Ambiguous Name: Dark Chick get usage counts
Deadlock Clock: 7th Mar 2014 11:59:00 PM
edited 12th Jan '14 4:02:45 AM by johnnye
- Just as the heroic Chick represents diversity and an emphasis on emotion, so, too, does the Dark Chick.
- He/she (the gender ratio is fairly evenly split, literally at least in post-1970s works)
- is the member of the villainous ensemble that adds a certain indescribable quality.
- How it does this can vary.
- Most frequent is for the member to be a Token Minority (relative to their peers; it's not unheard of for this member to be a Token White or The One Guy), acting out their status to an excessive degree.
- For example, if this member is the Dark Action Girl in a male dominated organization, she'll also base a lot of her actions and dialogue on how she is breaking gender stereotypes.
- If it's a Scot in an otherwise English group, expect her to be wearing a red plaid kilt and speaking with a thick Glaswegian accent while perpetually drunk.
edited 12th Jan '14 4:22:37 AM by Catbert
edited 12th Jan '14 4:24:14 PM by acrobox
- A Cat in Paris: Seems to be used for Dark Action Girl
- Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Correct.
- Ace Combat: Equestria Chronicles: Correct
- Action Dress Rip: Dark Action Girl
- Adventure Time: Correct
- Aerith and Bob: Misuse for Dark Action Girl
- Afterhour Mayhem: not sure, but there's no mention of Five-Bad Band on the page.
- A Game Of Gods Nomads: Dark Action Girl.
- Albert the Fifth Musketeer: No mention of a Five-Bad Band, so presumably Dark Action Girl.
- Fan Fic/Alex: ZCE but in Five-Bad Band so probably correct.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Used as "The Chick, but evil."
edited 12th Jan '14 6:08:36 PM by Larkmarn
edited 14th Jan '14 2:47:38 AM by ShanghaiSlave
- The Dark Chick is the member of the Five-Bad Band who is probably the Token Girl (or we could make this necessarily the Token Girl like it now is for Five-Man Band)
- Where The Chick is The Heart and is usually good at reading emotions and doing something positive, like making people feel better or resolving fights. The Dark Chick can be a Villainous Demotivator, Ice Queen, or Deadpan Snarker who cares little for others emotional well being. If they don't outright ignore their other peoples feelings, they will either make fun of them, berate them, or use as fodder for mind-games and manipulation.
- The Chick brings 'diversity' by being the member of the team who usually a Non-Action Guy or Faux Action Girl. The Dark Chick brings 'diversity' by being the member of the team who usually not just For the Evulz, or has reasons why they don't always act like everyone else does, (sometimes being the Token Good Teammate or most susceptible to a Heel–Face Turn especially if she has a thing for one of the heroes)
- Often relegated to Designated Girl Fight with The Chick, or is otherwise given more character focus and is set up as a female foil to a male hero. If this happens she usually starts to overlap with The Dragon, and may outright replace him in the hierarchy much to his chagrin.
- In short the reasons that make The Chick different from a regular Five-Man Band typically make her teammates like her, what makes the Dark Chick different makes her Five-Bad Band teammates dislike her.
- Or barring the other side components of the trope she's the Chick's Evil Counterpart by virtue of being the Token Girl for the bad guys.
edited 15th Jan '14 8:33:36 AM by acrobox
edited 15th Jan '14 9:46:24 PM by ShanghaiSlave
edited 16th Jan '14 6:36:02 PM by acrobox
But, I agree that Dark Chick should be a girl just as The Chick is. It doesn't make sense for a male character to fill this role, since The Chick must be a girl. The name should probably be called The Dark Chick (current name can redirect to this) since most members of The Team are called that. "The" may seem trivial, but it helps indicate that it's a role, rather than just a dark chick.
edited 17th Mar '14 5:59:32 PM by acrobox
edited 18th Mar '14 8:26:37 AM by shimaspawn
Page Action: Dark Chick
4th Mar '14 8:01:45 PM