This is a list of wick cleanings mandated by forum threads, such as the Rename/Transplant Wick Cleaning thread, the Wick Migration thread, or Trope Repair Shop threads. Please add new work piles to the bottom of the list, so that older efforts have better visibility.
If you're waiting for a TRS slot, finishing off one labeled Active TRS Thread is a great way to open up a spot.
Dates are written in MM/DD/YYYY format.
Brother Chuck to Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: 219 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Some wicks might better fit Put on a Bus, Written-In Absence, Ret-Gone, Actor Leaves, Character Dies or What Happened to the Mouse? instead.
Ambiguous Disorder to Diagnosed by the Audience: 2334 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Turned from a trope into an Audience Reaction; wicks should either be moved to the work's YMMV page under the new name, or removed entirely if not applicable.
Distressed Damsel to Damsel in Distress: 1940 wicks as of 1/10/2023
Casual Danger Dialog to Casual Danger Dialogue: 678 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Super OCD to Obsessively Organized: 1198 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- The trope is about characters obsessed with rule and order, but is frequently misused to refer to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Move any valid wicks to the new name, while references to actual OCD (but not usage as a trope) can link to the Useful Notes page for it.
Asskicking Equals Authority to Asskicking Leads to Leadership: 2429 wicks as of 2/1/2023 Active TRS Thread
Authority Equals Asskicking to Authority Grants Asskicking: 5292 wicks as of 2/1/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Both renamed because "equals" made it unclear which way the causality goes for each trope.
Death by Sex to Sex Signals Death: 1106 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Now a disambiguation page between Sex Signals Death (the renamed version of this trope) and Out with a Bang (a pre-existing trope that better covers some of the misuse that led to the renaming).
Overprotective Dad to Boyfriend-Blocking Dad: 3176 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Because of abundant misuse, it is recommended you see if the example better fits one of the tropes listed in the disambiguation page.
Coitus Ensues to Sex Starts, Story Stops: 774 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Renamed due to misuse; the trope is specifically for instances of sex scenes interrupting the narrative.
100% Adoration Rating to Universally Beloved Leader: 1201 wicks (including 142 at 100% Adoration Rating) as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
Buxom Is Better to Buxom Beauty Standard: 947 wicks as of 01/31/2023 Active TRS Thread
- In-Universe Examples Only; renamed due to misuse by editors expressing their personal opinions.
We All Live in America to Creator's Culture Carryover: 461 wicks of 01/23/2023 Active TRS Thread
Dan Browned to Falsely Advertised Accuracy: 233 wicks as of 01/23/2023 Active TRS Thread
Precision F-Strike to Breaking Point Swearing: 12872 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
"Funny Aneurysm" Moment to Harsher in Hindsight: 1049 wicks as of 02/02/2023
Spiritual Adaptation to Spiritual Successor: 1288 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Most examples can probably be moved as-is, since the merge was done due to to concerns with redundancy, but since Spiritual Successor is YMMV, examples need to stay on YMMV pages (except in the case of In-Universe reactions to a Show Within a Show).
Hilarity Ensues to Played for Laughs: 10531 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Christmas Cake to Old Maid: 1136 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Since Christmas Cake was determined to be The Same, but More Specific to Old Maid, move examples to Old Maid if applicable.
Talking to Themself to Acting for Two: 3255 wicks (including 2336 wicks for TalkingToHimself and [[https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/relatedsearch.php?term=Main/TalkingToHerself 79 wicks for Talkingto Herself) as of 01/30/2023. Wicks that refer to a character having a conversation with themself should stay. Active TRS Thread
Slapstick Knows no Gender to Slapstick: 1170 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
Toy Ship to Puppy Love: 725 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Only wicks that directly refer to the fanspeak term should stay. Any In-Universe examples go to Puppy Love, cut examples referring to out-of-universe ships.
