Ah yes. Web of Shadows. Here's the simple, I-don't-have-very-much-time breakdown.
- Combat is awesome when you get the hang of it. Zip in, piledriver the closest opponent, zip out, bounce off one, huge slam attack that pounds a bunch of others...it really is a great deal of fun.
- While you may feel guilty about the truly spectacular amounts of collateral damage you inflict, there's no denying it looks cool and really brings home the point that Spidey is pretty damn strong.
- They've gone out of their way to make it feel like it's in the comics Marvel Universe - you can see posters for Oscorp, Stark International, Hydra, Damage Control, even posters for freakin' Dazzler. Dazzler! A character who pretty much stopped having a point in the late 1980s!
- It's always good to see Moon Knight out and about.
- The wisecracks work. Especially when pulling the goons out of Kingpin's huge robots. "I'm taking you in for operating an evil robot without a license."
- Finally, a Spider-Man game where bosses are not completely immune to your webbing!
- Using Wolverine as a skateboard slash improvised weapon. Well worth the entrance fee.
- Putting the default web shot key next to the Windows key, and having the program crash when minimised, was not a good bit of programming.
- The camera's quirks are annoying enough, but aiming with the targeting system is pretty clunky, especially if you're using a laptop. The net result? Large numbers of innocent bystanders landing with splat noises.
- The huge amounts of detail can easily lead to everyone stuttering incessantly. And by that I mean the characters.
- Some of the Black Suit choices, especially the early ones, can feel a little forced. Spidey's only been wearing the black suit for a day and suddenly he's getting two gangs to wipe each other out?
- The "you are running out of health" warning makes the edges of the screen harder to see, making you more likely to lose what remains of it.
- There's quite a bit of Fridge Logic, such as "how did they fix the whole of New York in a few weeks?" and "they just let us get away with blowing up a ninety billion dollar SHIELD helicarrier?" for the red suit ending.
Verdict: it's fun, but you're going to want to remap the web attack key.