Rename (alt titles 8/29): Hollywood Light Bulb

Total posts: [34]
1 2
A lot of reasons here:

  • 1 4 examples, period
  • 2 You have to really know your stuff to even find examples of this
  • 3 Don't know if this went through YKTTW
  • 4 I (and everyone else) easily mix this up with Hollywood Lighting

Solutions: (not mutually exclusive)

edited 6th Jul '12 2:46:30 PM by spacemarine50

Definitely not 6 - this isn't about general lighting mistakes, and we don't want a page about general lighting mistakes. I see no reason for 5 either (merging this with unrelated lighting tropes). And I'm not sure how 1 would help - what is Hollywood Lighting?

Can we just name this Photoflood Lighting, since that's what it's actually called, and that name indicates the meaning even if you've never heard it before?

Also, how about sending it back to YKTTW?

edited 6th Jul '12 2:53:20 PM by Routerie

  • 1. Almost have to copy and paste the title every time I type it.
  • 5. Are they really unrelated?
  • 6. A major project, but such a page doesn't exist here.(Got one for cases at night, but nothing for daylight/shadows/the sun.)

edited 6th Jul '12 2:58:52 PM by spacemarine50

1 - But Hollywood Lighting would still be an unclear name.


Hollywood Darkness (terrible name) is the trope by which films portray darkness with blue light.

Unnaturally Blue Lighting is also about blue light, but not used to depict darkness. This trope may cover more than one thing.

Hollywood Light Bulb is about bright white light, not blue light.

Deliberately Monochrome is about forced black & white.


A missing index maybe, but Artistic License Lighting isn't a trope. We currently have a couple threads open about fixing the artistic license pages / removing their examples.

edited 6th Jul '12 3:08:07 PM by Routerie

Might use "light" instead of "lighting" from now on. My point is I want an index like Artistic License Light. (name is an example)

edited 6th Jul '12 7:01:25 PM by spacemarine50

6 Clarste6th Jul 2012 07:01:25 PM , Relationship Status: Non-Canon
One Winged Egret
Why is this called Hollywood Light Bulb in the first place? I like Photoflood Lighting.
We have (or at least had) a number of "behind-the-scenes" tropes about how TV shows are made that date to the earlier days of the wiki. How are those doing?
Before an Artistic License Lighting index, how about a plain Lighting Tropes index?

Edit: We have that. Hooray!

edited 6th Jul '12 9:32:34 PM by Routerie

I've put three compatible choices on the crowner. I don't think "convert to Artistic License Light" addresses the issue though, so I left it out.
Anyone else want to chime in?

edited 25th Jul '12 6:26:06 AM by Routerie

11 SeptimusHeap25th Jul 2012 09:02:35 AM from Laniakea , Relationship Status: Mu
This is basically Improbably Bright Lightbulb. So, it needs a rename
Not just improbably bright. They also can cast fill lighting instead of just coming from the bulb.
Have these issues been addressed in the crowner:

@9: This also has Missing Supertrope Syndrome, and there isn't an index about ArtisticLicense light done wrong.

edited 25th Jul '12 2:23:13 PM by spacemarine50

I disagree with the missing supertrope part, since I do not consider any of the Artistix License X pages tropes.
Any more votes?
16 SeptimusHeap5th Aug 2012 12:52:42 AM from Laniakea , Relationship Status: Mu
I've already voted on it, and I have to comment that Missing Supertrope issues don't depend upon something being a trope.
Had a thought: What is different between this and Absurdly Bright Light?
18 SeptimusHeap5th Aug 2012 01:34:21 AM from Laniakea , Relationship Status: Mu
The latter according to the description is comedic and about a relative strenght. This one is where the power source would be too weak.
Your latter point is not this. It's means 'light source is too weak or dimmer than it should be'. Don't know if this is already a trope, but it drifts into Hollywood Darkness.

edited 5th Aug '12 1:06:08 PM by spacemarine50

Hollywood Darkness is the next page we have to fix.

Absurdly Bright Light is a comedy trope, and we'd do well to mark it more clearly as such. Holywood Light Bulb is an actual lighting technique, photoflood lighting, that may or may not be suitable for the filmed setting.
All right, can we call this?
22 RJSavoy23rd Aug 2012 05:10:31 AM from Edinburgh , Relationship Status: I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me
Is this what is technically called "Aquarium Lighting"?
Is it? I don't know... a Google search for the term just brings up pages about lighting aquariums. Wikipedia also has a page on literal "aquarium lighting."

The article itself though says that this is known as "photoflood lighting."
24 RJSavoy28th Aug 2012 03:54:52 AM from Edinburgh , Relationship Status: I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me
I remember reading the term used for when an indoor scene is lit so that shadows only appear directly below objects. It was in French though. I must find a reference work for this.
25 ccoa28th Aug 2012 10:19:10 AM from the Sleeping Giant
Ravenous Sophovore
Calling crowner in favor of a rename.
Waiting on a TRS slot? Finishing off one of these cleaning efforts will usually open one up.

Alternative Titles: Hollywood Light Bulb
29th Aug '12 12:04:27 AM
Vote up names you like, vote down names you don't. Whether or not the title will actually be changed is determined with a different kind of crowner (the Single Proposition crowner). This one just collects and ranks alternative titles.
At issue:

Total posts: 34
1 2