meticulousMorology on Aug 3rd 2017 at 3:35:11 AM
Last Edited By:
meticulousMorology on Sep 30th 2017 at 9:50:20 PM
Page Type: trope
In which a Love Triangle results in the two suitors, who had previously been competing over the same person, developing romantic feelings for each other instead.
At least one character in the love triangle needs to be gay or bisexual for this to work. For that reason, it's most commonly seen in works with lots of LGBT characters, such as fanfiction, new media, and the yaoi/yuri genre.
Anime and Manga
- In Cardcaptor Sakura, one of the initial sources of Syaoran's rivalry toward Sakura is that they both have crushes on Yukito. Once Syaoran realizes that he's more attracted to Yukito's moon-based magic than Yukito himself, he starts crushing on Sakura instead, and they end the series as the Official Couple.
- The Twist Ending of an arc of School Mermaid. Two girls go into the school at the same time to try to use the mermaid flesh to make the same boy fall for them. When dawn falls the only mermaid they killed has the wrong name, forcing both of them to cast the spell on each other instead. They instantly transform from hated enemies into a lovey-dovey couple.
- Implied in My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, in which both Yui Yuigahama and Yukino Yukinoshita are (secretly) in love with Hachiman Hikigaya, but the former has a close friendship with Yukino... too close for many of their close ones, at the point Hachiman once mistaken (with a purpose) her last name for "Yurigahama."
- In ×××HOLiC, Doumeki and Kohane are two of the many people interested in Watanuki. They're shown to be married after a Time Skip, although it's implied that they got together not out of love, but to have children who could continue Doumeki's family legacy and protect the now-immortal Watanuki.
- Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami: Desk Lady and the girl from the bus are both interested in Dark, but then have sex with each other. Subverted when the girl from the bus ends up with Dark in the end.
- Inverted in My Immortal: Vampire and Draco used to be a couple, but broke up and are now both in love with Ebony.
- In the Harry Potter fanfic The Red Knight, it's revealed that Violet Potter (fem!Harry) used to date Ron, who also had an affair with Hermione. After he betrayed them, leading to their deaths, they went back in time and became a lesbian couple.
- The premise of Plan B: Bruno tries to steal back his ex-girlfriend by seducing her bisexual new boyfriend, but instead starts to fall for the new boyfriend- Hilarity Ensues.
- When in Rome: Beth ends up with an Unwanted Harem as a result of a love spell gone wrong. After the spell is broken, two of her suitors are last seen flirting during Beth's wedding.
- Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is a dating sim game- if you pick the Gay Option your character can end up with his romantic rival.
- Gay love triangle version in Boy Meets Boy: Skids loves Mikhael, Tybalt tries to seduce Mikhael, and eventually Skids and Tybalt end up together.
- Attempted in Friendly Hostility: After his much-older girlfriend dumps him, Paolo hits on her ex-husband, Leslie, but Leslie turns him down, saying Paolo is just confused about what he wants.
- Homestuck has Dave and Karkat both competing for the attention of Terezi, with the subtext between them mostly Played for Laughs. After John's Cosmic Retcon, however, neither seem particularly interested in getting with Terezi and are heavily implied to have feelings for each other.
- In Korean yuri webcomic It'd Be Great If You Didn't Exist, the protagonist Guk-Hwa finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, and dumps him, only to end up in a romance with the other woman.
- While "romantic" is a bit of a stretch, In Ménage à 3 after Yuki and Sonya's disastrous competition for Gary's affection and after they also served as rivals for Zii, the two of them realize that they have more fun with their rivalry and have a long period where they just keep egging each other on for hate sex.
Feedback: 16 replies