01:02:25 AM Oct 29th 2010
edited by JoveHack
edited by JoveHack
1983guy over on GameFAQs is listing a bunch of shoutouts in Resident Evil 1. I'm using the discussion page as a sandbox to pull the list together before dumping it into the RE 1 page.
- Resident Evil borrowed a lot of things from other games.
- The camera and mansion setting are directly from Alone in the Dark (1992, PC),
- The verb palette (Examine, Use or Combine) was taken from Alone in the Dark and Uninvited as well.
- The zombies were taken from movies like Dawn of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead
- The deer head in the mansion was taken from either Evil Dead or the Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake.
- the zombies, are taken from the Dead films of Romero.
- The giant shark in aqua ring...Jaws anyone?
- The large alligator in Resident Evil 2 is probably from Day of the Dead, it has undead gators in the beginning
- The ending of Resident Evil 3, very similar to the ending of Return of the Living Dead
- The scene in RE 3 where you electrocute the zombies, similar to a scene in Return of the Living Dead 2
- The deer head from Evil Dead
- Alexia's shape shifting in RECV is similar to Parasite Eve.
- The special machine gun you can unlock in RE 2 was taken from Terminator 2.
- Also, the abandoned town of Raccoon is similar to many Lucio Fulci movies.
- The design of Birkin's lab in RE 2 is taken from Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead 3, etc
- Leon is dressed like Peter and Roger from Dawn of the Dead.
- the character of Alfred Ashford in RECV seems to be patterned after Norman Bates, from Psycho. Also, his private residence looks eerily similar to the Bate's residence in the movie.
- Where Resident Evil really shined was in the presentation of it all...the music and the plot, which was much more interesting to me than Alone in the Dark's.