Misused: Creators Pet get usage counts
- Character name
- How it meets the criteria "Hated by fans"
- How it meets the criteria "Loved by creators"
- How it meets the criteria "in important scenes"
- How it meets the criteria "Talked up by other characters.
edited 8th Sep '12 7:18:04 PM by notsomeone
- He is Ash's main rival in the Sinnoh region. He recycles most of Gary's character arc (dismissive of Ash, wins their early confrontations, starts to treat him better once Ash starts proving himself late in the region), but considerably more no-nonsense.
- He is also representative of “Stop Having Fun” Guys. He values Pokemon that prove themselves and is dismissive of those that don't, to the point of giving some of them away. This comes to a head in his treatment of Chimchar, an initially weak combatant with the impressive trait to become incredibly strong when sufficiently injured. He sees potential in this and attempts to harness this without success... usually by making Chimchar injured first. This is definitely a Kick the Dog situation for him, and Ash and other characters call him out for it. Some consider it to be crossing the Moral Event Horizon.
- The show treats him as a rival and as a successful trainer regardless of his methods. Champion Cynthia repeatedly states her opinion that Ash and Paul will both grow stronger and learn from each other as they continue to interact.
- Paul loses in the end, defeated by the very same Chimchar he cast off. He is disappointed but acknowledges that Ash earned the victory, and departs on good terms. He does not receive a crushing loss that destroys his worldview and there isn't much in the way of schadenfreude. His change in personality, where it exists, is subtle and attention isn't called to it.
- Current head writer Atsuhiro Tomioka has acknowledged that Paul is one of his favorite characters.
edited 21st Oct '12 3:16:07 AM by KSonik
edited 21st Oct '12 8:00:49 PM by shoboni
- Creator's Pet: Bab Seed fits all the criteria for this trope in the episodes that feature her. While some warmed up to her at the end of her debut episode there are still many people who harbour a rather venomous hatred of her. Come Apple Family Reunion, all Apple Bloom talks about is "My favourite cousin Bab!" and she gets loads more attention than any other relative at the party. It doesn't help that both Apple Family Reunion and One Bad Apple were both written by the same writer Cindy Morrow, leading to implications of writer favouritism.
edited 26th Dec '12 2:15:22 PM by Fighteer
- Hated by fans (The Scrappy)
- Talked up by the other characters (Character Shilling)
- Loved (or worshipped) by the writers
- Put into big scenes for no reason (Character Focus)
edited 29th Dec '12 4:39:32 PM by OldManHoOh
edited 3rd Jan '13 6:14:16 AM by shoboni
edited 8th Jan '13 1:58:51 PM by MagBas