KZN02 on Jul 25th 2017 at 5:42:23 AM
Last Edited By:
KZN02 on Sep 4th 2017 at 11:41:18 AM
Page Type: trope
In shooter video games, inflicting body shots is usually how one kills targets, but some instances will encourage the player to be more precise in their aim for headshots and provide bonuses beyond Critical Hits. Note that this does not always does this require a headshot kill so long as the player can inflict a headshot on the target.
- Standard Status Effects
- Status Buff
- Score Multiplier
- If the target is a robot, shooting its head off may cause the headless body to attack indiscriminately, often hitting its fellow robots.
- Champions. The game has an optional Hit Location damage table. If a creature is hit in the head, it takes double Body damage. If the attack is a normal (non-killing) attack, the target takes double Stun damage. It the attack is a killing attack, the creature takes (5 x Body damage) Stun damage. If the Stun damage is higher than the target's Constitution they are Stunned, which prevents them from taking any actions and makes them more vulnerable to attack. If their Stun is reduced to zero or below, they fall unconscious.
- In Hitman: Blood Money, Agent 47 will enter a Slow Mo mode after running out of hitpoints. If he scores 3 headshots before he faints, he will revive and get immunity for a short period of time. He can use this ability only once per mission.
- Team Fortress 2
- The Sydney Sleeper can inflict jarate on nearby enemies by the target if the latter is hit with a headshot, in lieu of critical headshot damage.
- The Bazaar Bargain's charge speed increases for every successful scoped headshot, each increasing a head counter. Bodyshots and misses while scoped will decrease the counter. In addition, headshot kills will cause the target's head to be decapitated.
- The Hitman's Heatmaker has a focus meter that fills up by every kill with the weapon, triple the amount with headshots than bodyshots, kills with other weapons, or assists. The weapon also has a damage penalty on bodyshots to encourage aiming for headshots.
- In Mann vs Machine, the Explosive Headshot upgrade for the Sniper's sniper rifles will cause an explosion on headshot on a target to damage nearby robots.
- The earlier Virtua Cop games are probably the Ur-Example, with extra score for headshots and a specific count for them at the end of each game or level. Downgraded in the third game where they became less rewarded.
- The Dual Toxocyst gains increased fire rate, additional toxin damage, reduced recoil, and infinite ammo on headshot.
- The Knell gains increased critical damage and infinite ammo on headshot, with consecutive headshots resetting the duration and increasing the critical multiplier.
- Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.: Killing a Prowler with a shot to the head will leave bonus medals where the alien's body lands.
Feedback: 10 replies