The BasicsHere on TV Tropes, "Registering" (formerly called "Getting Known") means to create a user account on this site. Once you have registered, you will be an official member of the wiki: a troper.
Most importantly, you will be given the privilege to edit articles. It was once that those who were not known possessed edit privileges, but, due to circumstances which are beyond our control, they may no longer do so. Good Night, Sweet Prince.
Logging in and out may be done by clicking on the profile icon on the top right of the main toolbar. You can also go directly to the login form using this link.
Account Controls and Maintenance
- To edit your profile, go here. You can change your site preferences, upload an avatar, and perform most of the functions listed below.
- To change your account password once you are logged in, head over to this page.
- To recover a lost password, go here. This requires that you have an email address associated with your account, and that you have access to that email account.
- If you created an account prior to the email verification requirement, you may associate an email address with it here.
- If you forget your password, and you do not have an associated email address, we may not be able to recover your account. You may make a new handle and post here, note but there is no guarantee that we can help. If possible, post from the same connection that you used with your old account.
- If we approve your request, your original account will be "reset", meaning that you will have to register it again with a valid email address.
- If we deny your request, it is because we cannot associate your current information with your previous account.
- To register, you must provide a working email address. An email will be sent to that address to confirm your registration. You must click on the link in that email, or paste it into your browser, to activate your account.
- We do not permit "disposable" email addresses to be used for registration. If we determine that you have used one, your account may be blocked without notice.
- If you do not immediately receive a registration email, your account may have gone into an approval queue because it triggered one or more of our security checks. A moderator will review the request and approve or deny it. If it is approved, the registration email will be sent. This process may take up to 24 hours, so please be patient.
- Creating multiple accounts in rapid succession may be viewed as an attempt to circumvent our security checks. Please do not do this.
- Any given email address may only be used for one account at a time. Changing the email address associated with an account will "release" the old one, letting you use it again.
- Your handle may only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9) and certain limited forms of punctuation.
- If your handle doesn't start with a letter or contains any punctuation other than a hyphen (-), you will not be able to create a Tropers page for yourself.
- Certain types of punctuation may also prevent anyone from sending you a private message. If you have a handle like this, we may request that you make a new account, and/or block your account.
- You cannot change your handle once you have created your account. We cannot transfer history, PMs, or any other data between accounts.
- We're sorry, but we don't currently support diacritics or any other non-English characters in handles.
- Vulgar or crude handles may be banned at moderator discretion.
- By registering, you understand and agree that any IP addresses you use will be logged and may be employed by us to establish your account's identity.
- The use of anonymizing proxies or any other attempt to conceal your IP address during registration will result in your account being blocked if detected. (Once you are registered, we do not place any restrictions on proxy use.)
- If you have been suspended (see What to Do If You Are Suspended) from any part of the wiki, do not create a new account. Doing so is considered ban evasion and will result in all handles you create or have created being permanently banned.
- After registering and logging in, your login information will be stored in a site cookie on the device you logged in from. If you do not have cookies enabled, certain features may not work properly. To delete the site cookie, log out.
- We cannot and will not "delete" accounts. Account histories, including forum posts, wiki edits, reviews, and so on, are retained regardless of whether an account is active or banned. If you no longer wish to use your account, our recommendation is that you scramble your password and then log out.
New Account Restrictions
For a limited period of time (we do not disclose the exact duration), all new accounts may be subject to certain restrictions. We do this to help contain attempts to vandalize or spam the site.
- New accounts may not post in the forums for 24 hours after registration.
- New accounts may not make any forum post that contains an external URL.
- New accounts are limited in how many forum posts they can make in a short period of time.
- Wiki edits made by new accounts will be flagged in the Recent Edits report.
- New accounts may be monitored directly at moderator discretion.