open/close all folders
Rachel Gardner (Ray)
Voiced by: Haruka Chisuga (Japanese), Meg Mc Clain (English)
- Abusive Parents: Was subjected to this before coming to the tower.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has been involved in the indirect deaths of her parents, whom were neglectful and treated her with little to no consideration. Then when she witnessed the death of her mother at the hands of her father, he tries to kill her too, until Rachel takes a gun and kills him out of self-defense. Rachel has been through a lot.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as much as Zack, but she does show shades of this when dealing with his attitude and the other wards in the Tower.
- Death Seeker: Ray, Ray, Ray; it's her main motivation. After killing her father out of self defense, she was so out of it and wanted to die believing that God will never accept her into heaven. It's telling that when she remembers the circumstances of how she got into the facility, she asked Zack to kill her in exchange of letting him escape.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: After her confrontation with Danny.
- Emotionless Girl: She becomes emotionless after she remembers her parent's death.
- Establishing Character Moment: For the first couple of minutes of the game, Rachel just seems like a normal but quiet teenager. And then she sews a bird back together before giving it a proper burial. Not only does it show she’s more unhinged than she looks, but it’s also eerily Foreshadowing her past.
- The Hero Dies: It's implied by the ending that Zack fulfilled his promise to her.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: One of her motivations for killing her parents, the other being self-defense. She thought if she could kill them and sew them together she could have a "proper family".
- Prayer Pose: In the anime, Rachel folds her hands in prayer when she’s feeling afraid and trying to calm herself. She also makes this pose when she asks Zack to kill her.
- Morality Pet: Eventually becomes this to Zack.
- Only I Can Kill Him: In her floor, Ray shoots Danny when he tried to kill Zack, implying that she'll be the one to kill him.
- The Stoic: Her default personality.
- Not So Stoic: As the story goes by, it becomes more explicit that she's very mentally unstable. It gets to the point where she tries to kill Zack on her floor.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: She is able to use a gun despite how young she is, and later having moments where she is not hesitant to kill anyone who tries to harm Zack
- Her Establishing Character Moment is sewing two halves of a dead bird back together. Something she did twice in her past. First patching up a dead puppy she wanted to befriend, and then sewing her parents’ corpses together. That way they could all be a perfect family.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Danny at least thinks that her Dull Eyes of Unhappiness are beautiful.
Isaac Foster (Zack)
Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Japanese), Dallas Reid (English)
- A God I Am Not: To Ray, on B1, when she asks him if he still wants to be her God, after he learns her backstory.
- Ax-Crazy: To say this guy loves killing is an understatement.
- Berserk Button - He dislikes many things, but he despises liars the most. Even going as far as to say that he never lies.
- Big Brother Instinct: Despite vowing to kill Ray, there are signs that he develops a soft spot for her.
- Body Horror: The reason he's wearing all of those bandages was because a man that's implied to be his father attempted to burn him alive. He received horrible burns scars all over his body as a result.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He’s pretty vicious but after his time spent with Rachel, later shows he has his own set of values that ultimately put him on a different level compared to his other colleagues that's not as corrupted.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Dear Jesus. First, a man (possibly his father) tried to burn him alive. Afterwards, his mother sent him to an illegal orphanage, where he spent much of his childhood being abused and neglected by the wardens. He eventually snapped and killed the wardens before fleeing.
- Determinator: Say what you want about him but he's adamant when it comes to his promises. Getting electrocuted, poisoned, stabbed, shot, or burned won't be enough to kill him.
- Dumb Muscle: Illiterate and not very bright, but he's monstrously strong.
- Even Evil Has Standards: In a way. While he enjoys killing, he doesn't like killing someone who looked dead and rather prefer to see them die with a look of despair than dead.
- He also hates liars with a burning passion.
- Evil Laugh: His trademark expression of whenever he’s about to go on a rampage and wreak havoc.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It takes little to set him off, but given his personality it’s not surprising.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: When standing next to Rachel, he easily towers over her by a few feet.
- I Gave My Word: When Zack promised to kill Ray after getting out of the facility, he really means it, as in the ending of the game, he scaled through the hospital Ray is kept in to fulfill his promise to her.
- Laughing Mad: Especially in the anime, he has a very distinct laugh that borders on psychotic breakdown and homicidal glee.
