TV Tropes Org

Forums

Deadlock Clock: 16th Oct '12 11:59 PM
search forum titles
google site search
Total posts: [40]
1
2

Does Not Illustrate: Ninety Percent Of Your Brain get usage counts

 1 Spark 9, Mon, 10th Sep '12 3:14:04 PM from Castle Wulfenbach Relationship Status: Too sexy for my shirt
Gentleman Troper!
90% of Your Brain is about how humans only use 10% of their brain, and become very powerful when they somehow manage to tap into the other 90%. However, the image is of somebody who gains superpowers from wearing a mask. That strikes me as a different trope, so the image shouldn't illustrate this one.
Special trousers. Very heroic.
This is all over the article but I want to emphasize that this is a myth with no basis in fact. (Even "10% at a time" or with some other circumstantial qualifier is not true in general, though it might be coincidentally true at a given moment.)

Perpetuating that myth is my only criticism of Inception. :(

edited 10th Sep '12 3:34:25 PM by rodneyAnonymous

Becky: Who are you? The Mysterious Stranger: An angel.
Huck: What's your name? The Mysterious Stranger: Satan.
 3 Willbyr, Mon, 10th Sep '12 5:17:28 PM from North Little Rock, AR Relationship Status: Pining for the fjords
Anime-ted
Holy crap, that's a horrible pic. Pull! *BANG*
So...what actually is going on in that pic?

So, suggestion 1. Not sure if exactly on point.

edited 10th Sep '12 10:10:36 PM by petrie911

Belief or disbelief rests with you.
 5 Another Duck, Mon, 10th Sep '12 10:15:27 PM from Stockholm Relationship Status: Chocolate!
No, the other one.
It feels misleading. Pull.

[up]That's just someone with a walnut-sized brain.

edited 10th Sep '12 10:15:56 PM by AnotherDuck

Check out my fanfiction!
 6 nitrokitty, Mon, 10th Sep '12 10:39:35 PM Relationship Status: Love is for the living, Sal
Terrible pic. Supporting pull.

even older skool
@4 The Jojo (one of them) in the foreground has just been Punched Across the Room by Dio in the background. While flying, he takes the time to marvel at how strong Dio's latest Upgrade Artifact has made him. Apparently said upgrade involves his brain somehow, although I can't speak in much more detail than that regarding the nature of his powers in this arc.

If I could be sure that Dio was a solid example I'd suggest Keep Until Better Image Suggested, as that would "only" make it borderline unillustrative. As it is, however, it looks like a definite pull.

In uffish thought
Pull it — confusing and indistinct.

The Homer one feels like it's in use somewhere else. As it is, although he only therefore uses a tiny brain in comparison to normal people, which may account for his idiocy, he does use all of it (or seem to from that image) and can't harness the empty space.
Merge those duplicates! Fix that factual error! Delete that shoehorned non-example! You have the power! Meta Four
 9 Spark 9, Mon, 10th Sep '12 11:55:08 PM from Castle Wulfenbach Relationship Status: Too sexy for my shirt
Gentleman Troper!
The Homer image works for me as a Visual Pun. I would prefer it to leaving the page image-less.
Special trousers. Very heroic.
 10 Septimus Heap, Mon, 10th Sep '12 11:57:17 PM from Zurich, Switzerland Relationship Status: Mu
A Wizard boy
I have no idea what Homer is about.

 11 Spark 9, Tue, 11th Sep '12 12:02:33 AM from Castle Wulfenbach Relationship Status: Too sexy for my shirt
Gentleman Troper!
[up] There is brain activity in only 10% of his skull, and the other 90% is empty.
Special trousers. Very heroic.
In uffish thought
However, there isn't anything about getting superpowered by utilising the other 90% — in fact, as it's just empty space that's impossible.
Merge those duplicates! Fix that factual error! Delete that shoehorned non-example! You have the power! Meta Four
 13 Willbyr, Tue, 11th Sep '12 4:01:31 AM from North Little Rock, AR Relationship Status: Pining for the fjords
Anime-ted
I don't think the Homer one works for this...and I can't help seeing his mouth in the X-ray as two mandarin orange slices.
 14 Spark 9, Tue, 11th Sep '12 4:19:02 AM from Castle Wulfenbach Relationship Status: Too sexy for my shirt
Gentleman Troper!
[up][up] Yes. It's hardly an ideal image but I find it workable unless we find something better.
Special trousers. Very heroic.
 15 Septimus Heap, Tue, 11th Sep '12 4:24:03 AM from Zurich, Switzerland Relationship Status: Mu
A Wizard boy
I think Homer is no better and no worse than no image, but there are probably better choices.

Kanomi
Yes that picture is horrible. The Homer one confuses the issues, it implies everyone is stupid. Apparently I am too new to post picture links, but if you google-image "Matrix Spoonbender" there is a kid bending spoons with his mind that might fit the bill.

In uffish thought
This guy? I'm afraid that one is JAFAAC, though, since nothing is indicated about how much mind he's using or if that's normal. (Is that where the "there is no spoon" line that my brother used to always quote comes from?)
Merge those duplicates! Fix that factual error! Delete that shoehorned non-example! You have the power! Meta Four
 18 Septimus Heap, Tue, 11th Sep '12 9:35:18 AM from Zurich, Switzerland Relationship Status: Mu
A Wizard boy
^Obvious JAFAAC. Negative, that is.

 19 Shadow Hog, Tue, 11th Sep '12 9:48:13 AM from Earth Relationship Status: Healthy, deeply-felt respect for this here Shotgun
Avatar by Neoriceisgood
[up][up] It is. It is not the spoon that bends, it is only himself.
Moon
The Matrix is one of the best movies ever made. Strongly recommend seeing it.
Becky: Who are you? The Mysterious Stranger: An angel.
Huck: What's your name? The Mysterious Stranger: Satan.
In uffish thought
I saw it (or one of the sequels, which I hear are not as good) when I was seven or something; my older brother watched it while I was in the room (and quoted it endlessly afterwards as well as getting a trenchcoat). I remember Neo learning a martial art in an instant, a woman walking down the street in a red dress, bullet dodging, plugs in heads, and giant robot squid things with lasers and claws. Maybe I should watch it again at some point and get a clearer idea of what it's about!


On-topic excuse for post: Could something like this work? It kinda shows a bit of the trope in a way. Source for brain.

Merge those duplicates! Fix that factual error! Delete that shoehorned non-example! You have the power! Meta Four
 22 Another Duck, Tue, 11th Sep '12 11:50:48 AM from Stockholm Relationship Status: Chocolate!
No, the other one.
[up]That's still showing something that isn't the trope.
Check out my fanfiction!
It is also factual. The article is about super powers.
Becky: Who are you? The Mysterious Stranger: An angel.
Huck: What's your name? The Mysterious Stranger: Satan.
 24 Septimus Heap, Tue, 11th Sep '12 12:04:21 PM from Zurich, Switzerland Relationship Status: Mu
A Wizard boy
[up][up][up]And it's possibly wrong. AFAIK, it's the medulla (the azure bit) and not the pons (the violet one) which is life-necessary.

That is correct. (Though an easy mistake to make, that image makes the structures look more distinct than they are.)

edited 11th Sep '12 12:14:29 PM by rodneyAnonymous

Becky: Who are you? The Mysterious Stranger: An angel.
Huck: What's your name? The Mysterious Stranger: Satan.
Total posts: 40
1
2


TV Tropes by TV Tropes Foundation, LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available from thestaff@tvtropes.org.
Privacy Policy