After the success of The Haiba Mystery, author Anthony Barletta (ThatPersonYouMightKnow) decided to continue it with a longer series chronicling the further adventures of Detective TPYMK, alongside a sassy drug-addicted lioness named Sarafina.
Poison's first series lasted 13 stories, and the second series contained another 13.
Poison provides examples of:
- Big Bad: Death in the first series, and Zira in the second.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sarafina, oh so very much.
Moto: I'm saying nothing until my lawyer gets here.Bora: You don't have a lawyer.Moto: Well, we'll be waiting for a while, then.
- Bora in the second series.
- Even Moto gets a moment:
- Distaff Counterpart: Sarafina is basically a female Jesse Pinkman.
- Drugs Are Bad: One of the main themes of the series.
- Fake Defector: Sarafina pulls this off in the first series. Notable in that nobody, including the reader, knew about this plan beforehand.
- Hates Baths / The Pig Pen: Moto and (at first) Sarafina.
- To elaborate, Moto basically doesn't bathe at all (at one point, it's implied he's gone several weeks without one at the very least), but Sarafina is forced to take one by TPYMK when they first meet. He forces her to stand against a wall as he sprays her with a hose to clean her off, and she panics, begging him to stop.
- Heel Realization: Sarafina realizes just how vile the Sumu trade really is after Moto reveals how he became hooked on drugs, as well as after dealing Sumu to a pair of cubs.
- Sir Swearsalot: Bora.
- Spin-Off: Of The Lion King Adventures,.
- The Cameo: Mufasa appears as a doctor.
- The Teetotaler: TPYMK doesn't drink alcohol, but rather chocolate milk.
- Uncleanliness Is Next to Ungodliness: Moto is the embodiment of this trope.