Closer to Earth to its subtropes: 892 wicks (with 167 additional as Voice of Reason) as of 1/26/2023
Badass in Charge to its subtropes: 772 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Hidden Badass to its subtropes: 376 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Might Makes Right to its subtropes: 1963 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Mysterious Woman to its subtropes: 191 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Antagonist Abilities to its subtropes: 258 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Parental Issues to its subtropes: 1559 wicks (with 408 additional as Mommy Issues and 610 additional as Daddy Issues) as of 1/26/2023
Gender Reveal to its subtropes: 325 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Power Trio to its subtropes: 2752 wicks as of 1/26/2023
Evil Makeover to its subtropes: 491 wicks as of 1/29/2023
Shapeshifting to its subtropes: 2591 wicks (with 800 additional as Shapeshifter) as of 1/29/2023
Body Snatcher to its subtropes: 680 wicks as of 1/29/2023
Double Standard to its subtropes: 3341 wicks as of 1/29/2023
Mind Control to its subtropes: 4930 wicks (with 951 additional as Mind Manipulation) as of 1/29/2023
Bonus Boss to Optional Boss or Superboss: 4498 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- If the optional boss is harder than the game's mandatory bosses, including the Final Boss, move it to Superboss. Otherwise, move it to Optional Boss, or a different Optional Boss subtrope if applicable.
Earthbound to EarthBound (1994) or Earthbound (1983): 1507 wicks as of 01/30/2023
- If the example pertains to the 1994 game's series as a whole, you may be better off linking it to Mother.
Bishōnen to Pretty Boy: 6143 wicks (with 1343 wicks at Bishounen) as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Examples involving comments that a character is a Pretty Boy should be moved to Pretty Boy. Wicks for Bishōnen are only allowed if they're references to the Anime Fanspeak term. In addition, since Pretty Boy is In-Universe Examples Only, an example must involve another character commenting on the character's appearance; Audience Reactions are not allowed and must be removed.
Uncanny Valley to Unintentional Uncanny Valley: 2459 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Move out-of-universe examples to Unintentional Uncanny Valley and keep in-universe examples and Intended Audience Reactions under Uncanny Valley. Sandbox here: Uncanny Valley Wick Cleanup.
Spiritual Successor to Creator-Driven Successor: 10467 wicks as of 01/29/2023
- If a a work that's similar to an older work is known to share a creator with the older work, move it to the Trivia subpage under Creator-Driven Successor. If the two works do not share a creator, and are thought to be similar by fans, it should stay listed under Spiritual Successor; since Spiritual Successor was made YMMV, any examples that stay under Spiritual Successor need to be moved to YMMV pages if they aren't there already (except in the case of In-Universe reactions to a Show Within a Show).
Artistic License Law to one of its subtropes: 1189 wicks (with an additional 49 wicks at Artistic Licence Law) as of 01/29/2023
Incredibly Lame Pun to Pun or Lame Pun Reaction: 8649 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Be sure to prioritize the associated subtropes listed in Pun, if possible.
Plot-Induced Stupidity to Forgot About His Powers, Idiot Ball, or Gameplay-Guided Amnesia: 145 wicks as of 01/29/2023
Tier-Induced Scrappy to High-Tier Scrappy or Low-Tier Letdown: 891 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Characters disliked for being too powerful belong under High-Tier Scrappy and characters disliked for being two weak belong under Low-Tier Letdown. If an example doesn't fit either, remove it.
WesternAnimation.Muppet Babies to WesternAnimation.Muppet Babies 1984 or WesternAnimation.Muppet Babies 2018: 212 wicks as of 01/26/2023
WesternAnimation.The Lion King to WesternAnimation.The Lion King 1994, Franchise.The Lion King, or WesternAnimation.The Lion King 2019: 337 wicks as of 01/26/2023
Memetic Badass to Shrouded in Myth, Living Legend, Famed in Story, or The Dreaded: 4625 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- In-Universe examples are to be moved to objective tropes (with the possible exception of reactions to a Show Within a Show). Progress is being tracked using the Memetic Badass Wick Cleaning sandbox.
