Omeganian on Nov 16th 2017 at 7:58:35 AM
Last Edited By:
Omeganian on Dec 29th 2018 at 6:31:40 AM
Page Type: trope
A logical way to establish a strong connection between two fandoms. Just have two characters be related. A lost child, a distant cousin...
The trope isn't necessarily about individuals. A good way to explain humans in some distant system or galaxy is to have them as a Lost Colony of Earth. Can be a lot more plausible than pure chance.
Compare Crossover Ship
- In Daken: Dark Wolverine, Daken's evil ex-boyfriend turns out to have been an Honorary Uncle of Chase Stein of the Runaways, giving Daken an excuse to recruit the Runaways in order to help take him down.
- All-Star Squadron established that Starman (a Golden Age DC character) and Phantom Lady (a Golden Age Quality character that was later acquired by DC) were cousins.
- Child of the Storm has Harry as Thor's son and Jean Grey's cousin.
- Mutant Storm starts with Harry finding out Jean Grey is his mother's twin sister and going to live with her and Cyclops
- Conquest ends with the revelation that the Star Wars humanity is a Federation Lost Colony (a heavily damaged Enterprise made an emergency landing on prehistoric Coruscant).
- Harry Potter And The Invincible Technomage. Harry being adopted by Tony Stark might not count, but then we find out Viktor Krum's godfather is a certain Viktor Von Doom...
- A possible case in The Swarm of War, where it is strongly implied that the Tyranids are the descendants of another Zerg group which got sucked into Warhammer 40,000 universe in the same incident, but into another time and place.
- In crossovers between X-COM and Mass Effect, it is common to make Chryssalids descendants of Rachni. Less commonly, Mutons are related to Krogan.
- Full House: DJ's friend Julie turns out to be the cousin of Steve Urkel from Family Matters. However, this was the only time Julie appeared on the show, so she wasn't an established character to begin with and was only there to set up the crossover.
- The writers of Psych planned to have a crossover with Leverage with the reveal that Shawn and Henry were related to Elliott. (All three have the last name Spencer.) But then it was established that Leverage existed as a show in the Psych universe and those plans were abandoned.
Feedback: 20 replies