It's a three-day Deadlock Clock.
If it is applied to a thread, it will count three days from the time it is applied. If no action has been taken or no progress has been made in the discussion by the time it runs out, the thread will be locked, all associated crowners will be locked, and the "Under Discussion" tags will be removed from the page in question. The subject will be considered dead. Anyone who wants to bring it up again will need to start all over from the beginning. "Action taken" includes making crowners if they were not previously made. "Progress in the discussion" means exactly what it sounds like; contentless bumping, repetition of the same points that have already been made, or irrelevant side-conversations are not "progress in the discussion". Once the clock is in place, it cannot be removed. It can be extended, and will be as long as progress continues to be made, or at the discretion of a mod or admin. Deliberate obstructionism in a thread with the Deadlock Clock running on it will be considered "arrant dickishness". Repeated obstructionism will result in at least a temporary forum ban.
edited 5th Oct '10 9:05:25 AM by Madrugada
- you can use Tropers/name the same way you would use any other namespaced title: (Tropers/FastEddie goes to Fast Eddie)
- or you can use the shortcut @/ in front of the name:. @/FastEddie goes to the same place: Fast Eddie
edited 5th Jun '10 7:21:55 AM by Madrugada
edited 5th Oct '10 9:06:00 AM by Madrugada
edited 8th Jul '10 10:41:45 PM by Madrugada
- Administrative Policy applies here as it does anywhere else on the Wiki. The particular part that is relevent to the forums is "Nastiness and dickery: will not be tolerated". In other words, don't be a dick.
- A specific form of dickery which is banned is the personal attack.
- If you're debating with somebody, attack their arguments, not the person.
- Don't create crowners or threads complaining about your fellow tropers. Banning comes pretty quickly for that one. It's safe to assume that once is enough for a ban.
- If it's patently obvious who you're talking about, the fact that you didn't mention their name doesn't make it "not a personal attack". You may safely assume that moderators are at least as capable of figuring things out as everyone else is. Most of the time.
- Contentless snowclone threads are prohibited. They tend to result in copycat threads and pointless wonderposting. A content-less snowclone is a thread which serves no purpose other than to make a pun based on the name of an existing thread. In the past they have been known to spread rapidly, but the current policy is to lock or zap any pointless snowclone thread immediately.
- Certain subforums have their own specific rules. Please make sure you know the rules of that subforum before posting there. That means no derails in On Topic Conversations, no exclusive clubs in Trope Covens, and try to stick to the guidelines in Forum Games.
- Never import drama here from another site. Any user who does so will face an immediate ban. This means don't use our forums for a battleground, don't encourage or instigate others to use our forums as a battleground, and don't use our forums as a launching pad for a fight.
- We wish to maintain an atmosphere of mutual respect. We request that you behave civilly. Failure to do so may result in a ban.
- On thread necromancy versus the creation of new threads: Neither one is de facto "bad form" here. Either is acceptable, depending on the thread and why it's being brought up again.
- If the new post is in response to something relevant in the old thread, it makes more sense to necro the old one rather than try to recap the whole previous discussion.
- If the new post is tangential or only partially related to the old thread, making a new thread may make more sense.
- If the old thread degenerated into a fight or shitposting, there's no point in trying to necro it — it will simply pick back up with fighting or shitposting, 95 times out of a hundred.
- On the left-hand side of the forum, it's almost always preferable to necro an old thread in Trope Repair or Image Picking than to make a new one.
- The only things close to rules that we have about necro'ing an old thread is "don't necro just for lulz" and "don't necro to continue a fight."
edited 5th Oct '10 9:06:33 AM by Madrugada
- don't use our forums for a battleground,
- don't encourage or instigate others to use our forums as a battleground, and
- don't use our forums as a launching pad for a fight.
edited 5th Oct '10 9:21:40 AM by Madrugada
edited 5th Oct '10 9:25:08 AM by Madrugada
edited 5th Oct '10 9:07:54 AM by Madrugada
edited 5th Oct '10 9:24:45 AM by Madrugada
- and [[white: some text]] for invisible text if it's used on a page with a white background.
edited 5th Oct '10 9:24:31 AM by Madrugada
edited 12th Oct '10 6:10:40 PM by Madrugada
edited 27th Oct '10 4:29:29 PM by Madrugada
Fast Eddie said: Finally heard from Google. Here it is:
edited 28th Oct '10 9:39:36 AM by Madrugada
edited 28th Oct '10 9:40:28 AM by Madrugada