Evil Genius to several other tropes: 4407 wicks (with 536 additional as The Evil Genius) as of 01/29/2023
- Move any examples that fit any subtropes now that Evil Genius is a supertrope. Progress is being tracked using the Evil Genius Wick Cleaning sandbox.
WesternAnimation.The Little Mermaid to WesternAnimation.The Little Mermaid 1989, WesternAnimation.The Little Mermaid 1992 or Franchise.The Little Mermaid: 444 wicks as of 01/27/2023
Film.Guardians Of The Galaxy to Film.Guardians Of The Galaxy 2014 or Franchise.Guardians Of The Galaxy: 1010 wicks as of 01/26/2023
- Anything that refers to the film series as a whole should be moved to the Franchise page.
WesternAnimation.Despicable Me to WesternAnimation.Despicable Me 1 or Franchise.Despicable Me: 802 wicks as of 01/27/2023
The Cameo to Crossover Cameo, Continuity Cameo, and Celebrity Cameo: 13954 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Only those that do not fit any of the subtropes can be left as supertrope wicks.
Green Lantern Ring to several other tropes: 342 wicks as of 02/01/2023
Origin Story to several other tropes: 784 wicks as of 01/09/2023
Comic Relief to several other tropes: 385 wicks as of 01/09/2023
No Pronunciation Guide to several other tropes: 977 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
The Chick to several other tropes: 2675 wicks as of 02/01/2023 Active TRS Thread
Surprise Creepy to Disguised Horror Story or Surprisingly Creepy Moment: 1226 wicks as of 02/01/2023 Active TRS Thread
Everything's Better with Penguins to several other tropes: 489 wicks as of 02/01/2023 Active TRS Thread
Relationship Voice Actor to several other tropes: 1444 wicks as of 02/01/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Instances of Casting Gag should be moved to the main work page.
Meddling Parents to several other tropes: 323 wicks as of 02/02/2023
- Now a redirect to the disambiguation page Overprotective Dad.
Main.What An Idiot: 1404 wicks as of 1/31/2023
- Moved to DarthWiki.What An Idiot. Since this was moved to Darth Wiki and made Flame Bait, wicks are only allowed on pages that are on Darth Wiki and/or Flame Bait. On YMMV pages, please check to see if the example, if valid, is already on the Darth Wiki page. If not, please move it there and format it properly if necessary. For invoked and in-universe examples on work pages, see if they fit Idiot Ball, Nice Job Breaking It, Hero, Nice Job Fixing It, Villain, Too Dumb to Live, or any trope listed in Index Failure. Otherwise, delete it. Any other pothole should have its link deleted without replacement.
Unfortunate Implications: 3025 wicks as of 1/26/2023
- Is now Flame Bait, therefore wicks are only allowed on either other Flame Bait pages or descriptions of other tropes to make a comparison to it. On YMMV pages, please first check if another Audience Reaction is more appropriate and move it there if possible. If not, see if the example, if valid and properly cited, is already on the Unfortunate Implications page. If not, please move it there. Invoked and in-universe examples are also allowed on work pages, given if another trope isnt more fitting. Check either the Mistaken for Index or Stereotype index for tropes that might potentially fit the example better. For everything else, delete it. Wick Cleaning for this page is tracked here.
Getting Crap Past The: 3134 wicks as of 01/30/2023
- These are malformed wicks left over from Getting Crap Past the Radar cleanup, so all must be removed, including the notes and markup.
Off-Model: 3856 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
Shared Universe cleanup: 1865 wicks as of 1/29/2023
- This trope is defined as "A fictional universe constructed by multiple writers/creative teams working independently from each other." It is frequently misused as shorthand for any Crossover.
Aristocrats Are Evil cleanup: 3360 wicks as of 1/29/2023
- "Aristocrat" must be shorthand for "evil" to qualify. Zero Context Examples should be moved to the discussion page, and "aversions" should be removed on sight.
