Alternatively, maybe you have simply come upon a page with a trope description that is... insufficient. If you feel unable (or unwilling) to fix it at the time, you could put it on your To-Do List and fix it later. However, if you want to evoke a bit of Wiki Magic for the task, you've come to the right place. Here is what you can do:
- Add a link to the offending trope to one of the categories at the bottom of this page (try to be specific).
- Put a link to "Needs a Better Description" on the offending trope's main page.
- Put a note on the offending trope's Discussion page explaining what the problem is with the description. When you've done all three things, others will bless you with their Wiki Magic.
For best results, please complete all three action items listed above.
Please do not mark pages that simply seem less-than-perfect. Such issues can be irritating but are often easily remedied, so please resist the urge to share such pages with others and just fix them.
We're looking for defects severe enough they need attention, and that might need the attention of more than a single Troper. See the categories below for some of the reasons you might list a page here. There are also two Special Efforts forum threads that list some common issues with trope and work descriptions, and are a good place to ask for help: Trope Description Improvement Drive and Improving work and creator page descriptions.
If you want to help clean up pages listed below, here are a few pointers:
- You don't have to be cute, just understandable. When in doubt, be Boring, but Practical.
- We have Indexes for related tropes, you don't need to reference every similar trope within the article.
- Remember that page quotes are optional; their inclusion should be helpful to the description, not merely cool or funny.
- Unless the trope is an index and has dozens of different connotations, there is no need to write a dissertation. Simple, short descriptions help keep the examples clear.
- Examples go in the Examples list, the description should be free of them. The only exceptions may be the Trope Namer or Older Than They Think examples.
For the convenience of those working on this list, it is divided into a number of subcategories. Please try to keep these up-to-date by correcting categorizations as needed. Obviously, some of the categorization is subjective, so feel free to move something that seems to be in the wrong place. If you put a page on the list of defective pages, please also put a note in the Discussion for that page as to what seems to be the problem.
Once you've corrected the problems (or if you find a description that Magic seems to have already repaired), please both: remove the link from this list and remove the link to here from that page. In general, please remember to delete items from these lists as you move or complete them. The list tends to pile up, so please try to help keep it clean—make certain you are putting your listing in the proper place.
If you're hankering to fix something, but don't feel like addressing the articles listed here, you might take a look at the items listed under Needs Wiki Magic Love for other things needing a bit of help.
- Alliterative Title
- And Here He Comes Now
- Answering Echo
- Big Store
- Bowled Over
- Chandelier Swing
- Children in Tow
- Come Back, My Pet!
- The Con
- Counting Sheep
- Cut the Fuse
- Door Focus
- Extreme Sport Excuse Plot
- Extendable Arms
- Fantastic Fighting Style
- Finger on Lips
- Forging Scene
- Funny Robot
- Gag Lips
- Geeky Analogy: Needs to have most of the description rewritten and description added.
- Get a Stupid Answer
- Gratuitous Italian
- Hands Go Down
- Informal Eulogy: Description lacks context and leans too hard on video game association.
- Is the Answer to This Question "Yes"?
- Killer Gorilla
- Living Statue: Not all of these are monsters
- A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away...: The description is too terse and it's unclear what the important facets are.
- Miko: Specifically, could someone explain what exactly shrine maidens are supposed to do?
- Minion Maracas
- The Mark
- Marked to Die
- Ondo: 2 lines and no image, 01-19-2016.
- Phlebotinum Dependence
- Prank Injuries
- Pressure Plate
- Pummel Duel
- Rabid Cop
- Robot Dog
- Ram by Braking
- Robo Ship
- Shadow Dictator
- The Schlub Pub Seduction Deduction: It needs a description that doesn't frame it as an Audience Reaction.
- Sink-or-Swim Fatherhood: The Example as a Thesis is too cute for its own good.
- Second Face Smoke
- Self-Adaptation - The description is brief and needs work.
- Schiff One-Liner
- Smarmy Host
- Soapbox Square
- Special Thanks
- Sphere Eyes
- Spike Balls of Doom
- Static Electricity
- Trampoline Tummy
- Wheelchair Antics
- You Are the New Trend
- Amanda McKittrick Ros: This seems to be a critique of her Purple Prose and personality, rather than about her. 01-21-2016
- Bram Stoker
- Danielle Steel
- Danny McBride
- Disney: Needs a better history.
