Dragon Ball is today's modern folklore.
The Super Saiyan color theoryColors are extremely emotive, filled with symbolism and meaning. With the many Super Saiyan transformations introduced in Super, one can start to notice some symbolism in what the different Super Saiyan forms represent, and it all correlates with chakra.
- Black Hair:
- The Super Saiyan God: Based on the first Chakra, the root or Muladhara. The form was not only the start of Goku's journey through godhood, it was also the start of Super as a whole. The muladhara is considered the start of great power, but just that, the beginning to divinity.
- The Super Saiyan: Based on the second Chakra, the Solar Plexus, or Manipura. The second chakra is associated with the digestive system, muscles, pancreas, and adrenals. According to Zentama.com, "feelings of personal power, laughter and joy are associated with this center. Your sensitivity, ambition and ability to achieve are stored here. The blockage may manifest as anger, frustration, frustration, lack of direction or a sense of victimization." The Super Saiyan transformation is known to be a cataclysm of emotion, born out of extreme rage.
- The Green Super Saiyan: Based on the fourth Chakra, the heart, or Anahata. In the world of chakra, the color green is associated with a state of distorted thinking, or unhealed emotional trauma. It is also associated with The Power of Love or how to accept yourself.
- Broly, the legendary Super Saiyan, was known to hate Kakarot for him crying a lot as a baby, and was a complete utter psychopath who destroyed everything for fun. He had to be mind controlled to calm himself due to his immense power. His excuse is implied to be the really traumatic events that happened during the time he was born, which dealt with the destruction of Planet Vegeta by Frieza, and the voice of Baby Goku in his subconscious.
- Kale, the Saiyan from Universe 6, has a severe problem with herself. She constantly has self-doubts despite having great potential, and is very dependent of her Sis, Caulifla. Despite Caulifla telling her she trusts in her, this falls a bit on deaf ears. Once she starts to think someone may take Caulifla away from her, her latent power comes out of jealousy, turning her into a monster blinded by rage. At the same time, she learns how to control her form by wishing to protect her loved one, and starts to gain a better appreciation for herself by doing so.
- Super Saiyan Blue: Based on the fifth Chakra, the throat, or Vishuddha. Super Saiyan Blue is the evolution of the Super Saiyan God, which is about perfect energy control. Quoting Zentama.com, " is concerned with the senses of inner and outer hearing, the synthesising of ideas, healing, transformation, and purification. Blockage can show up as creative blocks, dishonesty, or general problems in communicating one needs to others."
- Goku, once he managed to gain control of the transformation, was able to combine the Super Saiyan Blue transformation with the Kaio-Ken, a power-up that invokes extreme pressure into the body. He could never combine the normal Super Saiyan with the Kaio-ken due to fact that combining both could be lethal, as rage with more rage is not exactly a good combination.
- Super Saiyan Rosé: Based on the seventh Chakra, the crown, or Sahaswara. The seventh Chakra can be either rose or pure white. Quoting Zentama.com, "It is concerned with information, understanding, acceptance and bliss. It is said to be your own place connection to God, the Chakra divine purpose and personal destiny. Blockage can manifest as psychological problems."
Goku Black: Well, what do you think of this color, is it not beautiful? If I have to give it a name that suits your sensibilities, it would be Rosé. Yes, perfect! Super Saiyan Rosé! Hehe, I have finally made Goku's power entirely my own. You should feel honored Goku, for now, you shall achieve the zenith of beauty! My will, my beauty, indeed! My very being towers above all things, the whole universe!
- Goku Black is the only user of this form. Goku Black's Rosé form is his own variation of the Blue form, with the natural divine ki of the user making it pink instead of blue. It also describes Black perfectly, as he has some kind of mental problems that can't allow him to empathize with anyone, and once he achieved the transformation, he started to declare himself as "beautiful", and how his entire being was above all things, even declaring himself the Supreme God.
- To a lesser extent, the color rose, combined with black, make Black Rose, which are roses of an unnatural color, and quoting Rose of love, they represent "death of old habits and the old order. It inspires confidence and enthusiasm by signaling the birth of a new era of hope and joy." It is also associated with anarchism. All of them fit Goku Black like a glove, as he brings death to mortals and corrupted a god in his eyes for the sake of his narcissistic utopia.
- Fused Zamasu, as the fusion between Black and Zamasu, also shares this. In Chakra circles, the color white can mean a higher level of spirituality, purity, coldness, and a sense of detachment. According to Chakra Anatomy, Crown Crakra colors, " the biggest challenge of violet/white Chakra on a mental is overindulging in earthly pursuits and getting stuck in their way of thinking. Unwilling to open up to other ideas, thoughts of knowledge. When it is blocked, it manifests as psychosis, dissociation from the body, being disconnected and ungrounded.'' Fused Zamasu, as the combination of two big egos, became even more insane than his counterparts, to the point his body and mind started to deteriorate and turn into a half-corrupted violet form, and once defeated, leave his body to become one with the universe itself.
The work of the gods
- "Humans use their god-given wisdom for evil and spoil our beautiful world. The humans who have gained wisdom are truly evil. Does this not strike you as half-hearted? What good are gods if they do not destroy evil?".—Zamasu
In the original Dragon Ball, the gods were presented as rather important figures in the lore of the series, but not that important to the overall narrative with the exception of Kami due to his connection with the Dragon Balls.
Kami, King Kai, and the Supreme Kais were presented just as mentor figures and benevolent deities, but their role was never discussed, and the heroes were always presented as stronger than them. The idea they could ever be bad or morally questionable was never brought up due to the series' antagonists being either mortals and their creations or demonic entities.
At the end of the original Dragon Ball, Kami even offered the role of guardian of the planet to Goku, which he refused. The story repeats itself with Beerus.
As a subversion to the established tropes in the franchise, Beerus is presented as a morally questionable deity just doing his job as the Destroyer Deity responsible for the cosmic balance and stronger than all of the gods in the setting. He is the first antagonist to truly defeat Goku, with the latter at best just earning his respect. Beerus' introduction in the series marks the beginning of the overall motivation for Goku and Vegeta: to surpass him. Then you learn Beerus is not even the strongest guy around, his mentor Whis is, and there is an entire multiverse beyond them, subverting more established tropes in the franchise.
Like Kami, Beerus and Whis offered the job of God of Destruction to Goku and Vegeta, but they too refused.
From here on, every following plot thread has something involving the gods, with Goku and Vegeta starting training with Whis. At this point, it's established that despite having the power, the destroyers' assistants can't fully intervene and only train the gods. While Whis does help the heroes giving them a second chance at defeating Frieza, he warns them to not depend on the gods too much.
Then we get introduced to more Gods of Destructions and the boss of them all: The King of All.
Unlike the original series, the gods' role is actually discussed in the series, and despite the overall lighthearted tone, the series doesn't hide away the fact the gods look down on mortals. When Champa and Beerus host a tournament, they just do it for the sake of resolving a petty deal and see who gets to win Earth's delicious food, treating their fighters as nothing "but pawns in a game". The moment Champa loses, he was pretty close to killing the members of his team for making him look like a fool, and there was nothing the heroes could do about it due to Champa being a deity. Team Universe 6 was lucky that Zeno appeared and Champa stops his plans, especially as Zeno wanted them for another tournament.
Despite Goku and Hit trying to prove they are not mere pawns to Champa and Beerus, they still end up as pawns because they were needed for the Tournament of Power.