Me's a Crowd cleanup: 2471 wicks as of 1/29/2023
- Me's a Crowd is a plot where the main character duplicates themselves. Examples of self-duplication in general should be moved to Self-Duplication.
Implacable Man and The Juggernaut: 4606 (with 104 additional as Implacable Woman) and 3143 wicks (with 31 additional as Juggernaut) as of 11/29/2022
- Frequently misused for each other. The Implacable Man is slowed by obstacles but finds a way to deal with them. The Juggernaut goes right through them as though they never existed in the first place.
Those Two Guys: 7328 wicks (with 586 additional as Those Two Girls) as of 11/29/2022
- Trope is defined as a comedic duo serving as a Greek Chorus. Change misuse to one of the Duo Tropes (if it's not already on the page).
Nerd Glasses: 2107 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Examples involving a "nerd" wearing thick, coke-bottle glasses go to Opaque Nerd Glasses. Any other type of glasses can stay.
Suddenly Voiced: 1739 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Defined as being for a character being voice acted for the first time or voice acting suddenly appearing for a character who can already talk. Any wicks pertaining to The Voiceless or the like finally talking should be moved to Suddenly Speaking.
Action Girl cleanup: 21533 wicks (with 4 additional as Hot Chick with a Sword) as of 11/29/2022
- Defined specifically as a female character who's strong and action-oriented, but frequently misused as anytime a girl acts badass. See if the misuse fits one of the subtropes, and if not, cut it.
Unfortunate Names: 1571 wicks (with 267 additional as Unfortunate Name) as of 11/29/2022
- Only applicable when it's pointed out in-universe how embarrassing/poor someone's name is. Entries merely stating someone's name or pointing out the innuendo in someone's name need to be removed.
Always Identical Twins: 1209 wicks (with 11 additional as Fraternal Twins and 53 additional as Identical Twins) as of 11/29/2022
- Redefined as a Trope in Aggregate, so only examples that aren't played straight or have more than one set of identical twins are valid. If it's just in reference to one set of twins (identical or fraternal), cut it.
Blue Is Heroic: 1478 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- The trope was redefined as a Trope in Aggregate, with blue having to be a consistent, key part of the heroic character's design. All other examples must be removed. See Sandbox.Blue Is Heroic for cleaned namespaces.
People's Republic of Tyranny: 788 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Only applicable to dictatorships that adopt democratic-sounding names to masquerade as democracies. Examples that are about dictatorships without a democratic-sounding name should be moved to The Dictatorship.
Hate Sink: 8102 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- This trope is defined as "Someone (often a villain) who's intended to be hated by the audience." Remove any examples that are already covered by their subtropes, and check examples for any misuse.
Five-Man Band: 3333 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Only applicable to teams of five characters. Examples should describe the team's dynamic, and should remain as single-bullet examples without supertrope-subtrope sorting. "Roles" like The Leader and The Lancer should be moved if used properly, and cut if they're misused/shoehorned in.
Actually Pretty Funny: 5265 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Only applies if a character finds a joke funny despite previously either being reluctant to admit it and/or denying it was funny, or if the joke they find funny is one that was insulting them. Since the trope is In-Universe Examples Only, only examples from in-universe characters are allowed.
It Was His Sled: 2720 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- The work containing the spoiler in question must be at least five years old, so remove examples from works that were released more recently than that. In addition, examples must cover the Audience Reaction aspect (e.g., Everyone/the community knows this because...) instead of just listing the spoiler in question. Keep track of cleaned wicks in They Were His Wicks.
Knight of Cerebus: 5948 wicks as of 11/06/2022
- Only applies to villains whose introduction causes a lasting Tone Shift that makes an initially lighthearted work significantly darker. If the Tone Shift is short-lived or only occurs in scenes featuring the villain, remove the example.
