This is Uly (warning, large images and bad artwork);
supposed to be the protagonist of my game but the design I came up with for her outfit's a bit dull. Has anyone got any suggestions to improve it?
Sorry if the information below sounds a bit incoherent, I'm having to copy and paste from several different sets of notes.
The project in question is a Metroidvania
style 2D sidescroller game set in the 2300s after an apocalypse in the 2200s devestated the Earth. Most of the ruins of the old world were excavated and by the time of the game things are up to about Post-Cyberpunk
levels of technology, however areas of land which haven't been "mined" for technology and reclaimed still exist. Uly is trapped in such an area and has to escape.
The main gameplay mechanics are finding new equipment to bypass various obstacles (like every other Metroidvania style game) and the ability to upgrade your equipment with salvaged technology. The customising mechanic works thus;
- Old world technology is found as random drops and loot.
- The player takes what they find apart and strips it into components in a minigame.
- The player builds a "module" using a crafting recipe. Recipes use specific types of components but can produce different results depending on the component used (for example a "bomb" recipe might require a "fuse" component as part of its recipe; the player could use a "timer fuze" or a "sensor fuze" and get a completely different type of bomb).
- Weapons and equipment have slots which particular types of "modules" can be added to customise them.
Examples of equipment you find through the course of the game include;
- A grappling hook which allows you to latch onto certain surfaces and pull yourself up (or quickly forward).
- A cutting torch for breaking open certain doors (and containers, etc).
- A "hacking tool" which allows the player to open secure electronic locks.
The equipment can be customised in the same way as the weapons, making certain puzzles (e.g. locks) easier to access or even granting access to hidden areas which otherwise would not be available with unmodified tools.
Uly was born in 2343 AD on the 19th of December. Her father was a "salvage archaeologist" (someone who specialises in digging up old world tech) and her mother was a soldier (they met when she escorted his team on a dig). She was born prematurely and had to have an implant on her head to prevent brain damage (it may or may not have made a difference), which caused some of her hair to discolour (becoming red rather than auburn in places). When she turned 13 they gave her her iconic weapon; a solenoid pistol (basically a coilgun
. It's a silly name in-universe too) which her father had salvaged many years ago and restored.
In 2359, at the age of 16 she left home to join a salvage dig as part of a vocational engineering course (since most of the old world ruins had been dug up, following directly in her father's footsteps wasn't really a viable career choice) but fell out of contact with her parents after arguing with them before leaving (they thought she was wasting her time, and she didn't explain she needed to pass the course to get into university). 2 years later, she becomes stranded while travelling to a base her mother's old unit was posted at (hoping to find someone who can help her get back in contact).
Personality-wise, Uly's technically minded. She's basically a "realistic" version of characters like Gordon Freeman
or Lara Croft
in the sense of having realistic combat skills (she knows how to use her pistol quite well, but has trouble using larger ranged weapons and melee weapons and relies on making them more powerful with mods to compensate) and not being too athletic (she mostly needs the grappling hook to climb anything). She has a tendancy to jump to conclusions. Her hobbies include reading historical and/or romance novels (the latter she won't admit to) and painting miniatures.
edited 7th Oct '12 7:45:24 AM by Bisected8