Here are some rules I notice. All of them may not be true. I ask that you guys comment on which ones are true, which are not true, and anything else you need to say.
- 0.Her very existence onscreen or in writing seems to be to titillate the viewer. Every moment she's encountered arouses the audience.
- 1.Most of her actions, if not every single one, is either done or technically composed in a sexual manner; through camera work, the focus is on those actions to make her look sexually appealing.
- 2.Whatever female assets are arousing to the target audience will be accentuated.
- 3.Her clothes serve to accentuate those particular assets, or are chosen to be arousing; if the target audience thinks kimono are very sexy, she'll have a zillion sumptuous selection of kimono, for example, or one very blatantly appealing kimono if outfits are limited in that work.
- 4.The aforementioned aspects of her character overshadow everything else she does. She can be a rocket scientist, but that is not the most remembered part of her character.
- 4.5Her sexiness is her defining trait in such a way that nothing else matters.
- 5.There can be more than one Ms. Fanservice in one work if she fulfills all of the rules too (whatever all the rules are when we decide).
- 6.(My opinion) The fanservice this character provides has no bearing on the narrative and is purely for the pleasure of the viewer. Justification is weak.
- 7Ms. Fanservice may sport an outfit that is dissonant with her setting. Ex: wearing a miniskirt and tight shirt to an office setting; wearing a bikini into battle; wearing no support on top while being active.
edited 19th May '14 9:44:10 AM by Lakija
edited 19th May '14 8:07:47 AM by Discar
edited 19th May '14 9:36:48 AM by Lakija
edited 19th May '14 9:42:51 AM by Discar
edited 19th May '14 8:17:14 PM by Lakija
edited 19th May '14 9:12:46 PM by captainpat
edited 20th May '14 4:16:55 AM by Willbyr
edited 20th May '14 6:20:16 AM by Lakija
edited 28th Jun '14 4:16:44 PM by Lakija
- SoulCalibur: Many of the characters have noticeable fan service features, but Ivy is the resident queen.
- Check 1: (not totally sure I cannot remember a lot of her story stuff)
- Check 2: When she is on camera she is often subjected to Male Gaze style zoom ins. Her fighting style is inherently erotic (the whip being a weapon reminiscent of dommes). (if I am remembering right..) Ads featuring her are typically composed with her butt first towards the viewer, showing her thong to all and sundry. Official art often has her posing in either an exaggerated curve with swayed hips or in boobs and butt pose.
- Check 3: Her clothing backs up the allusion to dominatrices being made of tiny straps of leather and many weirdly positioned spikes. Her default costume has become memetic and is often used as a punchline about weirdly elaborate fetish clothing on fictional characters.
- Check 4: (her overt sexiness is certainly what people remember, but again I am having trouble remembering her plot specifics)
- Check 5: The target audience of the the games advertise determines the characters likely to be in the Ads, Ivy is right next to Taki in characters meant to sell you the game on sexiness.
- Check 6: Her default outfit is absolutely inappropriate for fighting, something she is supposed to be there to do. There is little protection in many areas where she opts to show skin, and the whole things looks difficult to move in to boot. It also feels out-of-place next to the medieval armor and traditional Japanese outfits many of the other characters are wearing.
- Check 7: She is meant to be a fighter, daughter of a pirate ghost, who is trying to get a cursed sword and/ or stop others from doing the same so no, her sexiness is not really necessary to the plot.
edited 8th Jul '14 3:30:14 PM by rexpensive