catstuxedo on Mar 30th 2016 at 5:04:57 PM
Last Edited By:
ErebusElysium on Nov 9th 2016 at 5:46:05 PM
Page Type: trope
A character who never blinks or ceases blinking for a particular extended period. A relatively subtle way of invoking an Uncanny Valley effect, usually to enhance a character's creepy, inhuman or evil nature.
- David in A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. This aspect of the character was suggested to Steven Spielberg by Haley Joel Osment to add to his character's robotic nature.
- Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins - ZCE
- Ben Linus in Lost has a very low blinking rate, though according to actor Michael Emerson, this wasn't enforced consciously. - ZCE (how is he creepy/inhuman/evil?)
- Large Marge in Pee-wee's Big Adventure never blinks for the entirety of the one scene she appears in, which flourishes her status as a creepy undead truck driver.
- Lloyd, the ghostly bartender who magically appears before Jack in The Shining, never blinks as a hint toward his corporeally-challenged state.
- Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace of the villainous variety.
- The T-800 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day is a robotic yet ultimately heroic example.
- Lady Kesa, the Lady Macbeth figure in Akira Kurosawa's Macbeth adaptation Throne of Blood, never blinks. This adds to her creepiness as she urges her husband on to murder.
- While Judge Doom of Who Framed Roger Rabbit wears dark glasses nearly all the time, Christopher Lloyd decided to not blink in shots where his eyes are visible. This is a clue to his true nature as a Toon in disguise.
- "Ninja" Brian Wecht from Ninja Sex Party and Game Grumps is known for this. For example, he once ate a hot pepper and stared at the camera for more than 3 minutes without blinking once! ("Ninja Brian only blinks when you do.")
- The titular characters of Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure are a more benign example; the trope here is used to highlight the fact that the characters are dolls.
- In the first episode of Gravity Falls, Dipper claimed that Mabel's new boyfriend Norman "never blinks". He eventually comes to the conclusion that he is a zombie only to be proven wrong when he was revealed to be a bunch of gnomes instead.
Feedback: 10 replies