Alternatively, maybe you have simply come upon a page with a trope description that is... insufficient. If you feel unable (or unwilling) to fix it at the time, you could put it on your To-Do List and fix it later. However, if you want to evoke a bit of Wiki Magic for the task, you've come to the right place. Here is what you can do:
- Add a link to the offending trope to one of the categories at the bottom of this page (try to be specific).
- Put a link to "Needs a Better Description" on the offending trope's main page.
- Put a note on the offending trope's Discussion page explaining what the problem is with the description. When you've done all three things, others will bless you with their Wiki Magic.
For best results, please complete all three action items listed above.
Please do not mark pages that simply seem less-than-perfect. Such issues can be irritating but are often easily remedied, so please resist the urge to share such pages with others and just fix them.
We're looking for defects severe enough they need attention, and that might need the attention of more than a single Troper. See the categories below for some of the reasons you might list a page here. There are also two Special Efforts forum threads that list some common issues with trope and work descriptions, and are a good place to ask for help: Trope Description Improvement Drive and Improving work and creator page descriptions.
If you want to help clean up pages listed below, here are a few pointers:
- You don't have to be cute, just understandable. When in doubt, be Boring, but Practical.
- We have Indexes for related tropes, you don't need to reference every similar trope within the article.
- Remember that page quotes are optional; their inclusion should be helpful to the description, not merely cool or funny.
- Unless the trope is an index and has dozens of different connotations, there is no need to write a dissertation. Simple, short descriptions help keep the examples clear.
- Examples go in the Examples list, the description should be free of them. The only exceptions may be the Trope Namer or Older Than They Think examples.
For the convenience of those working on this list, it is divided into a number of subcategories. Please try to keep these up-to-date by correcting categorizations as needed. Obviously, some of the categorization is subjective, so feel free to move something that seems to be in the wrong place. If you put a page on the list of defective pages, please also put a note in the Discussion for that page as to what seems to be the problem.
Once you've corrected the problems (or if you find a description that Magic seems to have already repaired), please both: remove the link from this list and remove the link to here from that page. In general, please remember to delete items from these lists as you move or complete them. The list tends to pile up, so please try to help keep it clean—make certain you are putting your listing in the proper place.
If you're hankering to fix something, but don't feel like addressing the articles listed here, you might take a look at the items listed under Needs Wiki Magic Love for other things needing a bit of help.
- All-Knowing Singing Narrator: Description is only a few lines.
- Alliterative Title
- And Here He Comes Now
- Answering Echo
- Big Store
- Bowled Over
- Chandelier Swing
- Character Overlap: Description is just two terse sentences and needs expansion.
- Children in Tow
- Come Back, My Pet!
- The Con
- Cut the Fuse
- Door Focus
- Extreme Sport Excuse Plot
- Extendable Arms
- Fantastic Fighting Style
- Far-Out Foreigner's Favorite Food: Two line description, unclear what trope really is.
- Finger on Lips
- Forging Scene
- Funny Robot
- Gag Lips
- Geeky Analogy: Needs to have most of the description rewritten and description added.
- Gender-Bent Alternate Universe
- Get a Stupid Answer
- Gratuitous Italian
- Hands Go Down
- Informal Eulogy: Description lacks context and leans too hard on video game association.
- Is the Answer to This Question "Yes"?
- Killer Gorilla
- Living Statue: Not all of these are monsters
- A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far Far Away...: The description is too terse and it's unclear what the important facets are.
- Miko: Specifically, could someone explain what exactly shrine maidens are supposed to do?
- Minion Maracas
- The Mark
- Marked to Die
- Ondo: 2 lines and no image, 01-19-2016.
- Phlebotinum Dependence
- Picnic Episode: Relatively short and may be overly specific.
- Prank Injuries
- Pressure Plate
- Pummel Duel
- Rabid Cop
- Robot Dog
- Ram by Braking
- Robo Ship
- Shadow Dictator
- The Schlub Pub Seduction Deduction: It needs a description that doesn't frame it as an Audience Reaction.
- Sink-or-Swim Fatherhood: The Example as a Thesis is too cute for its own good.
- Second Face Smoke
- Self-Adaptation - The description is brief and needs work.
- Schiff One-Liner
- Smarmy Host
- Soapbox Square
- Special Thanks
- Sphere Eyes
- Spike Balls of Doom
- Static Electricity
- Trampoline Tummy
- Wheelchair Antics
- Vagabond Buddies: Very short descrption, unclear what the relationship with other Duo Tropes and hobo is.
- You Are the New Trend
- Leena Alam
- Maya Angelou (did my best, but I feel someone who's a better writer should look at it.)
