- "As odd as it may seem, if you want the audience to feel sorry for a villain, a good death scene is probably the way to go."
- This is the first sentence of the second paragraph and clearly points out that it's the audience that reacts. Could be rewritten if that's the only arguement. However!
- "The movie also gives Precia an absolutely heartbreaking death scene. As she falls into an endless abyss, she remembers that Alicia wanted a sister, and realizes that she should have treated Fate as another daughter, and not as a Replacement Goldfish for Alicia, but by then, it's too late for her to make amends or even apologize."
- Direct quote from the page, this example does not mention any in-universe mourning of Precia, if it's there or not, it distinctly limited to how the audience will feel.
- "Any major end-of-arc villain in Fist of the North Star, once we realize that they were really Well Intentioned Extremists underneath all those brutal beatings and slavery. Tender Tears and Manly Tears will be shed."
- Specifically pointing to the "we" in this example, referring to the audience. Nothing mentioned about how the characters feel.
- "Mikoto from Flame of Recca is considered 'the female Mokuren': smug, bitchy, and monstrous. But then, they both get into a relationship, and while still smug and a monster, Mikoto somewhat mellows a bit. Then, Mokuren conveniently kills her to give him an advantage while she's begging him to stop fighting altogether. Sure, she's done lots of horrible things, but God, she looked so pitiful during her death that the one you wanted to die is not her, but Mokuren."
- Another example the puts the reaction in the viewer's alley.
- "Valkyria Chronicles' Selvaria blew herself up with most of Gallia's army, but the look on her face and her reasons for doing so will just make you feel sorry for her."
- Yet another example of the audience supposed to be the one affected.
- Not going to bother quoting any more directly, but the following examples seem to me to be audience oriented, and I would advise people to look at them:
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen under Comic Books
- The Asajj Ventress example from Clone Wars under Comic Books
- The Ponies Make War example under Fan Fiction
- The Batman Returns example under Film
- The In Bruges example under Film (it looks like everyone actually is dead there)
- The Magnificent Seven example under Film
- The Kingdom Hearts example (specifically that of Vanitas) under Video Games
- The Order Of The Stick example under Webcomics
- The Cobra Commander example from G.I. Joe under Western Animation
edited 1st Jun '12 11:08:11 PM by TheInferno
edited 1st Jun '12 11:18:05 PM by troacctid
edited 1st Jun '12 11:21:24 PM by TheInferno
edited 1st Jun '12 11:38:52 PM by troacctid
edited 2nd Jun '12 2:37:36 AM by troacctid
edited 2nd Jun '12 6:17:26 PM by TheInferno
edited 2nd Jun '12 6:58:40 PM by troacctid
edited 2nd Jun '12 7:26:50 PM by TheInferno
edited 2nd Jun '12 7:47:58 PM by troacctid
Page Action: YMMV Banner 4
17th Aug '14 8:08:24 AM