Pichu-kun on Feb 25th 2018 at 12:15:14 AM
Last Edited By:
Pichu-kun on Dec 14th 2018 at 8:29:39 AM
Page Type: trope
A well-known remedy for being sprayed by a skunk is to take a bath in tomato juice. Tomato paste, tomato sauce, or just tomatoes themselves are also an alternative. In fiction, whenever a character is sprayed by a Smelly Skunk they'll be forced to take a bath in tomato juice.
In real life, however, this remedy doesn't actually work. At most tomato juice will mask the scent of a skunk, not get rid of it. There are better remedies out there than dousing yourself in tomatoes.
- A Dog's Purpose: Bailey comes across a skunk while wandering in the woods. He doesn't know what it is, goes to investigate, and ends up sprayed. His owners are forced to bathe him in tomato juice and he isn't let in the house for a few days. Unfortunately, Bailey didn't correlate the smell with the skunk and tries to get near her a second time. After one more tomato bath he figures out that maybe he should avoid skunks.
- Animorphs: One book sees Visser Three get skunked. The Visser has them cornered, but Ax points out that the smell is going to linger, and that returning to his spaceship (an environment not known for being easy to air out by opening a window) will only transfer the smell and require a weeks-long cleaning at a major space station. The Visser lets them go in exchange for the secret, and the book ends with Tobias reporting the Visser is now a lovely shade of purple, and the Animorphs musing that they should maybe have told him he should bathe in tomato juice, not grape.
- In the Fudge book Superfudge, Turtle the dog gets sprayed by a skunk, and Mr. Tubman, Shiela's grandfather, is the first to suggest making him bathe in tomato juice.
- Fuller House: Stephanie, Tommy and Max have to bathe themselves in tomato juice when a Skunk ends up getting loose in the Harmon Veterinary.
- One of various myths tested by the Mythbusters. The result: the smell of the sauce masked the stench, but didn't got of it completely (a better solution was to wash the sprayed part thoroughly with commercial cleaners, preferably those with an oxygen solution).
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: In the episode "Winter Wrap Up", while waking up the animals from their hibernation, Twilight Sparkle gets sprayed by an entire family of skunks, and later she is shown taking a bath into a tub filled with tomato juice.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: One of the various shorts had Elmyra wanting to capture Fifi La Fume because she mistook her for a cat, but Fifi's strong stench was a powerful deterrent. So Elmyra doused her with tomato sauce to get rid of the smell so she could cuddle Fifi. Fifi eventually was able to wash off the sauce and tried to fight back... but unfortunately the an allergic reaction to flowers left Elmyra unable to smell anything, so she just continued to chase after Fifi.
- In Total Drama Action, the episode "Dial M For Merger" has the gang needing to each diffuse a trash can stink bomb. They are unsuccessful and then next scene has them bathing in tomato juice to get rid of the scent.
- Discussed in the Rugrats episode, "Chuckie Gets Skunked". After Chuckie gets skunked, Chas tries everything to get rid of the smell. When Didi asks him if he gave Chuckie a bath in tomato juice, Chas tells her he tried it, but it didn't get rid of the smell and instead permanently stained the bathtub. Stu then tells Chas that it's better to use tomato paste, but Chas tells him he tried that too; it didn't get rid of the smell and instead gunked up the bathtub drain.
- In the Regular Show episode "Skunked", Rigby gets sprayed by a were-skunk and will turn into one unless he can get rid of the smell. Naturally, the solution is tomato paste.
- In one episode of Curious George, the titular monkey comes across a skunk. He goes close to it to study it and gets sprayed. The Man with the Yellow Hat gives him a bath of tomato juice. This happens multiple times throughout the episode, the man remarking that he's down to his last bottle.
- In the Bojack Horseman episode "BoJack Kills", Todd and Mr. Peanutbutter get sprayed by a skunk. Guess what they bathe in to get rid of the smell.
Feedback: 28 replies