Instances of Actually Pretty Funny in fanfiction.
- In Sephiroth Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Sephiroth!Harry is given detention for "accusing the Undersecretary of subverting the Ministry". Given Umbridge's actual agenda, McGonagall barely restrains herself until Sephiroth!Harry leaves the room, then bursts into hysterical laughter.
- During a Jedi Council meeting in I still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Obi-wan reads over Harry Potter's application to the Bounty Hunter's Guild and several Jedi have to suppress their laughter at his aliases such as "Lord Lemon Drop", "Agodden Bed", and "Foat Gucker". Even hearing that several people called him Harry just makes them think it was a set-up for yet another joke.
- In For Love Of Magic, Harry Potter and Adrastia Zabini are trading snark when Adrastia mentions offhand that her mother's from Africa. Harry's response surprises a laugh out of her.Harry: Your mother was from Africa?
Adrastia: Where else do you think I got my lovely black skin?
Harry: I figured you were born white and then turned black when the color of your heart started leaking through.
- In The British Reformation Harry unintentionally insults the director of Gringotts East by asking if he and his entourage have taken the oath of secrecy Harry's project requires.Ragnik: That was funny. It's rare that people speak to me in such a tone. Of course that might be because I am usually inside goblin territory and such actions would soon see you bereft of your head, but here that was truly funny.
- The Fifth House:Snape: I had the misfortune of becoming a target of those assholes over there, including your father, for their pranking. Mostly harmless stuff, turning my robes pink, banishing my hair, things like that. I grew up not too dissimilarly from you. My father thought a belt was meant for better things than holding up his pants. So pranks by the 'Marauders' were not very hurtful. I thought some of them were pretty funny actually.
- Upon learning he's a wizard in Harry Potter and the Horrible Relatives, Harry asks if he can't just be an alien instead. Vernon laughs so hard he has to leave the room and even Petunia cracks a smile at that.
- In When in Rome Harry conjures a pumpkin around Draco's head and Hermione acts disapproving at first.Hermione appeared to be losing a battle to keep from smiling herself, before she finally let herself freely show her glee over Draco Malfoy's misfortune. "Alright, fine," she relented. "It was pretty funny."
- In chapter 7 of the Digimon fic Children of the Present, when Agumon confesses to having eaten "a lot of different things," Tai remarks that he's told him a hundred times not to try any of his mom's experimental cooking because it "most likely be poison or taste like something that was thrown up by an unhygienic baboon." Kari declares it to be a "complete and disgusting exaggeration"... but after a moment of thought, states that it might actually be true.
- In this short Fan Comic for Treasure Planet, Delbert's son slips his mom and sisters some catnip during dinner. Delbert eventually admits that it's funny.
- Most of the tricks the protagonist of Sophistication and Betrayal plays on his marefriend Rarity fall under this. Her usual response to them is to react in a completely deadpan manner, before breaking down and admitting they were actually pretty funny.
- In Diaries of a Madman, Celestia is secretly amused when Nav steals her crown, but wastes no time in having some fun herself by tasking Twilight with retrieving it.
- Kid Icarus Uprising: The Novelization: This is Palutena's reaction to Pit asking Viridi if she wears foliage panties in Chapter 11 (she does). Viridi is less than amused.
- In The Mouse of Konoha, Tsume suggests that the Nara exist to be a legal alternative to necrophilia. Even Shibi chuckles at the idea.
- When Raven catches Jinx robbing a jewelry store in Coincidence And Misunderstandings, she laughs at the latter's excuse that she was "window shopping".
- Throughout The Very Awkward Ringtone, Tony Stark goes around changing people's ringtones to prank them. While his antics cause headaches most of the time, even Nick Fury admits that it was rather amusing when every S.H.I.E.L.D. agent's ringtone had been switched to the Mission: Impossible theme.
- In Ten Random Characters, Reflet decides that Zelda is this after she makes an Incredibly Lame Pun.
- This is a sign that Team 7 is growing closer together in A Teacher's Glory. Naruto first starts seeing Sasuke as a friendly rival when he admits to himself that him (Naruto) getting repeatedly doused with frigid water was pretty funny, so it's understandable that Sasuke stuck around to watch. Naruto resolves to make sure it happens to someone else next time.
- In Return to Thorney Towers, Fred is initially insulted when Raz describes him as having his head in the clouds. After a beat, he realizes that the comment also doubles as a reference to how tall he is, and says, "That's funny."
- Friendship Is Empathy: When Rainbow Dash apologizes for calling Twilight "Twilight Snarkle", Twilight doesn't remember her saying that (turns out Dash didn't say it out loud originally), but admits that it's "actually kinda funny".
- Kitsune no Ken: Fist of the Fox: During Naruto's closed-doors trial, being held to determine whether he'll go before an official trial with a jury to answer for his actions as one of the Kyuushingai, he almost openly calls Jiraiya a pervert, but manages to stop himself just in time. Yugao, the attorney prosecuting Naruto, has to put one fist over her mouth to stifle her quiet chuckling.
- Angel in The Long Walk admits that Xander's Tinkerbell joke at him flying was pretty good considering it was off the cuff.
- In Mirror, Mirror, Xander remarks how the vampire wannabe club is an abomination, noting the way everyone is dressed, only for someone dressed just like Angel to walk by. When Xander notes he can't even agree with Angel without insulting him and blames karma, Angel has to cough to cover up his laughter.