- Bram Stoker
- Danielle Steel
- Danny McBride
- Disney: Needs a better history.
- Fantasy Flight Games
- H. Jon Benjamin
- James Byron Huggins
- Jim Meskimen
- Joel Schumacher
- K. D. Wentworth
- Kaori Yuki
- Lani Minella
- Lloyd Alexander
- Nora Ephron
- Shoji Meguro
- That Creepy Reading: Page only consists of a very short description, which does not give a very clear image of who the creator is and what makes them worthy of a creator page.
- Tonko House
- Juno Temple
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: Character outline instead of a plot synopsis. 01-21-2016
- Calendar Girls
- Friday Night Lights: Needs more meat/general refinement. 01-21-2016
- Sanctum: Needs description of the film's content.
- Super Troopers: Needs better wording.
- Steel Magnolias: Currently more of a character outline than a plot synopsis. Needs a description with better flow. 01-21-2016
- Tank: Current description just lists cast members and other stuff they've appeared in.
- Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl: Quote doesn't have context, needs more meat concerning the plot, maybe audience reception. 01-19-2016
- Wag Kang Lilingon: Description mentions the film is divided into three parts, but does not explain the plots of these parts.
- The Book of All Hours: Old Description was lifted off a review site. Replaced with a placeholder.
- The Butter Battle Book: Copied from The Other Wiki.
- Crown Duel
- Demon Road
- Enola Holmes
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
- Frontier Magic
- Goofus and Gallant
- House Rules: The description gives a few similarities between it and the author's other books, but doesn't actually give anything about the book's plot.
- In Her Shoes
- Johannes Cabal the Necromancer
- Keeping You a Secret
- The Last Rune
- M*A*S*H: Most of the description is a lengthy plot summary.
- Psychic Detective Yakumo
- State of Fear: Synopsis is separated in two parts unnecessarily and needs to be merged. Also lacks image. 01-19-2016
- The Summer King Chronicles
- Tales of the City
- Theriomorph Chronicles
- Tipping the Velvet: The description could use a little punch.
- The Westing Game
- When We Were Animals: Can be spruced up a little bit.
- The Witches of Eastwick
- Youth in Revolt
- AR∀GO: City of London Police's Special Crimes Investigator
- DEAD Tube: The description needs work (boldface is overused, and the writer doesn't seem to be a native English speaker).
- Destroy and Revolution: Needs a better description.
- The Hating Girl
- Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
- Rappi Rangai: Story can be more fleshed out, and could use some contextual info (when it was made, audience reception, etc.). 01-19-2016.
- Sundome: Basically just a recap of chapter one, fails to describe actual premise.
- Virgin Ripper
- Campus: Description is all one sentence.
- Girl Meets World: Has more emphasis on role reprisals from its parent series than it does on the series itself.
- Cape Wrath: Copypasta from The Other Wiki, has been worked on but still needs some cleanup 01-15-2016.
- French and Saunders: 5 lines about the careers of the stars, nothing about the content of the show. 01-21-2016
- Kidsongs: A good chunk of the description is plagiarized from the one on Kidsongs' Wikipedia page.
- The Osbournes
- The Puzzle Place: The description is very brief, which the article tries to make up for by directing readers to the series' Wikipedia page.
- The Studio K Show
- Topper: Description could use more meat and an image. 01-19-2016
- Ultraman Cosmos: 80-90% of the description is copied from The Other Wiki (by the author's own admission), and that aside, it's pretty badly written, with a bit of broken English and little to no text formatting.
- Pathogen: The Infected: Lots about the mechanics of the game, very little about the game otherwise. 01-19-2016
- Puerto Rico: A vague, two-sentence description with no tropes. 04-06-2019
- Zombie: The Coil: Shifts to second-person, and references to plot elements are made without covering much of the storyline. 01-19-2016
- The Blackblood Alliance: Current summary is written badly and is about the first version of the comic, which was canceled July 2009. The comic is currently being rebooted, but the plot appears to be very different than the previous version, and the summary should be focused on the Reboot.
- Channel Ate
- Divine Bells
- Holy Bibble
- Surviving The World
- Beast Keeper
- Leap Frog: Only has a description of what DVDs were released, but nothing is said on the plot.
- Weird-Ohs: Current description seems to be ripped straight from Wikipedia.
- Arc Rise Fantasia
- Assassin's Creed: Franchise-page; needs a better summary, description etc.
- Civilization: Call to Power: Needs a more thorough description of the game and what differentiates it from games which are actually in the Civilization series.
- Cyclomaniacs: Very little about the games
- Dragon Valor
- Dust: A Tale of the Wired West
- Energy Breaker
- The Granstream Saga: Needs more information that doesn't look like it was copied and pasted.