- Leitmotif: Danger Zone Zack's main theme that plays whenever he is on a rampage.
- Mismatched Eyes: Has two different colored eyes, a condition known as Aniscoria, speculated that it was caused by his abusive past.
- Never Learned to Read: Probably because the terrible conditions of the orphanage we was in.
- Only I Can Kill Her: Is this to Rachel, since that he's aware that he'll never be able to escape from that building alone.
- Sinister Scythe: His weapon of choice, he’s always seen carrying it around. Until later on when Rachel has to borrow it.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Half the stuff that comes of of his mouth will have a swear, curse, or exclamation to match his mood.
- Waterfall Puke: Happens in the anime, when Rachel asks Zack to kill her. He vomits in rainbow colors.
- Would Hurt a Child: Not only Zack tries to kill Rachel in the begining of the story, is implied that he really did it at the end of the game. Zack also kills Eddie.
- Would Hit a Girl: He has no problem killing women. He once killed a woman who lied to him in the past.
Daniel Dickens (Danny)
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Derick Snow (English)
- Abusive Parents: His mother was implied to be of the mental variety.
- Beware the Nice Ones: At first he seems polite and considerate, but as time passes it's plain to see that he’s not what he appears to be.
- Eye Scream: Danny was born with only one eye.
- Deadly Doctor
- Freudian Excuse: The reason for his questionable behavior around Ray is she has eyes just like his mother's, which were blue and dull. She committed suicide when he was a child due to him only having one eye. Because of this incident, he has felt lonely, and believed that by bringing Ray to the tower, he wouldn't feel lonely anymore.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Does this to Rachel in the game and anime where he’s caught her trying to escape and is about to perform an experiment to remove her eyes until he notices her change.
- Insistent Terminology: "Peepers" in the English version of both game and manga.
- Mad Doctor: Danny's a therapist, but there is clearly something wrong with him.
- Mad Love: He first fell for Rachel when he met her and saw her blue eyes for the first time. Which reminded him of his mother’s dead eyes.
- Maniac Tongue: When his true colors are revealed, his expression changes and he has a an elongated tongue sticking out of his mouth to show how far gone he is.
- Not Quite Dead: Even after Zack cut him down, Danny repeatedly makes his appearance throughout the game's events.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: For some reason, one of his glass eyes has both a red and green iris on it. He's also insane.
- Slasher Smile: This is shown after he has captured Rachel, and shows a much more sinister side to his reasons for “helping” her.
- Wham Line: "You see, this... is my floor."
Edward Mason (Eddie)
Voiced by: Natsumi Fujiwara
- Alas, Poor Villain: Despite his desire to kill Rachel and antagonizing Zack repeatedly, his final moments in the anime made him more pitiable and sad.
- All Love Is Unrequited: His feelings for Rachel aren't reciprocated since she will only allow Zack to kill her, and the fact that he wants to bury her as a sign of his "love" makes the whole thing questionable.
- Ax-Crazy: When he decided to kill Rachel despite her rejecting his proposal, his insanity shows why he’s a resident in the Tower.
- Blood from the Mouth: After Zack deals the final blow, this happens to him as he’s dying.
- Creepy Child: Even before coming to the tower, he was shown to be a very troubled and unstable child.
- Cute and Psycho: At first appears to be a cheerful and talkative child but comes off as unsettling due to his job as the Tower’s grave-keeper and his unhealthy infatuation with Rachel.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Grew up in a large family where his hard work as a grave-digger was overlooked in favor of his brothers. But it started worsening when he was the one who was made to bury the pets in the family, making him see that the only way he could have anything was if he could bury them and call it his own. He started killing animals he liked and burying them, which eventually moved onto people.
- Dying Declaration of Love: He confessed his love to Rachel before he succumb his wounds he received from Zack.
- Family Business: In the manga, Eddie's backstory is expanded upon when it goes into how he was in a family of grave-keepers.
- Friend to All Living Things: In the past has shown a love for animals that showed he wasn’t always scary or hostile. Until he decided he wanted to keep what belonged to him by killing and burying them.
- Flower Motif: Red Poppies. note
- He leaves these flowers for Rachel to find with his letters in the anime.
- Giggling Villain: Likes to laugh while following Rachel and when he's mocking Zack for being so violent and brutish.
