Obviously having someone be X just so you have an X is dumb, but if you have a large cast it probably shouldn't be all straight white neurotypical men between 20-40.
So how have you balanced those two extremes?
I'm probably going forget a couple dozen and a lot of characters are only barely defined so far, but here goes.
(The story isn't based on Earth, but a lot of the areas correspond roughly, so I'll just use the Earth equivalents.)
- The main character, Delia, is white, straight, widowed, and possible asexual-ish (she's got a son). She's also not especially attractive and kind of muscle-bound.
- Her brother-in-law is white and straight.
- One of her best friends, RV, is black and straight. The animal shelter they volunteer at is run by a black woman. The main vet is a Latino guy (My notes say: "Basically he looks like a young Latino Santa Claus.")
- Wild Rush, one of the main bad guys, is bi, prefers women, and white. He has serious mental problems. His two henchguys are gay and in a relationship. They're both white, although I could change that with little problem. His girlfriend is white and straight.
- Jill, another villain, is white and straight. She's got some sort of medical condition - I haven't decided yet what. I'm leaning towards diabetes. She briefly dated Wild Rush, and another villain, Gimmick, who smokes, is Native American and black, and straight (so far).
- Techrat, another villain, is white and asexual, but that's because he has serious mental problems, so it doesn't really count. He's got sensitivity issues, phobias, and some other stuff.
I think that covers everybody whose sexuality is defined.
- At some point, Delia is going to hire one of her son's friends. She will be trans (MTF) and non-white, but I haven't decided what exactly yet.
- In the police department, Aurita is 3/4 black, 1/4 Hawaiian, and a little person.
- Delia's boss is kinky and I think bi, but I don't remember.
- One of the villains was going to be black, but I changed him to white because I was afraid of Unfortunate Implications
(he ends up turning into a catman. It seemed questionable). After his transformation he shares his brain with the alien that transformed him.
- A minor character, a reporter, is gay and married to another woman.
- Isha and Shaitan are Indian / Middle Eastern, as is a friend of Isha's. Their gangs are mixed. One of the other gangs is primarily Indian and Asian.
I need more good guys that are non-white, but my problem is that I mostly write about the bad guys. I also need more LGBT etc characters, although sex and sexuality doesn't come up much (but I'm working on showing SSM is considered normal - there's another couple of minor male characters that married with kids). Oddly enough, I also need to add more Asians. I think because the random generator I made for physical appearance just gives colors (dark, light, freckled, olive, etc) and not ethnicity.