Misused: Mac Guffin get usage counts
- Accidentally Broke the MacGuffin lists the prophecy record from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The record is not a MacGuffin; it fails the Hope diamond test. If Harry Potter would accidentally destroy the Hope diamond, or destroy any other record, then he can still steal the record about himself.
- Dismantled MacGuffin lists the pieces of the Master Emerald from Sonic Adventure. The Master Emerald is not a MacGuffin. Knuckles cannot use the pieces of the Hope diamond or some Silmaril to counter the Chaos Emeralds.
- Egg MacGuffin might allow an egg that is not a MacGuffin. However, the page for MacGuffin insists that an Egg MacGuffin is "A Macguffin that is an egg," with a link to Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Just Eat the MacGuffin mentions "grabbing the MacGuffin to take over the world." This is already misuse, as a MacGuffin must have "no further purpose", and any object that can take over the world would fail the Hope diamond test. Just Eat the MacGuffin also lists the One Ring, which is not a MacGuffin.
- Change Artifact of Attraction to allow objects that are not MacGuffins. The One Ring will then count as an Artifact of Attraction.
- Remove some tropes from the list of subtropes of MacGuffin. This includes at least Accidentally Broke the MacGuffin, Dismantled MacGuffin, Egg MacGuffin, Free Sample Plot Coupon, Hostage for MacGuffin, Just Eat the MacGuffin, I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin...
- Rename tropes that misuse MacGuffin in the title. This includes most tropes from the previous list, and also Fakin' MacGuffin.
- Implement a proposal from 2001 to broaden the definition of MacGuffin, by splitting it into Hitchcock's MacGuffin and Lucas's MacGuffin. The One Ring will then count as an Artifact of Attraction, because the One Ring is a Lucas's MacGuffin.
edited 7th Oct '12 10:01:58 PM by Kernigh
- Macguffin A: It is a "motivating element in a story that is used to drive the plot" that "serves no further purpose". It is interchangeable. Its identity does not matter; the One Unicorn Horn fits as well as the One Ring, or the Hope diamond fits as well as the Mona Lisa.
- Macguffin B: It drives the plot, but might have some further purpose, and might be too important to interchange with something else.
- Egg MacGuffin: Some of the eggs are not Macguffins. If the egg hatches an important character, then the egg is not interchangeable, and is not a Macguffin.
- Just Eat the MacGuffin: I suspect that many of the examples do not involve Macguffins, even though the trope description uses the term "MacGuffin". I believe that the stone from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and the Crystal Stars from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door are not Macguffins. The stone might enable the return of Voldemort; the Crystal Stars are Plot Coupons That Do Something. None of them are interchangeable; all of them have a further purpose.
- MacGuffin Delivery Service: Some examples deliver objects (including the Philosopher's Stone again) are not Macguffins.
edited 9th Oct '12 7:30:23 PM by Kernigh
edited 10th Oct '12 1:59:27 AM by nrjxll
edited 10th Oct '12 11:47:24 AM by Stratadrake
edited 10th Oct '12 11:48:43 AM by KJMackley
edited 10th Oct '12 1:06:05 PM by Xtifr
edited 11th Oct '12 6:02:11 AM by AnotherDuck
edited 11th Oct '12 11:42:25 AM by Escher
edited 11th Oct '12 12:49:18 PM by Xtifr
edited 11th Oct '12 2:09:47 PM by tbarrie