- Fantasy Flight Games
- H. Jon Benjamin
- Jennifer Connelly
- Jim Meskimen
- Joel Schumacher
- K. D. Wentworth
- Kaori Yuki
- Lani Minella
- Lloyd Alexander
- Nora Ephron
- Paul Walker: Mostly about his death and F&F7, rather than him/his career in general, 01-15-2016.
- Shoji Meguro
- Tonko House
- TheNewMath: A better description of the overall plot would be a nice thing to have here
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: Character outline instead of a plot synopsis. 01-21-2016
- Friday Night Lights:Needs more meat/general refinement. 01-21-2016
- Sanctum: Needs description of the film's content.
- Super Troopers: Needs better wording.
- Steel Magnolias: Currently more of a character outline than a plot synopsis. Needs a description with better flow. 01-21-2016
- Tank: Current description just lists cast members and other stuff they've appeared in.
- Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl: Quote doesn't have context, needs more meat concerning the plot, maybe audience reception. 01-19-2016
- The Book of All Hours: Old Description was lifted off a review site. Replaced with a placeholder.
- The Butter Battle Book: Copied from The Other Wiki.
- Crown Duel
- Demon Road
- Enola Holmes
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
- Frontier Magic
- Goofus and Gallant
- In Her Shoes
- Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
- Keeping You a Secret
- The Last Rune
- M*A*S*H: Most of the description is a lengthy plot summary.
- Psychic Detective Yakumo
- State of Fear: Synopsis is separated in two parts unnecessarily and needs to be merged. Also lacks image. 01-19-2016
- Tales of the City
- Theriomorph Chronicles
- Tipping the Velvet: The description could use a little punch.
- The Westing Game
- When We Were Animals: Can be spruced up a little bit.
- Youth in Revolt
- AR∀GO: City of London Police's Special Crimes Investigator
- DEAD Tube: The description needs work (boldface is overused, and the writer doesn't seem to be a native English speaker).
- Destroy and Revolution: Needs a better description.
- The Hating Girl
- Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
- Rappi Rangai: Story can be more fleshed out, and could use some contextual info (when it was made, audience reception, etc.). 01-19-2016.
- Sundome: Basically just a recap of chapter one, fails to describe actual premise.
- Virgin Ripper
- Campus: Description is all one sentence.
- Girl Meets World: Has more emphasis on role reprisals from its parent series than it does on the series itself.
- Cape Wrath: Copypasta from The Other Wiki, has been worked on but still needs some cleanup 01-15-2016.
- French and Saunders: 5 lines about the careers of the stars, nothing about the content of the show. Also no image. 01-21-2016
- The Osbournes
- The Puzzle Place: The description is very brief, which the article tries to make up for by directing readers to the series' Wikipedia page.
- Topper: Description could use more meat and an image. 01-19-2016
- Ultraman Cosmos: 80-90% of the description is copied from The Other Wiki (by the author's own admission), and that aside, it's pretty badly written, with a bit of broken English and little to no text formatting.
Table Top Games
- Pathogen: The Infected: Lots about the mechanics of the game, very little about the game otherwise. 01-19-2016
- Zombie: The Coil: Shifts to second-person, and references to plot elements are made without covering much of the storyline. 01-19-2016
- The Blackblood Alliance: Current summary is written badly and is about the first version of the comic, which was canceled July 2009. The comic is currently being rebooted, but the plot appears to be very different than the previous version, and the summary should be focused on the Reboot.
- Channel Ate
- Divine Bells
- Holy Bibble
- Surviving The World
- Two Masters
- Beast Keeper
- Leap Frog: Only has a description of what DVDs were released, but nothing is said on the plot.
- Weird-Ohs: Current description seems to be ripped straight from Wikipedia.
- Arc Rise Fantasia
- Assassin's Creed: Franchise-page; needs a better summary, description etc.
- Civilization: Call to Power: Needs a more thorough description of the game and what differentiates it from games which are actually in the Civilization series.
- Cyclomaniacs: Very little about the games
- Dragon Valor
- Dust: A Tale of the Wired West
- Energy Breaker
- Layers of Fear
- The Legend of Kage
- Legend of Princess
- The Legend of Zelda: Currently, eight games (including three console games) don't feature Ganon as a threat and a further two only have him as an empty shell of a final boss. Also, his last non-remake appearance was in 2006. And is the basic story really that similar for each game?
