09:33:35 PM Sep 18th 2014
Re: Anime/Sailor Moon Strictly speaking, none of the Senshi directly control wind. Takeuchi did plenty of homework regarding Meaningful Names and symbolisms. Sailor Uranus' powers are based on the sky/space (World Shaking is a meteor impact, then there's the Space Sword); this is a tie-in to the Uranus of Greek myth (lord of the heavens before Zeus and company took over; thus the translation of Haruka Tenoh—"Lord of the Distant Heavens". Meanwhile, Sailor Jupiter's powers are more based on nature. This is tied to the Japanese name for Jupiter: mokusei—"forest planet" and her name Makoto Kino—"Wisdom of the Forest". Eastern folklore refers to plants, trees, and vegetation a lot when it comes to natural phenomena like lightning (this is tied in more explicitly in Super S with Oak Evolution).
11:14:00 PM Sep 18th 2014
See? When an example is of dubious validity, you can use the discussion tab to ask others about it. As someone who watched Sailor Moon back in the nineties and once again in the early 2000s, I never thought the powers of Uranus were "wind" (in fact, like most viewers, I thought they were earth or something). Feel free to remove it, and please explain why the example doesn't fit in the edit reason. =)
09:27:59 AM Apr 28th 2012
The image subtitle seems a little odd. The airbending in Avatar always looks light blue, not green. The picture is slightly green in parts because the Light blue's over a yellow wall.
01:33:58 AM Oct 27th 2012
Agreed. We either need to remove it, change it, or get a new picture.
03:41:45 AM Oct 27th 2012
I removed the caption — the definition of green was screaming at me that it didn't want to have such a color on its family tree. The image works and was chosen in a really long IP thread, so I don't see why it may need changing.
03:56:13 PM Apr 5th 2012
edited by EkronDye
edited by EkronDye
Doesn't seem to be any objection so I went and made the change.
05:16:20 PM Mar 8th 2012
Basic Trope: Control over the Wind element
- Straight: Alice can make wind with her hands and create a tornado by spinning.
- Exaggerated: Alice can create hurricanes
- Alice can take the form of wind.
- Downplayed: Alice can blow, which merely topples over globes.
- Justified: Alice is a wind goddess
- Inverted: Alice controls Earth
- Subverted: A Tornado attacked the Big Bad's village, but Alice didn't do it
- Double Subverted: Alice then learns how to control wind
- Parodied: Alice can create currents that spell, "This is wind"
- Zig Zagged: Alice can control Earth and Wind
- Averted: Alice does not control wind
- Enforced: The storywriter chases tornadoes
- Lampshaded: "This wind is driving me nuts..."
- Invoked: Alice was force to learn how to control wind
- Exploited: The Big Bad set up an anti-wind fortress
- Defied: Alice doesn't have to learn wind powers.
- Discussed: "Last tornado wrecked a castle!" "It even wrecked a landmark!"
- Conversed: "So, based on TV, Alice controls wind"
09:11:09 PM May 4th 2010
Tell me the page image isn't of a DC superhero who has air powers and an arrow on his head... Who is it, anyway?