Unintentional Period Piece: 2569 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Examples are only valid if a work is full of things that make the work firmly dated to its era, such as fashion, topical references, societal attitudes, etc.; valid examples on Trivia/ subpages need to be moved to the corresponding YMMV/ subpages due to Unintentional Period Piece being reclassified as an Audience Reaction instead of Trivia. Examples that take place in Present Day without being particularly dated should be moved to the work's main page under Present Day. Examples that revolve entirely about the technology present in the work being dated should be moved within Trivia as an example of Technology Marches On. Works that take place in either an Alternate History or a completely fictional world do not count for either Unintentional Period Piece or Present Day and should be removed. In addition, since this is YMMV, examples are only allowed on YMMV pages, per What Goes Where on the Wiki.
Role-Ending Misdemeanor: 1049 wicks, not including redirects (with 12 additional at Role-Ending Misdemeanour) as of 01/27/2023
- While an example can cover either on-set or off-set behavior from a creator, they must have actually lost a role. In addition, at least two weeks must have passed before an example can be valid, so remove any examples that are more recent than that.
Humiliation Conga: 4852 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Only applicable to villains, Jerkasses, and other antagonists for whom humiliating events in quick succession would be cathartic. If the character does not fit into any of those categories, remove the example.
Doing It for the Art: 2181 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Only applies when creators or performers openly state or explicitly made decisions that value art over profit. Some factual entries might fall under Awesome, Dear Boy, Method Acting, Written for My Kids, Wag the Director or Dyeing for Your Art instead. If the entry is just gushing about behind-the-scenes efforts that the writer thinks are impressive, move it to either Development Heaven or Visual Effects of Awesome instead. Otherwise, delete it. Keep track of cleaned namespaces in Wick Cleaning For The Art.
Understatement: 4147 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Has a long history of attracting potholes even after two previous cleanup efforts, and is now In-Universe Examples Only. Any wick which isn't an in-universe example should be removed.
Ship Sinking: 2025 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Only applies to scenes in-universe that are specific to the characters it is sinking, and the work gives some acknowledgement to the possibility of the two being a couple. If the example does not have both criteria, or is a YMMV audience reaction, remove it.
Never Live It Down: 3822 wicks as of 01/27/2023
- A TRS thread decided that Real Life examples are no longer allowed. Therefore, all examples and potholes referring to the actions of real people should be removed. Some examples regarding anything that is not the actions of a fictional character might better fit or merge with examples of Overshadowed by Controversy instead. For music examples and examples related to individuals in mediums such as Stand-Up Comedy and Web Video, it's okay to say a musician or creator won't live it down if and only if it's something explicitly found within the content of their work. It has also been decided that the item will have a six-month waiting period, so remove any examples from moments more recent than that. Also, any examples or potholes made in the context of a character not living it down In-Universe should be moved to Once Done, Never Forgotten.
They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: 5606 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- After a TRS thread was inconclusive on how to deal with the item, it was decided that a cleanup thread would be made to help rid it of prevalent misuse. While more specifics can be found in the thread, the general rule of thumb involving examples is that they should focus solely on screentime and exposure, not execution, and they shouldnt pitch or speculate on any hypothetical plot threads that do not exist in the work.
Ambiguously Brown: 3875 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Remove Real Life examples, characters that have a defined but fictional race, and examples that are just "actor has brown skin."
MayDecember Romance: 2762 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- This trope is specifically for when the age gap between a couple is large, usually due to an elderly person being in a relationship with a younger person. Examples involving smaller age gaps belong under Age-Gap Romance.
Dead Artists Are Better: 382 wicks as of 11/09/2022
- If an example is in-universe, leave it under Dead Artists Are Better. If it involves real life opinions about real life creators, move it to Posthumous Popularity Potential, which is YMMV.
