Reviews: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic S 2 E 22 Hurricane Fluttershy
I personally think this may be my favorite episode this season, if not so far in the whole show. I've been bullied, so I can really sympathize with how poor Fluttershy feels in this episode. Her stage fright was also understandable and overall, the whole episode just made me want to huge her and tell her it'll be alright. The fact she was subjected to Break The Cutie three times in one episode probably had a lot to do with that. Rainbow Dash was in top form in this episode. Yes, she can be a Jerkass sometimes, but she still genuinely loves her friends and tries to comfort Fluttershy the best she can. Angel trying to comfort Fluttershy was also a great touch. It's nice to see him as he's supposed to be, her best friend and companion. The tornado scene was just awesome and a MAJOR highlight for the series as a whole. Not only was the effect amazing, Rainbow and Fluttershy's actions and behavior just made the whole scene a Crowning Moment of...EVERYTHING for the entire series. Without a doubt, this is a MUST WATCH EPISODE! 5/5
A very strong, complex episode
This is the type of episode that really highlights the world and characters that Faust created and has been nurtured by Thiessen and his team, providing a strong moral lesson without subverting it. It's easy to see the overall episode as one that is visually stunning with many moments that are just memorable and humorous themselves. But its when you get past the visuals that a strong character-driven story is present, highlighting both Fluttershy and Rainbow in positive light. Fluttershy's scenario is completely believable and I can guess most kids and members of the older fans can relate to. And no, they didn't make it easy to resolve. She was teased by the older pegasus, even going as far as to make Spike a Jerk Ass Straight Man specifically to set some of these up. And the resolution: no, she doesn't magically show a Hidden Depths of being able to generate the tornado by herself, but just eking by 2.3 and giving moral support to the rest of the pegasi team - that's a rather interesting, unexpected, and more realistic way to resolve that line. She still has the potential to be a great flyer, but they've established a necessary character trait - the challenge of performing in front of an audience. But more interesting is Rainbow Dash. She's a hard character to write for being as forward as she is: both "May The Best Pet Win" and "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" are rather brash RBD episodes and have no real character resolution. But here, we start with RBD wanting to break the record, impress Spitfire, and thus putting every pegasi to a strict training regiment - classic RBD. But then she gets to Fluttershy, and quickly realizes that her friend has to be handled differently, and suddenly we get a whole new light on the relationship between RBD and Fluttershy (no, not shipping). You can tell that RBD really really wants Fluttershy to break out of her shell, and could care less that if she can put forth a 10.0 effort. It would have strengthened the episode a bit if we saw RBD turning the tables on the taunting ponies, but good enough that RBD made every effort to welcome Fluttershy to join. Her meekness at the end, calling Fluttershy her "#1 flyer", is a moment of tearful joy. No, every episode won't be this mushy, but it shows that the team behind this show have a great sense of creating realistic, imperfect characters.
Fluttershy Flies High Once Again!
I am a huge fan of Fluttershy. I watched beyond the first two episodes because of her, I became a Brony because of Dragonshy, I believe Fluttershy (and Rarity) has the most depth & development in Season 1, & I waited so long for Season 2 to give Fluttershy her moment in the sun. I thought Putting Your Hoof Down was pretty good but I wanted more. And then I saw Hurricane Fluttershy and... It... Was... AMAZING! This episode had everything! Good jokes, fun callbacks, & several emotional moments through out the episode. Fluttershy is not just my favorite pony because she's so cute & lovable. But because I connect with her as a character. I wasn't good at sports when I was little, I was picked on in school, I hardly talk to new people so in this episode I really felt for her.
- Rainbow Dash was probably at her most in character this entire season. Determined to succeed no matter what the cost. Trying her best to make Fluttershy join with the rest of the pegasi. In fact this along with the reference to their Fillyhood past, adds even more depth to their friendship. Every scene between the two were so sweet.
- New BG pegasi! The one that's obviously on steroids was hilarious.
- The scene where Angel & Fluttershy's other animals cheer up & helped her improve her confidence was sweet. It's a nice reminder that Fluttershy not just takes care of them, but they're Fluttershy's friends and are loyal to her. For that matter, it's nice to see Angel helping Fluttershy considering how he Took A Level In Jerkass in his last appearance.
- The training montage was epic. I love how one bunny had a Derpy mask at one point.
- The Tara Strong voiced Twilight not being able to speak squirrel, definitely had to be reference to The Powerpuff Girls.
- Of course, the entire third act has an amazing climax even if I figured how it was gonna go down. It's thanks to the animators & voice actors making it work.