Jubileus57 on Oct 21st 2017 at 6:38:20 AM
Last Edited By:
Jubileus57 on Oct 24th 2017 at 12:13:07 PM
Page Type: trope
One good way to recognize winter-themed musics is the presence of jingly sleigh bells (also known as jingle bells) in the soundtrack.
These little bells were first used on horse-drawn vehicles to warn bypassers about the arrival of the carriage and most importantly the sleighs (hence the name), as the vehicle would otherwise make no sound at all. The relation between these bells and sleighs might be the origin of this trope and is the premise of the most famous Christmas song of them all: Jingle Bells.
Incredibly common in Slippy-Slidey Ice World levels in video games, as well as in Christmas songs.
- The Christmas episode of Le Cur a ses Raisons has sleigh bells during the interludes between the "Christmas at the Montgomery's'' segments. The Christmas episode of "Medical Drama" also features sleigh bells each time Brett says the word "Christmas".
- A lot of Christmas songs use sleigh bells as a part of their instrumentation, with Jingle Bells as the prime example.
- Evoked in the opening of "Sleigh Ride" : "Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring-ting-tingling, too..."
- Sufjan Stevens not only uses sleigh bells on many songs from his Songs for Christmas box set, but also writes about them in the liner notes, mentioning that playing them properly isn't as easy as you'd think.
- Evoked in the Winter Wonderland song with the rhyme "Sleigh bells ring are you listening / In the lane snow is glistening".
- Animal Crossing
- Banjo-Kazooie has sleigh bells in all wintery themes.
- The frozen Forest Folly's track "Freezy Breezie" in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has some discrete sleigh bells ringing throughout the song.
- The Christmas level on Doodle Jump has sleigh bells playing in the background.
- Sleigh bells ring each time the player freezes a Zoog in Iggle Pop!.
- Kirby series:
- Frozen Hillside's track from Kirby Air Ride has a sleigh bell ring three times in the background before a Beat, followed by the bell ringing three more times.
- Most of the levels in the well-named Snow Land in Kirby's Epic Yarn have a soundtrack heavily featuring sleigh bells.
- Snowy Zone from Kirby Mass Attack has a beat made up of sleigh bell rings that have been cut in half to add to the song's pace.
- Snowball Scuffle, from Kirbys Return To Dreamland, as well as its remix from Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, makes sure to start off with sleigh bells to set the mood for the ice level.
- The Legend of Zelda:
- The ice theme of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures is a remix of the normal overworld thing with only one thing to differentiate it: sleigh bells, a staple of magical elf culture.
- The icy Anouki Village's theme from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks features jingle bells in some segments.
- Faint sleigh bells can be heard in the background of the Ice Ruins track from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
- The cheery theme played during the ice bowling minigame in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has upbeat sleigh bells.
- Several songs playing in the frozen Powdered Peaks in Miitopia feature sleigh bells.
- The beautiful music that plays in the icy Snowbelle City in Pokémon X and Y features a sleigh bells in at the beginning and the middle of the song.
- Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island: The obligatory ice world in this game was called Diamond Dust, and the Saturn and PC versions of the game had light, jingling bells as part of their soundtrack.
- The Atlantis Deep-Sea Cruise is a polar fishing spot in the Streetpass Mii Plaza game Ultimate Angler, and its music features discrete jingle bells in the background.
- Used very often in the Super Mario Bros. franchise:
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker frosty levels have a wintery remix of the game's main theme featuring sleigh bells. The opening segment of Blizzard on the Snow Express's track features some sleigh bells as well.
- The depressing theme from the destroyed, Christmas-themed Hollijolli Village from Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time features sleigh bells.
- The theme for the frozen Frappe Snowland and Sherbet Land from Mario Kart 64 has sleigh bells throughout the entire track.
- The Mario Kart 8 remix of the GCN Sherbet Land racetrack has joyful sleigh bells ringing rythmically through the song.
- The theme that plays on the Chilly Waters board in Mario Party 3 has sleigh bells ringing throughout the entire song.
- Basically every snow-related track from the New Super Mario Bros. series have sleigh bells.
- Fahr Outpost's theme in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door features extremely prominent sleigh bells.
- So do most of the musics playing during the icy World 4 in Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
- Snow Land, from Super Mario 3D Land and its remix from Super Mario 3D World are very upbeat wintery tracks, and sleigh bells are the only percussions than are used.
- Freezy Flake Galaxy's theme from Super Mario Galaxy 2 has sleigh bells making sporadic appearances throughout the song.
- The Christmas theme from Tomodachi Life is punctuated by sleigh bells.
- Sleigh bells are used in both the Snowball Fight theme and the Core Luge theme from the Wii Fit series, since both activities are heavily related to winter and ice.
- Yoshi's Woolly Worlds A Little Light Snowfall, as well as the frozen World 5's map theme both are rythmed by jingle bells.
Feedback: 18 replies