Akis is a Malaysian animated series revolving around a hyperactive girl named Akis. It was produced by Inspidea (who would later go on to animate Cartoon Network India's Lamput) and aired on the Asian feed of Nickelodeon; it is the first Nickelodeon cartoon to be produced exclusively in Asia.
The show premiered in 2012 and aired 12 episodes, each about two minutes long. In 2019, all the episodes were uploaded to Nickelodeon Asia's official Facebook page.
Akis contains the following tropes:
- Air-Vent Passageway: In "Freedom in Museum", Akis shows the students what freedom in a museum feels like by having them escape through an air vent within in the building.
- Alliterative Title: The first episode, "Cooking Class".
- Artsy Beret: Akis wears one in "The Artist" when she tries to give her mother a makeover.
- Big "WHY?!": In "Why Oh Why", Akis and her family watch a television program showing a woman screaming "WHY?!" towards the sky after her loved one has died. Akis' father bets she can't act as well as the woman in the program, triggering the plot of the episode when Akis actually takes him up on the challenge.
- Couch Gag: The notebook pages in the end credits have different crayon drawings in them depending on and pertaining to the specific plot of the episode.
- Definite Article Title: The episode "The Artist".
- Extremely Short Intro Sequence: The intro is 15 seconds long.
- Flying Saucer: One appears in the title card of the episode "The Unscheduled Drill".
- Genki Girl: Akis can barely stay still even for a second and is constantly pestering her family and friends.
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: In "The Guhr-Guhr Monster", Akis meets a boy who won't eat his vegetables because he thinks they're disgusting and invents the "guhr-guhr monster", which is weak against vegetables, to convince him otherwise. It works.
- Instrumental Theme Tune: The song in the intro has no vocals.
- Ocular Gushers: Whenever characters cry, their tears gush out like raindrops or waterfalls.
- One-Word Title: Akis is the "first name of the protagonist" type.
- Onion Tears: In "Why Oh Why", Akis' attempt to mimic a woman's acting from a TV program involves her smashing an onion on her face to make her tear up. The onion stings her eyes so much that she can't stop crying.
- Protagonist Title: One-Word Title first name type.
- Pun-Based Title: The episode "Off the Cough" is about Akis pretending to be a doctor. The episode's title is a pun on the phrase "off the cuff".
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Akis does this in "Family Drama" to persuade her mother to play with her and succeeds.
- Shockingly Expensive Bill: At the end of "The Artist", Akis' family is shocked to see they have a bill of $1,000 for all the carnage Akis caused trying to give a decent makeover to her mother.
- Short-Runners: Ran for one season of 12 episodes.
- Skyward Scream: In "Why Oh Why", the woman in a TV show Akis' family is watching screams a Big "WHY?!" up to the sky.
- Slice of Life: The show is about the daily life of Akis.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: In "Spider Boo-Boo", a boy in the bus asks his friend where his toy spider is. The friend can't hear him, and the boy shouts "SPIDER!" and creates a mass panic when everyone thinks there's an actual spider in the bus.
- [Verb] This!: In the episode "The Artist", Akis' mother shouts "Paint this!" at her daughter when she nearly lunges at her as she is about to give her mom a coat of paint.
- Wingding Eyes: In "Talent Show", the girl performing in the talent show has X's for eyes when she faints from Akis shocking her.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: The episode "The Worm Hunter" revolves around Akis' mom's fear of worms. The end of the episode also reveals Akis' dad is afraid of millipedes.