- Layers of Fear
- The Legend of Kage
- Legend of Princess
- Lost smile and strange circus: Needs more detail on the story, the gameplay section is too long.
- Mimana Iyar Chronicle: Needs expansion on the story, 01-19-2016.
- Minecraft: Story Mode
- Move Or Die
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
- Of Orcs and Men
- Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy
- Super Smash Flash
- Super Tux Kart
- A Virus Named TOM
- Hand Shakers
- Little Lulu
- Piccolino no Bouken: The description for the show's premise needs more information.
- The Dark Tower
- DuckTales: Description is 3 sentences, 10-06-2018.
- Invader Zim (Oni)
- Katman: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Max Ride: First Flight: Short description, 01-21-2016.
- Teen Titans: Year One
- The Superman Adventures: Short description, 01-21-2016
- Cornelia Funke
- Durwood Fincher
- Handmade Films
- Topher Grace: Two sentences as of 04-29-2019
- Jessica Parker Kennedy: just one sentence as of 11-29-2018
- Jonathan Winters
- Joseph Morgan: Two sentences as of 02-17-2019
- Katherine McNamara: Two sentences as of 08-06-2019
- Lani Minella
- Lauren German: Just one sentence as of 12-13-2018
- Neil Burger
- Jimmi Simpson: Just one sentence as of 12-03-2018
- Dominique Swain: Just one sentence as of 06-21-2019
- Nick Zano: Two sentences as of 05-15-2019
- Dayo Okeniyi: Just two sentences as of 07-23-2019
- Risa Mizuno
- Yuuki Tai
- Celestia VS Cleverbot
- The Dragon Journals
- Friends of a Solar Empire
- Pet Project
- Ranma Saotome, Chi Master
- The Road Roller Rampage
- Second Chances Series: Just two sentences as of 07-22-19
- Vienna Burning
- Alien 40th Anniversary Shorts
- Alexander: 2 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Anna: Two sentences as of 07-01-2019.
- Broken Flowers
- Cedar Rapids: 3 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Club Dread: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Cool Hand Luke
- Cop and a Half: Short plot description. 01-20-2016
- Dark Blue: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- Fierce People
- From Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- The Front
- Ghost Dad: Short description as of 01-21-2016.
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night: 2 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- Guest House Paradiso
- Happy End: 1 sentence as of 07-31-2019
- Hector and the Search for Happiness
- The Heartbreak Kid (2007)
- Howling III: The Marsupials
- Johnny Gaddaar: Description is 1 sentence, 7 listed tropes, 01-15-2016.
- Kidnap: Two sentences as of 11-22-2018
- The Ladies Man
- The Last Shark
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: One sentence as of 05-02-2019
- Max Steel
- Men of Honor: 2 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Mortal Engines
- MW: 2 lines as of 10-03-2018
- The Next Three Days
- The One I Love: 1 line as of 12-22-2018
- Revolver: 4 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Shark Attack 3: Megalodon: 2 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- A Simple Wish
- A Sound of Thunder
- Speed Racer: Description is 3 sentences as of 01-15-2016.
- Stormbreaker: Description includes no elements of plot as of 01-15-2016.
- The Sweetest Thing: 1 line, no plot description as of 03-13-2017.
- The Truth About Charlie
- Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps: Two sentences as of 12-17-2018.
- War: 2 sentences as of 12-24-2018
- When Will I Be Loved
- My Room Has Become a Dungeon's Rest Stop: One sentence.
- Shingan no Yuusha has a description of two sentences and says almost nothing about the story.
- 87th Precinct
- Age of Steam
- Allie Beckstrom series: Description only includes author, genre, and list of book titles as of 02-05-2017.
- Angelmaker: A single sentence that says nothing about the plot as of 05-24-2020.
- At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- The Bell at Sealey Head
- Citizen of the Galaxy
- The Coldest War
- Eccentric Circles
- Fox Craft One line as of 10-07-2018
- A Girl Named Disaster
- The Guinevere Deception
- Kuromajo-san ga Toru!!
- Necessary Evil
- Razorland Trilogy
- Reckless: Needs description.
- Red Dwarf
- The Sound of Waves
- Strumpet City
- Black Tide
- The Sundays: Short description and no image 01-15-2016.
- Unleash The Archers: Just two sentences as of 07-22-2019.
- Aaagh! It's the Mr. Hell Show!
- Miss Moon
- Pablo The Little Red Fox
- The Peanuts Movie: No plot description.
- Perfect Hair Forever: No plot description.
- Pryde of the X-Men: One line description.