- Lost Smile And Strange Circus: Needs more detail on the story, the gameplay section is too long.
- Mimana Iyar Chronicle: Needs expansion on the story, 01-19-2016.
- Minecraft: Story Mode
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
- Of Orcs And Men
- Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy
- Super Smash Flash
- Super Tux Kart
- A Virus Named TOM
- Pooch Café
- Planet of the Apes: Needs a better lead paragraph, and tweaks to the headers of every subsection.
- Rock Raiders
- The Witches of Eastwick
- Chaos Marauders
- Death Angel
- Henry VIII
- Color Guardians
- Robotto Jukujo
- The Necro Critic: This description is about as vaguely generic as one can get. It doesn't do anything to describe the show or character outside of the fact that he's an internet reviewer.
- Viga Loves Comics
- DuckTales: Description is 2 lines and needs an image. 01-21-2016.
- Katman: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Max Ride: First Flight: Short description, 01-21-2016.
- One Hundred Girls: Short description, no image, all zero-context examples. 01-21-2016
- The Superman Adventures: Short description and needs an image. 01-21-2016
- Cornelia Funke
- Durwood Fincher
- Handmade Films
- Jonathan Winters
- Lani Minella
- Neil Burger
- Sam Mendes: Filmography is there, yet the description is only two sentences.
- Debbie Reynolds: Description skips from her breakout role to her death.
- Celestia VS Cleverbot
- The Dragon Journals
- Friends of a Solar Empire
- Pet Project
- Ranma Saotome, Chi Master
- The Road Roller Rampage
- Vienna Burning
- Action Man: Description is 1 sentence, no image, 01-16-2016.
- Alexander: 2 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Broken Flowers
- Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
- Candyman: Day of the Dead
- Cedar Rapids: 3 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- The Cincinnati Kid
- Club Dread: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Cool Hand Luke
- Combat Shock
- Cop and a Half: Short plot description. 01-20-2016
- Dark Blue: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- Fierce People
- From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- The Front
- Ghost Dad: Short description as of 01-21-2016.
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night: 2 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- The Great Raid
- Guest House Paradiso
- Hector and the Search for Happiness
- The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
- The Hospital: 1 line, also needs tropes. 01-21-2016
- Howling III: The Marsupials
- Johnny Gaddaar: Description is 1 sentence, 7 listed tropes, 01-15-2016.
- Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max: Tropes are present, but the only other info is the title, its place in the Movie War series and its Japanese release date. Also needs image. 01-21-2016
- The Ladies Man
- Max Steel
- Men of Honor: 2 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- The Next Three Days
- Patriot Games: 2 quotes and 2 lines, no image. 01-22-2016
- Revolver: 4 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Shark Attack 3: Megalodon: 2 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- A Sound of Thunder
- Speed Racer: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- Stormbreaker: Description includes no elements of plot as of 01-15-2016.
- The Sweetest Thing: 1 line, no plot description as of 03-13-2017.
- The Truth About Charlie
- When Will I Be Loved
- 87th Precinct
- Age of Steam
- Allie Beckstrom series: Description only includes author, genre, and list of book titles as of 02-05-2017.
- At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- The Bell at Sealey Head
- Citizen of the Galaxy
- The Coldest War
- Eccentric Circles
- A Girl Named Disaster
- Kuromajo-san ga Toru!!
- Necessary Evil
- Razorland Trilogy
- Reckless: Needs description.
- Red Dwarf
- The Sound of Waves
- Strumpet City
- Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show!
- Pablo The Little Red Fox
- The Peanuts Movie: No plot description.
- Pryde of the X-Men: One line description
- Ax Men
- Bad Samaritans
- Fat Guy Stuck in Internet
- Justice: Description provides character description but lacks plot, image added, 01-15-2016.
- KVN: Couple of sentences that seem to be copied from Wikipedia.
- Last Comic Standing: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Mind of Mencia: Did basic editing for clarity and style. Needs expansion describing the content of the show.
- Movie Rehab
- Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 1 E 4 The Man With The Power. Plot synopsis is only one line.
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 1 E 11 It Crawled Out Of The Woodwork. No plot synopsis as of 8-16-17.
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 2 E 15 The Brain Of Colonel Barham. Plot synopsis is only two lines.
