was first shown to the public at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival, where it was praised for its animation.
Thru the Moebius Strip contains examples of:
- Sibling Murder: Tor became the king by doing this.
- The Coroner Doth Protest Too Much: The old king's death is claimed to be as a result of him being gored by a wild espar, while in reality it was due to Tor stabbing him. Ragis realizes that this is a coverup when it is pointed out that the body only had one puncture wound, while an attack by the beast would have left two.
- The Chosen One: Prince Ragis is prophesized to be this.
- Technobabble: The explanation of how the portal works
- Hellgate: The teleporter on Raphicca is this on two separate occasions
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Tor shatters one of the crystals powering the portal, causing it to malfunction and send him to a desert planet inhabited by creatures much larger than him.
- No Biochemical Barriers: The atmosphere of Raphicca is suitable for humans, and Simon lived there for seven years, so he had to have been given food and water during this time.
- Weaponized Teleportation: Tor first attempts to use the portal to conquer other planets, and then tries to use it to allow a more powerful army to invade and destroy Raphicca after he is defeated.
- Teleportation Misfire: Tor accidentally shattering one of the power crystals causes this.
- 1-Dimensional Thinking: When an object falls through the portal at the beginning, Arthur tries to run away from it in a straight line and gets crushed.
- Power Crystal: High Priestess Shepway and her apprentice Allana use crystals to fuel this magic and to power the portal on the Raphiccan side.
- Robotic Reveal: The one who runs the Dr. Droids shop reveals himself as a very human-looking robot upon meeting the Weirs
- Elaborate Underground Base: Where Simon Weir conducted his experiments with the teleporter
- Big Bad: Tor
- Bookends: The film starts with Simon being captured by a giant alien, and ends with Tor being captured by an alien even larger than him.
- I Will Find You: Jac spent seven years trying to find out what happened to his father, and eventually heads for the planet Raphicca to do so.
- Aliens Speaking English: The Raphiccans have no trouble communicating with the humans.
- Slow Clap: After Tor reveals that he has rebuilt the Raphiccan army, his advisor rises and starts clapping, followed by the rest of the audience.
- Robot Buddy: Arthur to Simon
- Chase Scene: When Caroline and Jac are fleeing from the police cruisers while en route to Dr. Droids.
- Monster: Tor killed his brother to assume the throne, tortures Simon to coerce Allana into using the crystals to active the portal, uses artillery to indescriminately kill his own troops and the rebels alike, then tries to use the portal to allow Raphicca to be conquered by a more powerful alien army after being defeated in battle.
- Foodfight: Jac starts one during Tor's speech.