Better than they say it is.
I got this game on Gamestop store credit, and because it's an obvious cash-in, I wasn't expecting a great game. If not for the pre-order bonus I'd have waited, read the reviews, and probably never played it. I'm so glad I did. I'm not great at organizing my thoughts, so I'll just list the pros and cons in detail.
- The zombies are perfect. They behave precisely as they do in the show, and only occasionally have glitchy moments. Their animation and models look awesome. Especially
when they get in your face.
- Fighting is fun. Headshots, particularly the ones where their heads remain mostly intact, are surprisingly satisfying. It also has Far Cry 3 style takedowns, always good. Once the crossbow is introduced, it becomes truly amazing.
- You're able to use stealth most of the time.
- Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker both voice their characters. Enough said.
- It is
- Other survivors, and Merle especially, don't play a large enough role at all
- Activision, being Activision, is charging for DLC I've heard is already on the disc.
- Everyone is complaining about the graphics, and to be totally honest, I don't get it. It looks pretty good to me. Daryl looks a little unfinished, but that's all I've really noticed.
- I wish the crossbow was introduced earlier. Luckily, completing the game once gives you the option of starting again with it equipped from the start.
So, in closing, it's exactly my title. If you like the show, you'll probably like the game. I, personally, loved it. If you want to be cautious, just give it a rental. While the reviewers have torn it to shreds, I feel like many of their complaints aren't quite justified. Probably not worth the $50 due to its short length, but if you can get it cheap, or as a rental, check it out.