Reading this thread, I remember watching Iron Man 2. Due to suicide prevention training, I immediately keyed in on the fact that the writers included many of the signs a person preparing to commit suicide perform.
He started giving away his possessions to friends and charity.
- collections to the Boy Scouts
- Stark Enterprises to his girlfriend
- an Iron Man suit to his best friend
He behaved more recklessly (given, he already did live dangerously, his friends didn't notice the increase)
- driving a race car without proper lessons
- getting drunk in a weapons system
He was quiet and withdrawn.
- Several scenes that initially looked like he was trying to talk about his feelings to Pepper actually were about his attempt to tell her what was happening to him
The movie did not lampshade the lack of therapists, but the signs of a mental illness was present. Including the evidence of suicide preperation, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or Schizophrenia should make a work qualify for the trope.
Still new. Still learning. Asking questions and making mistakes.