When Kochanski leads the rest of the Dwarferz to forsake Kryten's long-planned surprise party celebrating the anniversary of his rescue from the Nova V, it finally pushes the mechanoid over his limits and his head literally bursts with anger. Trying to bargain with a simulant for replacement parts, Kryten winds up meeting his drug-addled brother, Abel, and learning some dark secrets about the Kryten series' origins.
This episode contains examples of:
- Angst Nuke: Downplayed and played for laughs, but when Kryten's nega-drive is overfilled, his head literally explodes like a bomb has gone off in it whenever he tries to process it.
- Berserk Button: If you blow off Kryren's dinner to play a VR game, he'll drag you out. With a tank.
- "You want ketchup?! With lobster?!" *Your Head Asplode*
- Deadpan Snarker:
Kryten: Yes, sir, you're well known for your love on penetrating 18th century novels on working class women. I mean, just because you have a shirt advertising the rock band "Colostomy Explosion" doesn't mean you're not a master of erudition.
- A sign of Kryten's problems with the negadrive is his unleashing weapon-grade snark on Lister.
Kochanski: If I told that at a navigation conference, everyone would be in the aisles.Lister: Probably trying to escape before you made another joke.
- Lister gets in a dig on Kochanski after her terrible attempt at a pun.
The Cat: Life without a head? What could he do?Lister: Apart from being you, nothing.
- And another at the Cat's expense.
- The Ditz: The Cat in on fine form in this episode. Not noticing or bothering to placate an obviously tetchy Kryten, moaning about his head exploding, being absolutely no help identifying the Centauri's century of origin, giving away the fact he speaks English to the Simulant...
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Kryten's spare heads, previously shown to have their own personalities, are destroyed off-screen trying to figure out what's wrong with Kryten.
- Gag Penis: Invoked by Lister on Dr. Mammet's fiancé, if the 4000 series are designed to look like him, then having seen Kryten's groinal attachment, that would explain the reason she took it so bad.
- Hypocritical Humor: In the episode's opening, Lister asserts he will never eat Space Weevil, when he ate one and loved it several seasons back.
- No Sympathy: The Cat's only reaction to Kryten's head exploding? Scolding Lister that they'll have to clean it up now.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Lister asking for ketchup with his lobster is the final straw that detonates Kryten's nega-drive.
- Retcon: Kryten mentions off-handedly he killed the Nova 5 crew, something that's not come up before, but was a part of Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers (which explained Kryten caused the ship crash by washing the computers with soapy water).
- Tank Goodness: Kryten borrows one from the WW2 simulation in order to make it absolutely clear supper is ready.
- They're Called Personal Issues for a Reason: Kryten's "Dark Secret" turns out to be that the Series 4000 mechanoids were all made as negative caricatures of the man their line's creator was going to marry, until he dumped her the day before their wedding, a "a pompous, ridiculous-looking, mother-hen clucking, irascible buffoon", in Kryten's own words. As part of the joke, they were outfitted with nega-drives, where they would bottle up their negative emotions until they ultimately exploded.
- Understatement: Able explains what happened.Able: The ship I was on, it kinda crashed a bit.Kryten: "Crashed a bit?"
- Your Head Asplode: "Ketchup? With lobster? Are you..."*KABOOM!*