The Belgariad/Malloreon is a Crapsaccharine Series. It starts off looking like a great fantasy epic, and then you reread it and catch all the bits you missed. Most of these bits lie with the characters. My chief complaint can be summed up as 'They pulled this kind of shit, and they're the good guys? We're supposed to support *them?*' Want some examples? Sure thing!
- Barak raped his wife. But of course it turns out fine, because she becomes a much better person and sees the error of her ways and their marriage becomes better and- NO. I don't give a fuck what happens as the result, rape is still rape.
- Zakath tried to commit genocide. Did he repent? Yes. Does it make a difference? No. I don't give a damn how sorry he was, try telling that to all those Murgos he had killed for no other reason than that they were Murgos.
- Polgara is supposedly a warm, motherly character, when in reality she's a massive bitch. I personally would not allow her to care for a child, because she raised Garion to be completely dependent on her and didn't prepare him for any kind of responsibility, even when she knew his destiny, and refused to answer any of his questions, even the harmless ones. Her smug superiority makes her almost totally unlikable.
- Ce'Nedra. Apart from her managing to pull a fast one and bring in the Western Armies, her entire contribution is to be a bitchy, whiny, useless, hypocritical lump. If she was supposed to be some kind of strong female role model, that went epically wrong.
- Sadi. Likable? Oh, sure. Good? Hey, remember all those people he poisoned? And all the drugs he was handing out like candy?
- Silk: Likable? Absolutely. Good? Yeah, remember how he killed all those Honeths for no other reason than that they happened to be related to a family who killed someone he liked? There's a difference between 'make an example of the murderers' and 'wipe out the whole family', dude.
- Zedar gets encased in rock forever. His crime was doing exactly what the prophecy said he would do. He killed Durnik in self defense. Does Belgarath care? No, of course not. He's a hero, he can do no wrong. Drunken lecherous pervert.
In order to post comments, you need to