- Green Eyes: When he's being emotional, his mask will reveal that he has this color for his eyes.
- Karmic Death: Dies by Zack’s hand and buried by having a giant gravestone dropped on top of him.
- Leitmotif: Unfathomable Situation Eddie's theme.
- Love at First Sight: Claims to have this happened to him when he sees Rachel for the first time.
- Malevolent Masked Men: Is always seen wearing a helmet that masks his entire face. At least in the game. While his face is show in the manga and anime.
- Middle Child Syndrome: In the manga he is shown to be the 3rd oldest child in a family with four sons. He expresses discontent at having to be one when he’s only given hand-me-downs by his older brothers and has to give up his own belongings to the youngest. Also knew that his family would never allow him to take over their grave-digging business, no matter how good he was because he wasn’t the eldest.
- Offscreen Teleportation: Has this ability while when fighting against Zack and following Rachel on his floor. But that's mostly because he can move around in the dark easily without his vision impaired.
- Puppy Love: He is head over heels in love with Rachel. Which is not a good thing.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Wears a red scarf at all times throughout his appearance.
- Shovel Strike: His main weapon as well as his tool as a grave-digger.
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head: In the anime, he’s revealed to be this when Zack attacks and unmasks him before killing him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Toward Rachel.
- Tender Tears: Cries in frustration when Rachel refuses to let him kill her and doesn’t understand why she chose Zack over him.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: He wants to kill Rachel, like all the floor masters in the building. He also started killing his pets and a childhood friend, just to put them under his graves.
- The Unreveal: In the game, you never see what’s under the mask. Averted in the manga and anime.
- Villainous Crush: Has one for Rachel. in the manga he met a young girl he liked but killed her in order to keep her from ‘being taken from him’.
- Weak, but Skilled: His strength is dwarfed when compared to Zack’s but he makes use of his floor by being able to see in the dark and able to dodge with his agility and can use his shovel as an improvised weapon.
- Yandere: Has an obsession with Rachel and watched her from the cameras for a while. He even made a grave for her long before the two of them actually met!
- Youthful Freckles: Shown in the manga. He’s embarrassed to show them or his red hair to anyone, worrying he’ll be made fun for it.
Catherine Ward (Cathy)
Voiced by: Mariya Ise
- The Ace: When she was younger. She was a popular queen bee type with the money, looks, and smarts to back it up. However, even then there was something really off about her.
- Annoying Laugh: Cathy's shrill laughter is one of her defining traits. This laughter in the anime is lower-pitched and sounds more like a deranged Noblewoman's Laugh.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Has a feminine appearance that counteracts her wild and unstable attitude towards any she deems a 'sinner'.
- Childhood Friend: Her backstory in the manga is presented from the point of view of a girl named Lucy who Cathy knew from childhood and was utterly obsessed with her. They even became prison wardens together at the same institution and Lucy committed any punishment Cathy asked of her. Sadly for Lucy, Cathy had no qualms about also punishing her for her sins.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Her parents were both doctors and apparently loved her and spoiled her, up until they were murdered by a relative of failed patient. Averted in that Cathy is showed to not be affected by their death and still acts the same. Though it can be argued that she was just really good at internalizing it and her obssssion with punishing sinners stems from wanting to punish her parents’ killed.
- Fair-Play Villain: Gives Zack and Rachel the option of escaping a gas-chambered room by allowing them to use a key card to open the door. Until Zack accidentally breaks it in a fit of anger.
- Leitmotif: The Garden of Roses Cathy's theme that plays whenever she makes an appearance.
- Two Girl Romantic Friendship: The manga shows that this is what her Childhood Friend Lucy wanted with her. It was completely one-sided.
- Would Hurt a Child: Cathy not only slapped Ray after Zack stab's himself, she also shoots her hand.
Abraham Gray (Gray)
Voiced by: Hochu Otsuka
- A God Am I: Downplayed. The whole reason the Tower exists is because he wanted to be "God's eyes on Earth" and judge those that come to the Tower.
- Sinister Minister: Downplayed. While judgmental, he's actually very cordial to Ray. He's also the only person in the Tower who isn't trying to kill her. Still, he has a lot of skill with a bow.
- Walking Spoiler: He's the reason the Tower exists.