- Scream Street
- Ax Men
- Bad Samaritans
- The Cool Kids
- Fat Guy Stuck in Internet
- Justice: Description provides character description but lacks plot, image added, 01-15-2016.
- KVN: Couple of sentences that seem to be copied from Wikipedia.
- Last Comic Standing: 3 lines as of 01-21-2016.
- The Lost Room: 2 lines as of 08-29-2018.
- Mind of Mencia: Did basic editing for clarity and style. Needs expansion describing the content of the show.
- Movie Rehab
- Nicky, Ricky, Dicky, and Dawn
- Three Rivers
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 1 E 4 The Man With The Power. Plot synopsis is only one line.
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 1 E 11 It Crawled Out Of The Woodwork. No plot synopsis as of 8-16-17.
- Recap.The Outer Limits 1963 S 2 E 15 The Brain Of Colonel Barham. Plot synopsis is only two lines.
- Recap.The Twilight Zone S 5 E 124 A Kind Of A Stopwatch. No plot synopsis as of 8-16-17.
- The Twilight Zone (2002)
- Who Is America?
- Zeke and Luther: Consists of 4 lines and 3 bullets. 01-21-2016
- Army Corps of Hell: Description is only two sentences as of November 2018.
- Asura's Wrath
- Card Monsters
- Daxter: Two sentences as of 06-27-2019
- Fat Princess Adventures
- Fling Smash: Description is only four words: "Game for the Wii", as of 01-15-2018.
- Minority Report: Everybody Runs
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations
- Neptune's Pride
- Period Cube
- Power Instinct: Most of the description is the list of games, leaving that apart it's just a couple of lines, 10-03-2018.
- Rusty Hearts
- Shadows of the Damned
- Shinobi (2002)
- Stalin vs. Martians
- Strike Force Heroes: Very bare boned. Need'=s a more beefy description.
- Minecraft: Story Mode
- Ashen Blade Only one sentence long, 02-22-2018.
- The Dreadful
- Lunar Hill: Only one line long and a link as of 02-21-2018.
- ICTON: Adventures in Minecraft: Description is 3 lines, no image, 01-19-2016.
- Kissing Jessica Stein: Description is 2 sentences, 17 examples (some of which Zero-Context Examples), 10-06-2018.
- Kazohinia: Description is 3 lines, no image, 5 examples, 01-19-2016.
- Lone Survivor: 3 lines and no image, 01-19-2016.
- Lyle in Cube Sector: 5 lines and no image (also a floating quote with no context), 01-19-2016.
- Marvel Animation: 4 lines as of 01-19-2016.
- Zevo-3: Needs more meat (currently 3 lines). 01-19-2016
- Wipeout Roblox
- The Nightly News at Nine: Description is only one sentence.
- Evil Dead (2013): Full summary of the film, 06-27-2019.
- Doug's 1st Movie: Plot section is a bit detailed and cumbersome, 01-15-2016.
- The Adventures of the American Rabbit: Essentially an entire plot summary, including spoiler tags, 10-6-2018.
- Peter and Company: Unnecessary detail, 01-15-2016.
- Innocent Venus: Could use some love from someone less biased.
- Always Having Juice: Needs more expansion on how characters and the plot differ from the Sonic the Hedgehog games, comics, and animation its based on. The character bit is elaborated on in the current description, the plot, not so much. All info needed is on the blog, just sift through the tags for each character. (Thanks Calamity Jane!)
- The Crush
- Furry Vengeance
- Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max: Needs a basic description of each part (not copied from Wikipedia, okay if some portions are combined)
- Pretty in Pink
- Scent of a Woman
- Steel Magnolias
- Step Up: Too long; currently runs through each film in the franchise. 01-19-2016
- Taking Lives
- What the #$*! Do We Know!?
- The Blademourner Trilogy
- Guin Saga
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Needs expanding on its differences between the franchise and literature series page, and specifying that this is exclusively the 1979 book.
- Johannes Cabal the Detective
- Lorna Doone
- Quantum Gravity
- The Stinky Cheese Man: Tone comes off as overly critical.
- The Supernaturalist
- Truth Series
- World of Tiers
- Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
- Crash Team Racing - Specifically, its campaign mode
- Crystal Towers 2
- Dangun Feveron
- Inherit the Earth
- Initial D Arcade Stage
- Sabre Wulf: Needs better intro, a picture (or two, one from each version), and descriptions of the similarities and differences between the 1984 Speccy version and the 2004 GBA version. Also plenty of tropes.
- SD Snatcher
- Sol Trigger: Used to have a longer description, but it was copied from Wikipedia.
- Warhawk: Needs information on the PS1 game especially.
- The Warriors
- The Way (RPG Maker)