CelestiaCadenceLuna on Jan 10th 2018 at 10:00:08 PM
Last Edited By:
CelestiaCadenceLuna on Jan 17th 2018 at 6:52:15 AM
Page Type: trope
"Many ranks, awards, or other achievements in life have traditionally been reserved for people of a privileged gender, race, or other such category. This trope is about characters from a non-favoured group who break through such "ceilings" - for example, the first woman to join a previously all-male military unit, or the only black guy on the town council. If they've already achieved their feat, it can be used to characterise them as tough, determined, and/or ambitious (depending on what they achieved and how they did it). If they're still aspiring, it can be used to give them motivation and drive the plot..."
How much the ceiling breaks can vary, from a small crack where the bump itself took place, to a head-shape hole, to the ceiling being completely demolished.
- In Ms. Marvel (2014), Kamala bumps her head in the ceiling when she grows to giant size for the first time.
- In Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Alice bumps her head in the ceiling when she grows in both the Hallway of Doors and in the White Rabbit's House.
- In one of the Sorcery! books from the Fighting Fantasy gamebook franchises, if you tried to summon a giant in a cramped cave (the spell caused the giant to grow from a giant's tooth thrown on the ground) the giant would be summoned but as it reached near it's full height it would hit it's head on the ceiling and collapse, knocked out, then vanish some time later.
- In the 1993 version of Attack Ofthe 50 Foot Woman, Nancy breaks the ceiling of the first floor of her house when she grows to giant size.
- In Monsters vs. Aliens, Susan breaks the celing of the church with her last growth spurt.
- In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), Shredder bumps his head on the ceiling of the Technodrome when he gets hit with Krang's growth ray. Later, after Irma gets hit by the same ray, she bumps her head in the ceiling of a room of the Channel 6 building when she starts growing.
- In The 7D, Hildy breaks the ceiling of her castle with her last growth spurt.
Feedback: 17 replies