Zerukin on Oct 27th 2018 at 4:54:17 PM
Last Edited By:
Pichu-kun on Nov 22nd 2018 at 3:49:26 PM
Page Type: trope
When most people do a Let's Play, they usually do it as themselves. No acting, no work of fiction. They are just playing a game and providing commentary on it. However, there are some people who decide to pretend to be somebody else for their let's play.
Not the characters in the game they are playing, but characters completely unrelated to the game. While a regular Let's Play is made as an entertaining walkthrough to the game, these kinds of Let's Plays are almost purely made for entertainment.
As such, these people will often goof around and pretending not to know how to play. Sometimes though, they will take gameplay seriously while keeping in character of whoever they are pretending to be. These kinds of Let's Plays don't finish the games they are playing very often with each game being played as a one shot. Some games do get played to completion like a normal Let's Play, but the focus is mostly to entertain by showing what it would be like if certain fictional characters played video games.
- Believe it or not, The Annoying Orange has a gaming channel which features the cast of the series playing games as their respective characters.
- On Das Sporking member Silais' sporks of Chrono Cross and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (the latter hosted on his own blog) are framed as if the games are being played by the casts of Neptunia and Breath of Fire respectively.
- Homestar Runner has the episode "Videlectrix - Halloween Waggle", where the two employees of the fictional company Videlectrix stumble their way through the Atari game Haunted House.
- Kizuna Ai is a virtual youtuber known for writing blogs and doing Let's Plays. Little to nothing is known about the team that created her and the person who provides her voice.
- Marik Plays Bloodlines, a spin-off of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, in which LittleKuriboh plays Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines in-character as Marik from Yu-Gi-Oh!, with occasional interjections from Bakura from the same.
- A YouTuber going by "The Nerd Gamer" is sporadically releasing episodes of a Republic: The Revolution LP, where he both plays and talks in-character as a suitably ideologized pro-Communist party leader the entire time.
- The Nostalgia Critic: In one episode, The Nostalgia Critic (In character, not as Doug Walker) decides to do a Let's Play of Bart's Nightmare after getting requests to do more video games.
- Stephen Georg's Ninten Speaks channelnote had a 55 episode "Ninten plays Minecraft" series.
- Two Best Friends Play was this in the early years. Their videos involved Matt and Pat playing exaggerated versions of themselves, with lots of scripted jokes and heavy editing. (And for some reason, they pretended to be Americans and tried to hide that they were actually Canadians.) After they started doing multi-episode, full game LP's, they dropped the fictional personas and just played as themselves.
- Two Saiyans Play: The franchise started with Takahata and Lanipator from Team Four Star as Nappa and Vegeta playing video games. It later had spin-offs with Lani also voicing Krillin and MasakoX voicing Goku.
- Vannamelon has a series of Let's Plays where she roleplays as Fluttershy from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
Feedback: 19 replies