So, I have a bicycle trainer, and a surprisingly large library of dusty Play Station Two (and Play Station One) games. The two go together reasonably well, and I've started longer workouts on my days off. I figured I'd give liveblogging these games a shot. This is probably going to be a relatively unstructured liveblog.
- I may or may not be getting a handmedown X Box Three Sixty sometime soon, which should give me a bit more of a selection of games and such.
The thing that hits me, these really aren't as fun as I remember. Nostalgia Filter? But I've got to have something to do while I ride, and holding a controller is a lot easier than using a computer...for now, I should see if I can rig up a frame or use the voice commands...
So far I've been browsing through my library, and the ones I've looked at so far...
- Oni; nah, unbearably bad control, and not very interesting, despite the Animesque-styling.
- FinalFantasyX2; I'll be playing this on and off.
- I got my ass kicked in Final Fantasy X; it was my newb friend who stomped on the game; nonetheless, it is very odd to see Staff Chick Yuna as a pop star (and a level one one at that).
- The overarching story is that Yuna's come out of her brief retirement to go chasing after rumors that her companion Tidus was Not Quite Dead.
- Wild Arms 3; like the Desert Punk setting, but playing it is kinda bland.
- Ring Of Red; Turn-Based Strategy Mecha combat in an Alternate History 1960s Japan.
- Robot Alchemic Drive; A really Troperiffic HumongousMecha fighting game that is a bit more on the Super Robot side of things. The unique point is that you're outside the robot, with a remote control.
- Apparently, I dig giant robots. It's actually pretty fun. Makes me think Games Workshop should skip Dawn Of War and just make a Titanicus game.
- Your main tool is to punch the crap out of the alien invaders' giant robots, as they can teleport out of the way of your guns if you don't wear them down first. Massive Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots!
- The inevitable Evangelion comparison...as I recall, there was one Butt-Monkey Childhood Friend girl to take up most of the angst.
- Voice acting is pretty bad, though.