KZN02 on Nov 18th 2017 at 10:58:36 AM
Last Edited By:
KZN02 on Nov 28th 2017 at 6:42:34 AM
Page Type: trope
Space and time can be described as fabric, so what better way to manipulate it than by cutting it? Usually a bladed weapon or claws are used for such a purpose, sometimes noted to be an Absurdly Sharp Blade.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the Dragon Ball Z movie, Fusion Reborn, Super Janemba uses his power to create a "Dimension Sword" which is capable of cutting through dimensions or creating portals.
- In Dragon Ball Super, Goku Black channels The Power of Hate to gain a power up, which turns his ki Laser Blade into a ki Sinister Scythe. He then uses said scythe to slice a hole in the fabric of reality, releasing an energy that creates clones of himself. When Vegeta asks how he did that, Black admits even he has no idea.
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse takes it even further, where the adaptation of the same scene has Black's scythe tear a rift in time, allowing the villains from other timelines to pour through the hole.
- YuYu Hakusho: Kuwabara's Dimension Sword is incredibly sharp, being able to theoretically cut anything, such as space and dimensions.
- Skull Knight's Sword of Actuation in Berserk is able to cleave holes in space , essentially a portable teleporter.
- In the anime adaptation of UQ Holder!, when Blind Swordsman Nagumo's men are routed he flees by cutting open a portal in space and jumping into it. Notably this was not present in the manga, where Nagumo owned a separate Teleportation device (and used it only as a weapon and mobility tool, considering death preferable to retreating).
- In Legion of Super-Heroes, the Persuader's Atomic Axe is so sharp it can cut through anything, including gravity and time.
- The Spike from Cool World punctures a hole in reality that allows Doctor Whiskers from the cartoon world to enter the real world of The '40s, and to abduct war veteran Frank Harris into the cartoon realm. Later, The Vamp Holli Would succeeds in crossing over, becoming fully human, but needs the Spike to sustain herself in that form.
- Slayers: One of Lina's strongest spells, Ragna Blade, creates a shaft of black lightning that can cut through anything, even if it's immune to normal magic. Among other things she's used it to attack beings hiding on the Astral Plane, and break out of a Pocket Dimension.
- Overlord: Touch Me's unique skill "World Break" is described as a Sword Beam that rends the fabric of space and time, allowing it to bypass all defenses. Likewise for "Reality Slash", a powerful but inefficient spell which produces a toned-down version of the same effect.
- His Dark Materials: The Subtle Knife, which can cut through anything, even "the fabric between worlds".
- Morgaine Cycle: Morgaine wields a crystal sword named "Changeling" that opens a rift in reality at its tip when unsheathed.
- In Discworld: Reaper Man, in preparing to fight the new Death of Men, Death (who is on a 10-Minute Retirement for the duration of the book) hones his new scythe so sharp it can cut the spaces between letters on the page.
Live Action TV
- In Once Upon a Time, with a sword infused with the magic of the savior and the blue fairy, Gideon is able to cut open a portal to the world that the black fairy is imprisoned in.
- In Kamen Rider OOO, the Medajalibur sword's finishing move results in the entire space behind the enemy being briefly split apart; the rest of the landscape repairs itself while the enemy explodes.
- In AdventureQuest, the Huntress's gauntlet, "The Gauntlet of the Ga'Lin" is capable of tearing holes through dimensions which she is able to traverse through.
- AdventureQuest Worlds:
- The "Yokai" questchain has Kitsune using the Hanzamune Dragon Koi Blade to cause a rip through dimensions to release O-dokuro from the Yokai Realm. Later the player steals it to seal the monster back in and tries to fight Kitsune with it, which inadvertently seals Kitsune in said other dimension.
- Xeven's Weapon of Choice are the Tachyon Blades, which can slice through space and time itself.
- Xiaolin Showdown: The Golden Tiger Claws is a claw tool that can create portals by slashing the air.
- Grim from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy can open up portals to the underworld or other dimensions by simply ripping thin air with his scythe.
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil:
- Dimensional Scissors can open up portals like how regular scissors can cut paper.
- Rasticore has a chainsaw that can open portals like dimensional scissors.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In "Make New Friends but Keep Discord", after growing increasingly irritated with the New-Age Retro Hippie Tree Hugger over the course of the episode, Discord raises his eagle claw, audibly sharpens it, and uses it to slice open a portal to another dimension to throw Tree Hugger into.
Feedback: 28 replies