Bauglir100 on Jan 21st 2019 at 10:21:03 PM
Last Edited By:
Bauglir100 on Feb 15th 2019 at 9:19:58 AM
Page Type: trope
A type of Gameplay and Story Segregation. Say a gate you're supposed to be protecting is destroyed, but there is only one very weak Mook left that could possibly go through the gate. Or the enemy has reached his destination after a long chase and you have a sniper rifle pointed at his head. Think you could just kill them, right? Wrong!
The game pulls the plug on your mission as soon as you screw up, and there's no way to make up for it except for starting all over from the beginning.
- The video game adaptations of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return Of The King both have a level where you are put in charge of protecting a wall and keeping the amount of enemies on the wall as low as possible. If the meter representing the number of enemies present gets too high, then you have to watch your character succumb to Cutscene Incompetence and get cut down by enemy Orcs.
- In Kingdom Hearts II, the Demyx boss fights have a special gimmick where you must beat all of the water clones within the time limit or it's game over, even if there's only one left when you hit the time limit.
- One mission in The Lord of the Rings: War in the North has your party protecting the gates of Nordinbad from an onslaught of Orcs and Olog-hai. If the gate is destroyed, then you fail the mission without any chance to pick off the remaining enemies before they can actually pass through the gate.
- Shadows of the Empire has a level where you have to stop a swoop gang from reaching Luke Skywalker's hideout and killing him. You have to wreck every single swoop to succeed, or Luke dies, even if you reach Luke's hideout before they do.
- The original Rogue Squadron has a mission called "Liberation of Gerrard V", where you have to escort Gold Squadron's Y-Wings as they disable escaping starships. If you earn Gold Medals in all of the bonus missions, you get to fly your own Y-Wing and use its ion cannon to disable the starships faster. But if Gold Squadron's Y-Wings are all shot down, you aren't given a chance to finish their work anyway with your own Y-Wing.
Feedback: 19 replies