Solo-Character Run: 106 wicks as of 11/06/2022
- Since this is a YMMV subtrope of Self-Imposed Challenge, which itself is YMMV, examples are only allowed on YMMV pages (including both works' YMMV subpages and the pages for other YMMV items). However, if a limited amount of playable characters is imposed by a game mode instead of being a Self-Imposed Challenge (such as if a level only allows the player to use one character at a time), leave it on the work page and add an [[invoked]] tag to it.
Low-Level Run: 151 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Since this is a YMMV subtrope of Self-Imposed Challenge, which itself is YMMV, examples are only allowed on YMMV pages (including both works' YMMV subpages and the pages for other YMMV items). However, if a lower level cap is imposed by a game mode instead of being a Self-Imposed Challenge (such as if a harder game mode prevents players from leveling up), leave it on the work page and add an [[invoked]] tag to it.
Minimalist Run: 132 wicks as of 11/29/2022
- Since this is a YMMV subtrope of Self-Imposed Challenge, which itself is YMMV, examples are only allowed on YMMV pages (including both works' YMMV subpages and the pages for other YMMV items). However, if a game mode limits the player's resources (such as reducing inventory space) rather than it being a Self-Imposed Challenge, leave it on the work page and add an [[invoked]] tag to it.
No Casualties Run: 79 wicks as of 11/06/2022
- Since this is a YMMV subtrope of Self-Imposed Challenge, which itself is YMMV, examples are only allowed on YMMV pages (including both works' YMMV subpages and the pages for other YMMV items). However, if a game mode limits the amount of casualties rather than it being a Self-Imposed Challenge, leave it on the work page and add an [[invoked]] tag to it.
Old Shame: 5401 wicks as of 01/27/2023
- Has changed from a trivia item to a trope that is In-Universe Examples Only, expanded to be about anything in the past a character is ashamed of. Most examples will likely be moved to Creator Backlash if referring to a creator disliking their own work. If the creator has taken the extra steps to remove the work from circulation because of their backlash (i.e. close to the intended original definition of Old Shame), then it belongs in Bury Your Art. Other examples will better fit Banned Episode, Missing Episode, Costume Backlash, Disowned Adaptation or Distanced from Current Events for trivia examples or I Was Young and Needed the Money and Once Done, Never Forgotten for in-universe examples. Wick Cleaning for this page is tracked here.
Author's Saving Throw: 3128 wicks as of 01/27/2023
- Now Trivia instead of YMMV, and requires Word of God and/or Word of Saint Paul confirmation that the changes were made due to audience complaints. Wicks without Word of God confirmation may better fit Win Back the Crowd, Character Rerailment, Salvaged Story, We Don't Suck Anymore, or Rescued from the Scrappy Heap instead.
Both Sides Have a Point: 2024 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- The definition was expanded so the two opposing sides can come to an agreement on their own instead of solely if a third party points it out. However, since the trope is In-Universe Examples Only, in-universe acknowledgement must be present in the work in at least one of those two forms instead of audiences coming to that conclusion on their own.
Plot Hole: 2907 wicks (including 93 at Plot Holes) as of 1/29/2023
- Now a definition-only page. Links to numerous more specific tropes that some wicks could be moved to instead.
Black Sheep: 2019 wicks as of 01/30/2023 Active TRS Thread
- The definition was expanded to include group dynamics other than just families where the character's placement in the group is considered to be unique, strange, or negative in some way. In addition, the type of group this is for is tight-knit groups where membership is a core part of a shared identity, (and, by extension, purpose or values) such as a tightly-knit religious community, or group that has banded together for a common cause, True Companions style), rather than more loosely organized groups such as school classes or corporations. Since not all examples fit the expanded definition, cleanup is being tracked using the Black Sheep Wick Cleaning sandbox.
Would Hit a Girl: 6037 wicks as of 01/23/2023 Active TRS Thread
- Remove examples that do no fit the new definition of "A guy that has no problems with violence against women is treated as morally questionable at best or evil at worst in a work's narrative and other characters." Cleanup is being tracked using the Would Clean Wicks sandbox.