This. Film. Blows.
1. Oh gee. The bad people are preppy spoiled teens looking to "release the beast". They chew the scenery.
2. Oh DOUBLE gee! Their victim is a BLACK GUY! Who's poor! And a WAR VETERAN! SYMBOLISMMMMM!!!
3. So their idea of "solving" Unemployment is "kill the unemployed". ECONOMICS DON'T WORK THAT WAY.
4. Career criminals aren't gonna sit on their behinds and twiddle their thumbs, waiting for the ONE night they can let loose. Nor would terrorists.
5. Suppose somebody sets a fire. Or a bomb that spreads a disease. 12 hours, nobody can do jack squat. The Fire Department and the Police can't and won't do anything!
6. This is all so unconstitutional. The whole point of crime is that it is NOT LEGAL. You cannot set aside a night to commit it. Besides, I've seen this kind of story before...from the POWERPUFF GIRLS. Which did it BETTER.
7. People who are poor severely outnumber those who are rich enough to afford good home protection. As we see in the movie even the man who MAKES home protection systems couldn't keep college prep kids with guns and bats out. And he DESIGNED the damn systems. What would stop mobs of poor people pissed off at rich elites for engaging in Social Darwinism from giving them a taste of their own medicine?
8. Supposedly nobody can attack very high-ranking politicians or use high level weapons. Why would anybody actually stick to this limitation? The rules don't matter?
9. According to the web site FOR the Purge, which explains the backstory movie further, purge-related tourism is catching on, along with several public utilities essentially running on the bodies of the Purged. This behavior would get the United States freakin' NUKED. Nobody tourists would ever VISIT America anymore!
10. Studies show "cathartic release" of aggression doesn't REDUCE aggression. It ENHANCES it. You fail at science, movie!
11. What about FINANCIAL CRIMES? Whole chunks of the economy of the USA could collapse if there was enough time devoted the Purge to stealing money from bank accounts. If Bane from Dark Knight Rises could hack the stock market in less than an hour, I'm sure that somebody could do something similar in this "twenty minutes into the future" tale.
In other words...don't waste your time with this weak-ass, wasted potential home invasion thriller.