Introducing On-Topic Conversations:
edited 17th Jan '12 6:00:32 AM by BestOf
- Israel and Palestine
- Theism vs. atheism
- Justifications for piracy
- How humanity sucks, how life sucks, and/or about how we need to all kill ourselves or stop having children.
- Topics made simply to collect expressions of outrage over something that cannot be reasonably regarded as anything but outrageous.
- Arguments about which side has it worse, and which side is doing more oppression, in a given debate - men vs women, religion vs atheism, etc - are not a productive discussion, and in the absence of several independent and unbiased academic studies we probably won't have an answer that everyone would accept. If you want to participate in the Oppression Olympics you can do so on some other site.
- Another tactic we don't want to see is Appeal to Worse Problems: declaring that the topic at hand isn't worth discussing because there's a similar one that you, personally, consider worse or more important. It's a logical fallacy because it assumes that someone can only be concerned with one thing at a time. It's a dirty debate tactic for the same reason.
edited 28th Jul '13 11:43:41 AM by BestOf
You need to Get Known to get one of those.