- After a long, introspective talk in Commiseration, Sylvanas thanks Thrall for all he's done for the Forsaken. Thrall decides to lighten the mood by asking if he can call her "Sylvie" now. The question is so ridiculous that both break down laughing after a moment.
- In the Love Hina fic Contract Labor, Kitsune playfully teases Naru about her first meeting with Keitaro in the hot springs in the first chapter, telling her to leave her glasses on so she can make sure it's actually Kitsune when they go in the springs, "especially if she wants to compare breast sizes again." Naru gets a Luminescent Blush and orders Kitsune out of the room... but nonetheless laughs at that.
- In This Bites!, a One Piece Self-Insert fic:
- Cross's reaction to the second time Soundbite scares him with his Noise-Noise powers.
- Miss Valentine's Day openly laughs at Cross's guess that she's Miss April Fool's Day.
- Cross eventually manages to get Carue to admit this in response to Soundbite's powers letting him speak coherently... in Donald Duck's voice.
- Carue laughs when Cross answers Vivi's pondering of what Robin's game was by saying, "At a guess, I'd say baccarat."
- Usopp admits to this after Cross calls him a Tengu... though he promises that he's going to spike his food with hot sauce for the next week as payback.
- The Whitebeard Pirates share a laugh when Cross says the easiest way to guarantee that Whitebeard came down on someone with an unholy vengeance was... stealing his sake.
- Vivi admits that Cross telling Usopp to go for a swim in the White Sea (knowing that there is no bottom) was a little funny, though still not nice.
- Enel says that despite Cross's blasphemy, the scary story prank he played on the crew was hilarious.
- Jonathan falls off his chair when he hears what happened to Inspector Shepherd.
- Tashigi gets the giggles when she hears what kind of state the Straw-Hats left G8 in.
- Buggy refuses to find any aspect of the Straw Hat crew funny... until Soundbite plays the full original Who's on First? routine over the SBS.
- At one point in Roger, Roger, Anakin is griping about a new regulation passed in the Senate. Obi-wan soon informs him that a Senator had arrived on the planet for an inspection, and Anakin storms off to give said Senator a piece of his mind. Turns out, Obi-wan had deliberately neglected to mention that the Senator in question was Padme.Anakin: Oh really funny. ... Okay, maybe that was a little funny.
- In the Wonderfalls/Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossover Wonders Never Cease, Ethan Rayne manages to get himself torn to Ludicrous Gibs by a trickster deity. Xander calls it;Xander: So old Ethan got in over his head, then tried to get someone else to pay the bill, but things didn't work out for him. Yeah, that's him all over.
Jaye: EXCUSE ME! This isn't funny! Some wackjob tried to kill us! And then this unholy monster barged in and... (giggle) Him all over... I just got that.
- In Fragmentation, Hanse Davion is rather frustrated at the inability of any nation's intelligence agency to get any information on Executive Outcomes. But he finds himself very amused at the fates of the spies his nation and the Lyran Commonwealth sent. The MIIO spy finds himself stranded in a Canopan Pleasure Circus. The LIC spy finds herself trapped on a resort planet famed for its luxurious spas. Both have been given an account to enjoy their fates to the fullest for one month... the time it would take for any transport to get where they are, since EO has bought every seat in and out of said locations for that month. The fate of the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederations' spies, however, dives straight into Pay Evil unto Evil territory.
- In Ancient History, Danny actually found it hilarious that Sam ended up smelling like cooked meat and barbecue sauce after a battle with the Lunch Lady.
- In The Path Of Destiny, this is Spark's reaction when everyone makes fun of him about leading them into a hive and being trapped under a fence.
- In Scrap Value, Xander is being interrogated/seduced by Black Widow when he remarks he knows exactly what will happen. His explanation not only earns a snort of laughter from Natasha but she's mortified he managed to make her break character.Xander: You pretty much ask your questions, tease me mercilessly, and then once your questions are answered, Hawkeye beeps your comm and you make your excuses and go, leaving me to take a cold shower.
Black Widow: I think most men prefer to masturbate rather than take a cold shower.
Xander: I never said I wasn't going to, it's just easier to clean up if I'm in the shower to begin with.
Black Widow: Then why a cold shower?
Xander: I like a challenge.
- Only one of the many, many assassins sent after Naruto and Xanna in The (Questionable) Burdens of Leadership of a Troll Emperor is willing to indulge the former's antics and when Naruto despairs over the idea that a seven foot assassin that's built like a bear is actually a Frenchman named Dominique, said assassin is actually rather amused as he explains that he wasn't always that big.
- The Raven's Plan:
- During their first conversation after their betrothal, Margaery and Dickon can't help but laugh at the audacity of the fact that the first thing they can think of that they have in common is that they were both burned to death in the old timeline.
- Despite being understandably pissed to learn how Rhaegar set Elia aside for Lyanna, Doran and Oberyn can't help but laugh at the fact that this led to Ned hiding Jon's true heritage under Robert's nose for 15 years.
- In Part 1 of the Spice Girls fic Astral Journey: It's Complicated, Emma's brother, Paul, gets scolded for a joke about Snow White while Emma, who's the narrator, was in a coma. Emma, however, finds the joke pretty funny.
- Lelouch Of The Wings Of Rebellion: Lelouch breaks into laughter when, after a lengthy and difficult investigation, the team discovers that the Black King's real name is Blake King.