- Recap.The Twilight Zone S 5 E 124 A Kind Of A Stopwatch. No plot synopsis as of 8-16-17.
- The Twilight Zone (2002)
- Zeke and Luther: Consists of 4 lines and 3 bullets. 01-21-2016
- Space Story: No synopsis and no in-depth description.
- Asura's Wrath
- Card Monsters
- Fat Princess Adventures
- Fling Smash: Description is only four words: "Game for the Wii", as of 01-15-2018.
- Minority Report: Everybody Runs
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
- Neptune's Pride
- Period Cube
- Rusty Hearts
- Shadows of the Damned
- Stalin vs. Martians
- Strike Force Heroes: Very bare boned. Need'=s a more beefy description.
- Minecraft: Story Mode
- Ashen Blade Only one sentence long, 02-22-2018.
- The Dreadful
- Lunar Hill: Only one line long and a link as of 02-21-2018.
- Nicky 510: Description is 1 sentence, 01-15-2016.
- Powerpuff Girls Re Imagined
- ICTON: Adventures in Minecraft: Description is 3 lines, no image, 01-19-2016.
- The Christmas Bunny: Description is 1 line, no image, could also use more examples (has 13), 01-19-2016.
- Kissing Jessica Stein: Description is 1 line, no image, 17 example (some of which Zero Context Examples), 01-19-2016.
- Kazohinia: Description is 3 lines, no image, 5 examples, 01-19-2016.
- Lone Survivor: 3 lines and no image, 01-19-2016.
- Lyle in Cube Sector: 5 lines and no image (also a floating quote with no context), 01-19-2016.
- Marvel Animation: 4 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Zevo-3: Needs more meat (currently 3 lines). 01-19-2016
- The Claymation Compilation: The description is only four lines as 01-09-2018
- Doug's 1st Movie: Plot section is a bit detailed and cumbersome, 01-15-2016.
- Peter and Company: Unnecessary detail and lacking image, 01-15-2016.
- Always Having Juice: Needs more expansion on how characters and the plot differ from the Sonic the Hedgehog games, comics, and animation its based on. The character bit is elaborated on in the current description, the plot, not so much. All info needed is on the blog, just sift through the tags for each character. (Thanks Calamity Jane!)
- The Crush
- Furry Vengeance
- Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max: Needs a basic description of each part (not copied from Wikipedia, okay if some portions are combined)
- Pretty in Pink
- Scent of a Woman
- Steel Magnolias
- Step Up: Too long; currently runs through each film in the franchise. 01-19-2016
- Taking Lives
- What the #$*! Do We Know!?
- The Blademourner Trilogy
- Guin Saga
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Needs expanding on its differences between the franchise and literature series page, and specifying that this is exclusively the 1979 book.
- Johannes Cabal the Detective
- Lorna Doone
- The MacGuffin Doesn't Exist Here
- Quantum Gravity
- The Stinky Cheese Man: Tone comes off as overly critical, and no image. 01-19-2016
- The Supernaturalist
- Truth Series: I didn't read it in English, I simply don't know the correct terms.
- World of Tiers
- Jazz: Specifically, I created the page because I thought we should have it, but don't really like the manga myself. Revision by fan would really help it out. -whereismytea
- Kurogane: Copied directly from Wikipedia.
- Vampire Kisses Blood Relatives
- Bowling for Soup
- Buck Tick
- Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
- Huey Lewis and the News
- Hurt: I love their music, but I don't know enough about the band to write a good description. - Insanity Prelude
- Tommy Tallarico
- Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
- Crash Team Racing - Specifically, its campaign mode
- Crystal Towers 2
- Dangun Feveron
- Grandia Xtreme: Doesn't even have a description, just a trope list.
- Inherit the Earth
- Initial D Arcade Stage
- Sabre Wulf: Needs better intro, a picture (or two, one from each version), and descriptions of the similarities and differences between the 1984 Speccy version and the 2004 GBA version. Also plenty of tropes.
- SD Snatcher
- Sol Trigger: Used to have a longer description, but it was copied from Wikipedia.
- Warhawk: Needs information on the PS1 game especially.
- The Warriors
- The Way
- Bad Machinery
- The Comic Adventures of Left & Right
- Death and the Maiden
- Hipster Hitler
- The Trenches: Has four sentences, one of which is actually descriptive at all.