edited 2nd Mar '12 6:50:10 PM by abk0100
edited 2nd Mar '12 7:01:46 PM by Raso
- As The Grand List of Console Role Playing Game Clichés #19 references, generally both the hero and his Arch-Nemesis use swords, so they can have a climactic Sword Fight. That weakens the case for Swords Are Heroic right away.
- Alternately, the main character is generally the Jack-of-All-Stats, and swords are the Mario of weapons.
- Using a sword can evoke a Knight in Shining Armor, but it can also mean the opposite. While spears, bows, axes, hammers, knives, et cetera can be used as tools, swords are purely weapons, and can represent a character trained for war.
- Using a sword represents Good Old Ways. This falls under Elegant Weapon for a More Civilized Age.
edited 5th Mar '12 7:21:47 AM by ccoa
edited 5th Mar '12 7:25:17 AM by TeraChimera
edited 5th Mar '12 7:41:44 AM by ccoa
edited 5th Mar '12 8:29:06 AM by Raso
- Swords As Weapon Of Choice: supertrope (with a better name, obviously)
- Swords Are Heroic: The perception that swords are more heroic/noble.
- Swords Are Warlike: The perception that swords represent war or warriors
- Swords Are Balanced: The (mostly) video game trope that swords are the most balanced weapon (and thus most likely to appear on the hero, who is likely to be the jack)
- Anachronistic Swordsman: A sword as a weapon of choice when it should be obsolete, because of one of the above tropes.
edited 5th Mar '12 11:37:02 AM by ccoa
Alternative Titles: Deprecated Weapon YKTTW
21st Jun '12 9:21:06 AM