04:05:44 AM Sep 17th 2016
On the basis of "It's not enough that an idea seems to be ripping off another idea. It needs to be blatant in its advertising that it is a copy for it to count", I've pulled everything that says "is basically", "can be described as" or similar.
- The Damned is basically Macbeth mixed with Buddenbrooks... IN NAZI GERMANY!
- DeathProof is more or less Crash remade as an orthodox Slasher Movie.
- Django Unchained is basically "The Story of Catcher Freeman" AS A LIVE-ACTION MOVIE!
- Donnie Darko is best described as a metaphysical sci-fi reimagining of The Last Temptation of Christ
- Evolution is Ghostbusters WITH ALIENS!
- One review describes Ex Machina as "Basic Instinct for Robosexuals".
- The Fast and the Furious is Point Break (1991) WITH STREET RACING!
- Part of The Fifth Element is Die Hard IN SPACE! (Also because both star Bruce Willis.)
- Grand Hotel (1932) may not have been the first movie to feature several plots connected by a single location, but it has been so influential that other films with a similar structure are often described as "Grand Hotel IN/ON/AROUND X!"
- American Madness (1932) is Grand Hotel IN A NEW YORK CITY BANK!
- Life Begins (1932) is Grand Hotel IN A MATERNITY WARD!
- Night Flight (1933) is Grand Hotel IN A SOUTH AMERICAN AVIATION FIRM!
- Dinner at Eight (1933) is Grand Hotel AROUND A MANHATTAN DINNER PARTY!
- The Captain Hates the Sea (1934) is Grand Hotel ON A SHIP!
- Hotel Berlin (1945) (based on another book by Vicki Baum) is Grand Hotel IN NAZI BERLIN!
- The Snake Pit (1948) is Grand Hotel IN AN INSANE ASYLUM!
- And finally, Film/Hotel (1967) is Grand Hotel IN AN UPSCALE HOTEL!
- This trope is parodied in the Mel Brooks film History of the World Part I, where one of the previews of Part II involve Jews... IN SPACE! (Not to be confused with the trope Space Jews, which is something else.) Also Adolf Hitler... ON ICE!
- The One is best described as Highlander with the word, "immortals" replaced with the term, "parallel universe counterparts".
- Some have described the 2009 Star Trek as Top Gun IN SPACE!
12:03:56 PM Jan 11th 2017
There are still a lot of examples with the same problem, e.g. "Avatar is Pocahontas in space". Many of them I suspect don't qualify, but not being familiar enough with a lot of the examples (or how they were advertised) I can't say for sure what should go.
06:32:59 AM Jan 12th 2017
10:36:45 AM Mar 3rd 2014
- Apollo 18 is Paranormal Activity IN SPACE!
- Avatar is Pocahontas IN SPACE!
- District 9 is The Apartheid Era WITH ALIENS!Or, Alien Nation in South Africa without Rubber-Forehead Aliens.
- Escape from L.A. is much more like a remake of Escape from New York than a sequel.
- Common rumor is John Carpenter apparently once proposed Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers to be, you guessed it, IN SPACE!
- Jack the Giant Slayer is Aladdin ...WITH GIANTS!
11:09:08 PM Aug 9th 2014
"Avatar" is "Dances with Wolves... IN SPACE!" "Jason X" is "Friday the 13th... IN SPACE!"