foxley on Aug 24th 2018 at 6:07:01 PM
Last Edited By:
foxley on Sep 14th 2018 at 6:50:44 PM
Page Type: trope
Heroes often find themselves trapped. On closer inspection of their predicament, they discover there is a way out, but it is sealed with screws. Lacking proper tools, the hero is forced to improvise a screwdriver from materials at hand.
Coins and rings are popular choices, as these are common items that villains might not think to remove from a hero.
Compare Improvised Lockpick.
This can be Truth in Television.
- Toy Story 2: Woody unscrews the cover of an air vent by turning the screws with his bare hands—as a toy, he's small enough for that to work. Later, Stinky Pete uses his toy pickaxe to re-tighten those same screws, closing the cover to prevent Woody from leaving.
- In D-Tox, Malloy uses the Tragic Keepsake of his murdered fiancee's engagement ring to unscrew the bolts on a hatch cover when he gets locked up in the underground clinic.
- In Sahara (2005), Dirk Pitt uses the gold dollar as a screwdriver to detach the pickup truck bed from the back of the truck.
- In Starred Up, Eric creates a Sinister Shiv out of a toothbrush and a razorblade. The shiv doubles as a makeshift screwdriver, as he uses it to unscrew the light fitting in his cell in order to hide the weapon.
- Dirk Pitt Adventures: In Cyclops, Pitt uses the catch from his Doxa watch as a screwdriver to escape a cell.
Live Action TV
- MacGyver (1985): In "Last Stand", Mac and the Girl of the Week are literally Locked in a Freezer. Mac uses the tip of a meat hook as a screwdriver as part of his escape plan.
- Edna & Harvey: The Breakout has a puzzle in which Edna must learn to loosen screws with fingernail clippings.
- After Larry's death in The Walking Dead Season 1, Lee must search the corpse's pockets for some coins, which he can use as improvised screwdrivers to remove an air conditioner from the wall of the room they're locked in.
- In The Escapists, a plastic knife can be used as a makeshift screwdriver.
- In The Longest Journey, April has to unscrew a grating and uses the single Arcadian coin she has left to do it.
- Tribe Twelve: While working to swipe Karl's journal, Milo had to use one of his buttons to unscrew the box it was hiding in.
Feedback: 13 replies