WiseMan23753 on Jan 8th 2019 at 9:05:42 AM
Last Edited By:
Arivne on Jan 10th 2019 at 10:06:55 PM
Page Type: trope
If you want a job done right, do it yourself.
Something that the Evil Overlord List would agree most of all is not to rely on barking orders at your subordinates. Sometimes, they may too stupid or too incompetent to do anything. Or rather that kind of barking intimidates them so much that they can't do anything over the fear of what will happen. Overall, work from your subordinates are way too slow, so the Evil Overlord does things by his own hands instead.
The trope can be used when the Big Bad is above his minions in both power and competence. Though it does bring up the question why he waits until now to do things himself.
This can be a buildup to a Final Boss, if the Big Bad is one. Contrast Non-Action Big Bad and Orcus on His Throne, when the Big Bad remains on his chair and lets all his subordinates do the work for him. Compare It's Personal, which can be a motivation for this trope.
- Full Metal Panic!
- After the loss of Gauron and Gates, Amaglam takes matters with Mithril more seriously. Their first response is both occupying Merida Island while Leonard, who has been sitting out much of the first few arc, personally trashes the Arbalest and retrieves Kaname, something they continuously failed until now.
- Found in both Big Bad Wannabe villains in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED:
- Azrael suffers a mutiny by Nartele, who locks him up in the command bridge during a critical battle with the Archangel. Therefore, he personally operates his flagship's weapons. If it wasn't for Mu La Flaga's intervention, he might have won.
- Patrick Zala likewise ends up having many soldiers questioning his orders to fire GENESIS at Earth, especially since they already won the battle (and probably the whole war). He ends up shooting a soldier for questioning his orders and operates the controls himself, despite being warned that he will destroy his own forces as a result.
- Sailor Moon Crystal
- Queen Beryl, who spent much of her time sitting back in the manga and anime, gets off her throne for once in the middle of the Dark Kingdom arc. She successfully defeats Tuxedo Mask and retrieves him the first time. However, she second time she does so, she's defeated long before the Shitennou do.
Film - Live Action
- At the climax of the movie, Recess: School's Out, the Big Bad gets impatient with his understandably timid scientists to the point he knocks one away to engage the tractor beam himself.
- Ratchet & Clank
- In the first game, Qwark and Drek do this as part of their boss fights. The former sends his pet creature the first time, and during his boss fight, he sends out a squadron of fighters to attack Ratchet. After they get destroyed, he says it word for word that if he wants to finish the job to defeatiing Ratchet, he'll have to do it himself. The latter has him personally press the button for the Deplanetizer aimed at Ratchet's planet, additionally armed with a large robot to confront the duo.
- The third game has Dr. Nefarious, who relies on his minions, including his butler Lawrence (much to his annoyance). When even he is absent in a crucial moment against the duo, Nefarious decides he will just fight them himself.
- Happens in both the Brotherhood and the Ronin arcs in Saints Row 2. The Brotherhood leader Maero holds back his retribution against the Saints even after they scar him with radioactive tattoo ink, but after they kill his girlfriend and maim his Best Friend, he goes out of his way to destroy them. The Ronin arc, meanwhile, has Kazuo Akuji, the Ronin overboss, fly over from Japan to personally deal with the troubles his American branch is having with the Saints (in a subversion, he does an even worse job of it than his US-based underlings, due to lacking all cultural context).
- Starcraft II Wings Of Liberty
- When invading Char, Kerrigan finally has it with relying on her minions and personally goes after the Terrans to retrieve the Xelnaga artifact.
- As part of the Evil Overlord List 101: "I will not order my trusted lieutenant to kill the infant who is destined to overthrow me - I'll do it myself."
Feedback: 15 replies