Pichu-kun on Aug 28th 2017 at 8:39:49 AM
Last Edited By:
Pichu-kun on Dec 13th 2017 at 2:56:41 PM
Page Type: trope
Fan-animations are typically original animations. Some are based on other fanfics while others are music videos.
Fan-animations are usually ignored by publishers and creators, and they may be even encouraged or praised, but sometimes they're met with cease-and-desist orders. However, this usually only occurs when animators try to make a profit off of fan-animations or when they're too sexual.
- "MAP" refers to a "Multi-Animator Project". Not to be confused with a MEP, which is a similar term used by Fan Vidders. A "MAP" is an animation where several animators each do different parts.
- A "PMV" is a "Picture Music Video". Not to be confused with the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic's fandom's usage (Pony Music Video), which usually refers to Fan Vids. They're usually lumped in with fan-animations, however they don't actually include much, if any, actual animation. PMVs are commonly Lyric Videos.
- Some animesque fan-animations can also be considered Fanime, however the term "fanime" is usually used to describe original works done in an "anime" style.
- In Japan, there is a sort of fan-animation known as the "MAD" (which can also apply to Fanvids). MADs usually contain still-images instead of proper animations.
- Homestuck: The fandom has a lot of PMVs and fan-animations.
- Warrior Cats: Warriors fanfics are common, however fan-art and fan-animations are more popular. MAPs are the most common, however some artists do entire fan-animations on their own. Fan-animations for the other Erin Hunter works are extremely rare.
- Hamilton: Most are animations of the soundtrack.
- Gravity Falls: Most are of the PMV variety but animations also exist.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Bronies refer to them as "PMVs" (pony music videos, not to be confused with picture music videos), which is a term also used for Fan Vids.
- Furry Fandom: Most MAPs that aren't outright Warrior Cats related feature animal characters, either because the artist is a furry or because Furries Are Easier to Draw.
- Heathers: The fandom has a lot of animations based on the musical adaptation.
- Vocaloid: Almost all Vocaloid songs and animations are fan-creations.
- A fan-animation of the most popular Sonic the Comic arc was announced however hit Development Hell before it could finish. Only a small portion is known to exist.
- Warrior Cats:
- A Bluestar animation, mainly based on Bluestar's Prophecy, set to "Gravity of Love" by Enigma has been linked to by the Erins.
- SSS Warrior Cats is an animesque adaptation of the first book. It has also been linked to by Kate Cary (one of the Erins).
- Mirror Mirror - Bluestar's Story is a Bluestar MAP set to "Mirror Mirror" from RWBY.
- Bluestar's Little Pistol is unusual as it's done in a monochromic (with the occasional Splash of Color) sketchbook style. That's because it's actually a half-finished animation. It's a Bluestar based animatic set to "Little Pistol" by Mother Mother.
- Cinderpelt - Blame is a Cinderpelt and Cinderheart MAP set to "Blame" by Air Traffic Controller.
- Echo is an artsy Hollyleaf MAP set to an "Echo" cover by Juby Phonic.
- Buy The Stars is an Ivypool and Hollyleaf MAP set to the song "Buy The Stars" by Marina & the Diamonds.
- You is a MAP set to "You" by Keaton Henson.
- Centuries is a MAP about the Clan founders set to "Centuries" by Fallout Boy.
- Climb is one of the more profilic Warriors fan-animators. She's done a Leopardstar and Tigerstar tribute, a Mapleshade tribute, a Scourge tribute, and several others.
- As the name implies Lullaby for a Princess is a Warriors parody of the Friendship is Magic fan-song "Lullaby for a Princess". The MAP is about Snowfur and her sister Bluefur.
- Hide is a Nightcloud MAP set to "Hide" by Little May.
- A popular animatic of Squirrelflight and Ashfur set to "It Took Be My Surprise" by Maria Mena has caused many similar animatics featuring other fandoms or OCs.
- Lenstar Productions (known for the webtoon Mugman) occasionally makes fan animations. Sources he has used include The Simpsons, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Super Mario Bros..
- Lil Deuce Deuce's animated video for Beep Beep Im A Sheep fell short in minus8's eyes, so the song received a new Flash animation that pays homage to Tex Avery's Leggy Lamb, Shawn from Aardman Animation, Lammy Lamb from Parappa The Rapper, Dawn Bellwether from Zootopia, and many others.
- An animator at Disney created a Disney-styled storyboard for "Defying Gravity" from Wicked. They wished Disney would adapt it, however (assuming it gets out of Development Hell) Wicked is almost guaranteed to be a live action film by Universal. Though, not too soon later they kind of got their wish with Frozen.
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Spyro the Dragon:
- The Legend of Zelda: The Light of Courage is infamous within the fandom because many fans mistook it for an actual test animation for a really, really bad Zelda adaptation by DiC. It's actually a series of intentionally bad fan animations.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- "Lullaby for a Princess" is a FIM fan-song that was adapted into a fan-animation. It's a Grief Song about Celestia's feelings towards her sister Luna. It was animated before My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S4 E2 "Princess Twilight Sparkle – Part 2" officially depicted Celestia vs Nightmare Moon and thus isn't consistent with canon.
- Princess Trixie Sparkle is an audio fanfic with multiple musical numbers. Early episodes are little more than pictures moving around, however eventually Art Evolution took place and actual animations were created. Songs with animations include "Confrontation", "Sorrowful, Regretful", and a few others.
- Double Rainboom is a fan film where Rainbow Dash drinks an experimental potion of Twilight's, causing... problems. It also counts as one for The Powerpuff Girls.
- Friendship Is Magic Bitch is a series of joke shorts where an evil Celestia trolls ponies, curses a storm, and sends ponies (including her sister) to the moon.
- PONY.MOV is an alternate Black Comedy take on the characters. It spawned a Ask a Pony Ask Jappleack.
- Once Upon A Time In Canterlot is a short where Octavia beats up changelings during My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S2 E26 "A Canterlot Wedding – Part 2". It has a sequel/spinoff short, Guardian, where Derpy saves her daughters Dinky and Amethyst from changelings.
- Button's Adventures is the reason why background pony Buttons Mash is an Ensemble Darkhorse. It also created his equally popular fan-character mother. It however received a cease-and-desist from Hasbro, making it highly unlikely other shorts will ever come out.
- Smile is an animation where Pinkie brutally murders all her friends (and the entire world) while continuously smiling set to a remix of "Smile" from the show.
- Snowdrop is set prior to Nightmare Moon and features a Inspirationally Disadvantaged blind filly who is teased due to her disability.
- The Crystal Gems VS Yellow Diamond is a Steven Universe fananimatic about as long as an actual episode, about the Crystal Gems fighting Yellow Diamond.
Feedback: 9 replies