Playing With Tropes:
- Secret Circle of Secrets: the circle is so secret that the only member we ever directly meet is a fairly mid-level mook with absolutely no idea what The Cult he's a member of believes, how it's run, who is involved or what they're after (beyond his own speculation), and whether or not they're even the evil occult group they've convinced him they are. His only justification is that they saved his life at one point and that "it's better to be in than out". By the end of the story all the information given is ambiguous and it's impossible to distinguish what was part of their plan and what only looks like it might be.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: the characters are all trapped in one lasting about six months, and the only character who possibly retains her memory of it disappears in the first chapter. However, it's implied that they've gone through the loop so many times that some unconscious memories have somehow started to persist, and the consequences of this come up whenever events suddenly go off-course (extreme panic, sense of unreality, depersonalisation from a massive disconnect between their memories and perception of reality, etc.)
- Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence: happens briefly to one character, and the effects on an ordinary unprepared person of possibly experiencing God Himself are extremely unpleasant, to the point that he almost completely loses his mind.
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Zigzagged. Some characters win through hard work, some don't. Example: The strongest antagonist is viewed as a prodigy as he trumps everyone with only around a year and a half's worth of formal training. but in actuality was only that strong because of the colossal amount of battle experience he has.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Justified. The main character's broken-as-hell ability has a set number of uses; the Big Bad sends him progressively stronger enemies precisely because he wants the protagonist to use up his power.
edited 25th Mar '13 2:16:08 AM by fillerdude
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Zigzagged. One of my male characters happens to be asexual and isn't interested in sex and doesn't mind, but gets a little teasing for it from his Ethical Slut cousin, but eventually his cousin learns to accept it.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: There's a couple downplayed examples
edited 26th Mar '13 7:11:26 AM by TheMuse
You need to Get Known to get one of those.